Betting Talk

Is this an April Fools joke in Dec.

Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
edited December 2014 in Sports Betting
Chase Headley In 58 games who is 30 years old hit 262 28 runs 6 HR's and 17 RBI's signs for 52 million for 4 years.
Alex Rios signs a year contract with KC for 11 Million Rios is 33 years old hit 280 with 4 HR's and 54 RBI's in 131 Games
Jed Lowrie who is 30 years old going back to Houston for 23 million for 3 years Who played 97 Games in 2012 hit 249 6 HR'S and 50 RBI's in 136 games.

Wow talk about hitting the lottery

Comments

• golfguru1golfguru1 Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Yeah NYY has a lot of $ tied up at 3rd base with two that are not good.

Looks like another cellar dweller season.
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited December 2014
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Chase Headley In 58 games who is 30 years old hit 262 28 runs 6 HR's and 17 RBI's signs for 52 million for 4 years.
    Alex Rios signs a year contract with KC for 11 Million Rios is 33 years old hit 280 with 4 HR's and 54 RBI's in 131 Games
    Jed Lowrie who is 30 years old going back to Houston for 23 million for 3 years Who played 97 Games in 2012 hit 249 6 HR'S and 50 RBI's in 136 games.

Wow talk about hitting the lottery

Rios will be the interesting one. He was hitting over .300 most of the first 4 months, thought he was going to get traded, didn't, and went into a slump in August before he got hurt(or because he was playing hurt), and was done for the year. His extreme drop in power playing in Texas was puzzling, but he is going to a team that doesn't care too much about power, but likes his speed on the bases. He was running very well until he started to get banged up later in the year. His BA will always define his season since he doesn't walk much. He has always been an enigma but playing with a 1 yr contract, KC has a chance to see the good Alex. I'm sure KC would be happy with .280-.300, and 25 SB's. Any upswing in his power will be a bonus, don't expect the 25 HR Alex coming back, but 10-15 should be doable. It is an upgrade for them in RF, gives them depth in the OF keeping Dyson and Gore coming off the bench, and gives them insurance in case Morales doesnt bounce back at DH(and another added option of moving Rios to DH when Dyson plays).
  • groovinmahoovingroovinmahoovin Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    It's (almost) 2015. Salaries are higher, offense rates are lower, and no one uses RBI anymore, so these deals aren't strange at all. The Lowrie contract seems perfectly average and the Headley contract could well turn out to be below market value, particularly when comparing it to the Sandoval contract. Rios seems like a bit of an odd match in KC but it's a one year deal, so how bad can it be.

If the context is more, wow, salaries have gotten high, that's certainly true, but there's a lot of TV money now.
  • Octan21Octan21 Member
    edited December 2014
    Well-said Groovin. Most of these teams have saber-people in the front office, i.e. Houston. They tend to spend their $ wisely. Kansas City on the other hand as others have pointed out, tends to do things in a different ( and most would say less-optimal ) way.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Look I understand if the owners weren't making it they couldn't pay it and if that's the market that's what it is. I'm all for the players always have been and I'm not begrudging them because I would have pen in hand also but it's gotten really crazy. Headley 4 years 13 Million a year It's a joke.

On to another topic for us Yankee fans Headley should hit 35 HR's in Yankee stadium at the very least. Will see. They say (Love that word they) Cashman wants to go into a different direction and get away from the Arod/Jeter money well with the money they charge to go to a game and the fans in New York good luck with that. Say bye bye to Cashman. JG saved his ass last year will see this year. They're also assuming Tanaka is good because of the two starts he had in September I hope there right and CC needs to reinvent himself. Maybe we can get JO-BA back that would help :)

