Betting Talk

Australian Open Discussion

winner_13winner_13 Senior Member
edited January 2015 in Sports Betting
Thought I would start a thread on this.

If anyone has any good plays, knows any good cappers, good insight or anything on the games, posts are appreciated.

Comments

• srn828srn828 Member
    edited January 2015
    h82lose had a phenomenal record last year; no nonsense, just good solid +EV with high volume
  • winner_13winner_13 Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Yea I saw his thread this year and followed some of his plays. Been a bit shaky hoping it gets better.
    edited January 2015
    Anyone know what the odds were on Azarenka winning it before the tourney started?
    Can she make a run?
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Don't really handicap tennis (maybe a handful of plays a year), but I watch and follow plenty of it. Some thoughts on the first few days...

WTF happened to Sloane Stephens? A couple of years ago, I really thought that she was the next American hope and was headed for good things. Seems like her career has taken a nose dive, and it's not like it's all injury related or something like that, she's just playing like crap. McEnroe gave some good insight about thinking that it's pretty much mental and work ethic, in that she just doesn't have the drive to be great and gives up too easily.

Enjoyed watching Taylor Townsend play again tonight. I come away with the same thoughts as last summer though...she has incredible talent, but just needs to get in better shape. She's just so different than everyone else on tour right now (seems like 90% of players these days are the same cookie-cutter looks/game).

Azarenka looked pretty good. She's got a really tough draw though (unfair that she wasn't seeded, both to her and to Wozniacki that they'll have to face each other in the 2nd round, could have to face last year's finalist Cibulkova in the Round of 16 and then Serena in the quarters). She'll have to be on her game just to make it to the quarters and then she'd be a big dog against Serena if they both make it that far.

My biggest criticism of the tourney thusfar...when did "short shorts" start to become in again for men? Both Nadal and Berdych went with the short shorts look yesterday. That's one fashion fad that I could do without coming back into style.
    edited January 2015
    I rarely ever bet futures but I would've liked to throw something on Azarenka just for fun, give me a sweat to cheer for as I assume her odds would be greater than 15-1. Anyone know what her pre-tourney odds were?
    Yes I remember Sloane being touted as the next big American.

Tommy, I saw your NCAA thread today, are you having an off year?
    edited January 2015
    winner_13 wrote: »
    I rarely ever bet futures but I would've liked to throw something on Azarenka just for fun, give me a sweat to cheer for as I assume her odds would be greater than 15-1. Anyone know what her pre-tourney odds were?
    Yes I remember Sloane being touted as the next big American.

From what I see checking some articles, Vika was about 15-1 to win it heading into today, but was about 7-1 before the seeds and draw were announced.

This is the worst I've done in hoops since I started capping it, just a brutal few months.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited January 2015

Winner13,
    Gamblers Charm School has been offering fullboat scholarships here in Vegas. Ask Tommy or Edward to sponsor you. Good luck.
  • WeirWeir Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    I see AB is sharing some plays on his twit
  • WeirWeir Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Thought I would start a thread on this.

If anyone has any good plays, knows any good cappers, good insight or anything on the games, posts are appreciated.

@bostonred88: Aussie open day 3 Tomic-50 Kokkinakis+25 Rosol-45 Baghdatis+210 Kyrgios+150 Seppi+60
  • WeirWeir Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    @bostonred88: Dimitrov und 311/2 games Murray over 311/2
    edited January 2015
    Never followed boston ' s tennis plays, how does he do?
    edited January 2015
    Azarenka - Wozniacki should be a really good early round action match tomorrow.
    edited January 2015
    This Panova-Sharapova match is a fun one to watch. Not exactly the greatest quality of tennis, but it's been exciting.
  • dtrain11dtrain11 Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    TommyL wrote: »
    This Panova-Sharapova match is a fun one to watch. Not exactly the greatest quality of tennis, but it's been exciting.

