Betting Talk

Jerry Tarkanian

RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
edited February 2015 in Sports Betting
Tark just passed away today @85. RIP.

Comments

• BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    Sad. Watched him suck on many a towel back in the day. Seems like yesterday he was prowling the sidelines-- actually 25 years ago now. RIP.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    Tark the shark. Bald headed dude chewing on a towel as his teams ran up and down the floor in a time where Dean Smith was using the four corners to kill the clock. Two legendary coaches whose game philosophy couldn't be different die a couple of days apart. Ironic.
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    Sad day for Rebel nation....they did a nice moment about praying for him in the hospital last night prior to tip off at the game....one thing I will say, if it weren't for the screw job he got from the NCAA...he would have been the first to 1000+ wins and not coach K...RIP Jerry
  • jmjm Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    Keep Tark, fire Maxon
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    Two legendary coaches whose game philosophy couldn't be different die a couple of days apart. Ironic.

Yep, and dies the day after the last two teams he coached squared off. The NCAA realy made life miserable for him. He finally prevailed in a large lawsuit settlement against them.
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    Anyone hear of any stuff that wasn't published about the "point shaving inquiry" into UNLV after the 90-91 season. I've thought all along that certain guys weren't giving their all at times that season. Here's something from the LA times about it from 1992

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-02-14/sports/sp-2218_1_unlv-president-robert-maxson

Those guys were men amongst boys when they wanted to turn up the defense. Suffocating. I wasn't a big fan but respected the hell out of how they played at times over the years for Tark.

Just curious if anyone had heard anything along the way with Richard Perry, the hot tub, or any other stuff about point shaving.
    edited February 2015
    Ed, I believe it was guilt by association. Richard"The Fixer"Perry would throw $$ around(meals etc) but there was no unnatural money bet on Duke in that championship game. They found nothing to substantiate the rumors.

Maybe the NCAA at that time shudda investigated John Wooden and Sam Gilbert's association. Ah, they are gone now so let them RIP.
  • Casper WareCasper Ware Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    loved it when at Thomas and mack they would play the jaws theme music for Tark the Shark
  • Casper WareCasper Ware Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    my buddy dana pump did a nice radio tribute to the tark
  • jmjm Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    edited February 2015
    jm wrote: »

Nice tribute to Tark pre game, and then post game with the dimming of the lights...bringing the chair from the final four out and placing it along the bench with the towels was first class, also the towels they gave out were a really nice touch/memoir
    edited February 2015
    Steve Wynn better thank his lucky stars that he went along with the light dimming. The backlash on Twitter and all of social media sure wouldn't help his property's bottomline. In case some of you weren't around for the feud, the Wynn's wanted Tark out of UNLV in the 90's. They cited bad publicity for the town.
    edited February 2015
    TheReb wrote: »
    the towels they gave out were a really nice touch/memoir

My kid went to game and gotta Tark towel. Neat how they made the A into a shark fin. Said the festivities were awesome but the team stunk up the joint.
    edited February 2015
    Ronbets wrote: »
    My kid went to game and gotta Tark towel. Neat how they made the A into a shark fin. Said the festivities were awesome but the team stunk up the joint.

Perception is a funny thing Ron, no doubt they missed opportunities on the offensive end but defensively they were a lot tougher as they kept Boise in check and it was a one possession game down to the last 2 min. ...considering they only dressed 7 scholarship players they held their own fairly well and I won't even get into the officiating....ask your kid what he thought of the officiating last night, most thought it was a complete joke and even heard mumblings of reference to the officials and the NCAA being it was Tark's night...I really hope this group stays together with the additions they should have coming in they could really be special next year...would love to see Wood stay and bulk up a bit.
    edited February 2015
    Mentioned something like 2-18 from beyond the arc. Many were uncontested looks. He did say they played good D but were miserably outrebounded. I'll ask about the officiating later.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited February 2015
    Ronbets wrote: »

If this is what the Mountain West has to offer, I'm glad I missed the game--- although I would've loved the Tark tribute.

BSU-- UNLV
    Points 53 48
    FG Made-Attempted 22-58 (.379) 18-60 (.300)
    3P Made-Attempted 1-18 (.056) 2-18 (.111)
    FT Made-Attempted 8-12 (.667) 10-15 (.667)
    Fouls (Tech/Flagrant) 17 (0/0) 15 (0/0)
    edited February 2015
    If this is what the Mountain West has to offer, I'm glad I missed the game--- although I would've loved the Tark tribute.

BSU-- UNLV
    Points 53 48
    FG Made-Attempted 22-58 (.379) 18-60 (.300)
    3P Made-Attempted 1-18 (.056) 2-18 (.111)
    FT Made-Attempted 8-12 (.667) 10-15 (.667)
    Fouls (Tech/Flagrant) 17 (0/0) 15 (0/0)

we were sweating the streak....longest streak in NCAA since inception of 3 pointer of hitting one in a game...lol, part of the problem at least on the Reb's side was they were getting mugged in the post without getting a call...the FT attempts should be closer to 25 imo as they had no answer for Wood down low.