edited February 2015
    Phoenix trades Isaiah Thomas to Boston
    OKC trades Kendrick Perkins to Utah
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    Philly sends Michael Carter Williams to Milwaukee
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    To acquire Goran Dragic, the Heat gave up Justin Hamilton, Danny Granger, Norris Cole, Shawne Williams and two first rounders. Pat Riley is a genius
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    Riley genius? Yes he is Kane. Danny Granger? Worthless and might be outta the league. OKC just struck a little fear in GS by dumping trouble maker RJax and saving almost 10 million in wasted salary on KPerkins. They now have Kantor, Augustine and Singler and a lot less interior problems.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    The two biggest winners today were the Heat and Thunder, when I first heard who the Heat gave up to get Dragic, I thought it was a joke, I really did, I still can't believe they got him for almost nothing, and I think the Thunder did great also, I'm high on Kantor, and they also got some serviceable pieces as well. I can guarantee no one wants to face either the Heat or Thunder in the first round, this years playoffs should be very exciting, can't wait.
  • TexasHookEmTexasHookEm Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    Just heard the Sixers have 8 picks in this years draft and, in general, own up to 17 picks from other teams. That is neat.
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    kane wrote: »
    The two biggest winners today were the Heat and Thunder, when I first heard who the Heat gave up to get Dragic, I thought it was a joke, I really did, I still can't believe they got him for almost nothing, and I think the Thunder did great also, I'm high on Kantor, and they also got some serviceable pieces as well. I can guarantee no one wants to face either the Heat or Thunder in the first round, this years playoffs should be very exciting, can't wait.

2 first round picks for 30 games of dragic? Not exactly "almost nothing"
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    worm33 wrote: »
    2 first round picks for 30 games of dragic? Not exactly "almost nothing"

Dragic said there were only three teams that he would sign a long term deal with, the Knicks, Lakers, and Heat. This is where he wanted to go, so I don't see any reason why he wouldn't re-sign with Miami. Also, the Heat will be the only team that can offer him a five year contract next year, if he signs with any other team, the most years he could get would be four. It's highly unlikely he would turn down an extra year to leave, assuming he's happy here and the Heat are happy with him, and there's no reason to think things won't work out in Miami. The only player I can think of to turn down the extra year was Dwight Howard, who left LA for a less lucrative contract in Houston, but that's because he hated playing with Kobe, so he took less money to leave. Not to mention, living in South Beach isn't so bad either.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    Also, it's not like those 2 first rounders are going to be lottery picks, more than likely they'll be in the mid to late twenties. Assuming Dragic signs long term, and even though anything is possible, the Heat are prohibitive favorites to re-sign him, than they got one of the best point guards in the league for basically two first round picks that probably won't be high ones. Besides, Pat Riley doesn't build teams through the draft, he doesn't have the patience, there are no five years plans with him, every year his goal is to win a championship, and you don't do that with first and second year players. And certainly not guys picked where the Heat would be picking anyway. Every talking head on TV and on twitter says the Heat stole Dragic, no one can believe they got him and didn't have to give up any of their better players. Dragic killed the Suns when he said he would only sign with the three teams I mentioned, thereby limiting what the Suns could get in return, so Riley low balled them figuring Phoenix didn't have much choice as the Knicks and Lakers both didn't have much to offer, so the Suns took the best deal they could. I know the Celtics would have loved to trade for him and would have offered a much better package that the Heat did, but Dragic made it very clear he wouldn't re-sign long term to play in Boston, so Riley swooped in and got the point guard he's been looking a long time for.
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    kane wrote: »
    Also, it's not like those 2 first rounders are going to be lottery picks, more than likely they'll be in the mid to late twenties. Assuming Dragic signs long term, and even though anything is possible, the Heat are prohibitive favorites to re-sign him, than they got one of the best point guards in the league for basically two first round picks that probably won't be high ones. Besides, Pat Riley doesn't build teams through the draft, he doesn't have the patience, there are no five years plans with him, every year his goal is to win a championship, and you don't do that with first and second year players. And certainly not guys picked where the Heat would be picking anyway. Every talking head on TV and on twitter says the Heat stole Dragic, no one can believe they got him and didn't have to give up any of their better players. Dragic killed the Suns when he said he would only sign with the three teams I mentioned, thereby limiting what the Suns could get in return, so Riley low balled them figuring Phoenix didn't have much choice as the Knicks and Lakers both didn't have much to offer, so the Suns took the best deal they could. I know the Celtics would have loved to trade for him and would have offered a much better package that the Heat did, but Dragic made it very clear he wouldn't re-sign long term to play in Boston, so Riley swooped in and got the point guard he's been looking a long time for.

Why not just keep the 2 1st rounders and sign dragic in the offseason? If they re-sign dragic it's a fine trade just don't see the narrative that it's such a steal. If he doesn't re-sign it seems like a poor trade.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    worm33 wrote: »
    Why not just keep the 2 1st rounders and sign dragic in the offseason? If they re-sign dragic it's a fine trade just don't see the narrative that it's such a steal. If he doesn't re-sign it seems like a poor trade.

Sure they could have waited for him to be a free agent next year, but there wouldn't be any guarantee he signs here, and it wasn't worth the risk, besides a SL of Wade, Dragic, Bosh, Deng, and Whiteside would have a chance to make some noise in this years playoffs (obviously no one knew at the time the seriousness of Bosh's illness, and it appears he'll miss the rest of the season). Also, don't you think Riley had some preliminary discussions with Dragic and his agent? I'm sure Riley knows there's a great chance he re-signs in Miami. If Riley thought there was a good chance of Dragic not staying, I'm sure he doesn't make the trade. And like I said before Dragic said the only teams he would sign a long term deal with were the Knicks (and that's only because he loves the city of NY, not their God awful roster), the Lakers (who have a bad roster themselves and play in the West), and the Heat (who, when fully healthy have a better chance of competing for a title than those other two), so Miami is only really competing with two other teams to sign him, and there's no reason to think he'll leave Miami once he gets here. When asked why Miami was one of his preferred destinations, his agent said, "First off, it's one of the best organizations in the NBA", "Second, they have a tremendous leader in Pat Riley, and a tremendous coach in Erik Spoelstra. And they've got a pretty good team. He thinks this team can accomplish a lot." And the odds of him not re-signing are slim, since the Heat are the only team who can offer him a five year deal. Riley gave up almost nothing for one of the best point guards in the league, I haven't come across anyone's opinion who thinks the Heat didn't steal him, even gas bag Barkley, and Bill Simmons, who are both known Heat haters.