I find all of Sharapova matches "fun". At least part of me does.
    edited January 2015
    Does anyone know how many sets it has to go for books to grade the match if a player retires?

Mannarino retired in the 4th, he was up 2-1 sets (and was down 4-0 in the 4th set)
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    What happened to the turd?

Adrian Mannarino ML (-125)
    Round 2 - Feliciano Lopez vs Adrian Mannarino - Spread = Games Won and Total = Games Played
    Scheduled : 01/21/15 7:04 PM (EST)
    Accepted: 01/21/15 6:55 PM (EST)
    Sport: Other Sports - Tennis - Game (#8338)
    Ticket #: 108167068
    Risk/Win: $125.00/$100.00
    Outcome: Loss
    edited January 2015
    Does anyone know how many sets it has to go for books to grade the match if a player retires?

Mannarino retired in the 4th, he was up 2-1 sets (and was down 4-0 in the 4th set)

It all depends on your book, so check their rules. And it really varies from book to book. Some will have action once the first point is played, some will be after one set, and others will have action only if the match is completed. And I'm really just talking about moneylines here, as spreads/totals will only have action if the match is completed.
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited January 2015

Pretty much exactly what Tommy said but here's my shops rules

1. Match Betting: Two full sets must be completed for wagers to stand. If less than two sets are completed, all wagers will be graded as NO ACTION and the money will be refunded.

2. Set Betting: If a player retires or is disqualified at any point during a match Set Betting wagers are void. If the match is shortened for any reason and a winner declared then all bets will be cancelled and the money will be refunded.

Example: Set Spread Betting

Maria Sharapova - Sets +1.5 (-110)
    Serena Williams - Sets -1.5 (-110)

Let’s assume the match ends with the following score:

Maria Sharapova 4 3
    Serena Williams 6 6

Based on the score above Serena Williams wins the match 2 sets to 0. All wagers on Serena Williams -1.5 sets would be graded the winner (2 – 0 = 2).

3. Game Betting: If a player retires or is disqualified at any point during a match Game Betting wagers are void. If the match is shortened for any reason and a winner declared then all bets will be cancelled and the money will be refunded.

Example: Game Betting

Maria Sharapova +4.5 (-110) OV20.5
    Serena Williams -4.5 (-110) UN20.5

Let’s assume the match ends with the following score:

Maria Sharapova 4 3
    Serena Williams 6 6

Based on the score above Serena Williams would defeat Maria Sharapova 12 games to 7 games. That would mean all wagers on Williams -4.5 games would be graded as the winner (12 – 7 = 5), as well as all wagers on under 20.5 games (12 + 7 = 19).

4. Delay or Suspension: If the start of a match is delayed, or if play during a match is suspended, all pending wagers will remain valid for 48 hours. If the postponement lasts more than 48 hours, all wagers will be canceled and the monies refunded.

5. In the event a match does not go the specified number of sets, and the match is shortened by tournament officials, the leader determined to be official by tournament officials shall be the winner. Example: A match is scheduled for 5 sets, but only 3 sets can be played because of weather. The leader at the end of 3 sets would be declared the winner of the match.

6. Futures (Ante post) Betting: All futures (Ante post) bets have action. Should a player withdraw before a tournament begins, bets on that player to win the tournament lose.

7. Change of Venue or Playing Surface: If the venue or playing surface for a match is changed, the wagering odds for match bets will be adjusted. Match bets placed at the pre-adjustment odds are void. Futures or Ante post wagers will stand.
    edited January 2015
    Thanks, I didn't see what happened to Mannirino, anyone know?
    edited January 2015
    How come in tennis the players never talk to each other after the game?
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    How come in tennis the players never talk to each other after the game?

Just a wild guess................maybe the language barrier might have something to do with it?

Just another wild guess of your age...................under 21 dog115
    edited January 2015
    Lol yes but even the ones that can speak the same language don't communicate at the end at all. Just the shake hands which they make it seem like they're forced to do but don't really care to.