Baseball right around the corner. Hoping to hear from you Groovin a little this year.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    I don't get all the love for Chase Headley, the guy had one really good year a few years ago with the Padres, other than that he's been very mediocre. OT, I know you're just joking with the 35 HR comment
  • bumpobumpo Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Bill Veeck nailed it when he said:
    It isn't the high price of stars that is expensive, it's the high price of mediocrity.
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    I really like Headley and had no issue with that deal. I'd rather have Headley at 4/52 than Pablo at 5/95. Really good defender, gets on base, certainly an above average hitter, can play multiple positions. wRC+, which is park adjusted, over the last 4 years is 121. Without looking, that might make him the best hitter on the Yankees. Don't forget he was in Petco his whole career prior to the end of last season. This also allows Prado to move to 2nd so they patched that hole, too. I doubt the Yankees were the only team interested in him at that price - I was hoping my Tigers would go after him but opted for overrated Cespedes instead. And I was hoping they'd drop Joba from a plane back into Yankee Stadium, but neither of those happened.
    edited December 2014
    Tigers would go after him but opted for overrated Cespedes instead. And I was hoping they'd drop Joba from a plane back into Yankee Stadium, but neither of those happened.

I agree with this not Yankee Stadium part some place else and also wasn't happy with them giving up Porcello.
  • homerplayerhomerplayer Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Anyone read Nate Silver's book? Had a chapter in there about baseball and measuring stats/comparing players. Also
    Went into 28 years being the age when the majority of players see a peak in the abilities and production. Naturally there will be (very few) exceptions to this, and these inside guys are aware of the peak, but I never understand when these huge contracts to guys more than likely on the downside of their careers.
  • groovinmahoovingroovinmahoovin Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Most of you are experiencing sticker shock in this thread -- in the current market, the contracts mentioned aren't huge at all. Also, defining Headley as "mediocre"outside his one monster year is an impossibly high standard.
    edited December 2014
    Most of you are experiencing sticker shock in this thread -- in the current market, the contracts mentioned aren't huge at all. Also, defining Headley as "mediocre"outside his one monster year is an impossibly high standard.

Your right at first glance 52 Million for 4 years sounded insane but after a little research and reading some articles from New York writers that I respect the contact wasn't bad at all and I believe now as they do it will play out nicely. To be honest I've been saying this a while now and it appears it may be happening to tell New York to stop going after every big name player that's past his prime with huge contracts. New York is a tough town and I'm sure if you ask most about the Headley contract the first response would be they're crazy.

It's also tough to play in N.Y. not everybody can so hopefully the fans in New York will realize the direction the Yankees seem to be headed in and cut the team a little slack and let this play out. It looks as if baseball is going back to a few years ago with good pitching and people that can catch the ball will at least take priority over Home Run Hitters with the big resume that can no longer produce those numbers. Yes baseball is changing and old timers like myself have been wanting it and now it's seems to be happening and after being condition by baseball for some many years a slight change happens and people tend to over-react. Looking forward to baseball season although I'm having a very good NBA season and enjoy that sport but baseball is always on count down.

Really hope to see more of you this year and discussion about baseball are always needed.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Just to clarify my position on the Headley signing. I don't necessarily have a problem with the money he's getting, 52M over 4 years doesn't seem to out of line to me. The problem I have is why the Yankees want him to be their third baseman for the next four years, I'm not saying the guy is a bum, but it seems to me that the Yankees could have done better then Chase Headley for the next four years
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    kane wrote: »
    I'm not saying the guy is a bum, but it seems to me that the Yankees could have done better then Chase Headley for the next four years

There aren't any 3rd basemen worth anything right now. Look at this list of the guys that "qualified" based on playing time last year.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/position/3b/sort/OPS/order/true

Only 2 hit over .290

Here's the list of free agent signings this year. Other than Sandoval, who the Yankees weren't going to get, what's the next best option?

these guys have been signed

http://espn.go.com/mlb/freeagents/_/type/signed

these guys still available

http://espn.go.com/mlb/freeagents

Garbage at 3B. Headley isn't worth the money, IMO, but considering the alternatives it's a reasonable signing. Better that they signed a 30 year old to this number than the crap they normally do and overpay for an older player at the same/higher price level. (Last year 3 for 45 million for 36 year old C. Beltran)