Betting Talk

? For Wisc Football Sharps. BBadger et al

RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
edited December 2014 in Sports Betting
Have you ever considered why coaches that have following Barry Alvarez leave prematurely? I can't figure out this quote from Alvarez. "Every football coach that I hire just adds to my legacy."
Wasn't Barry the coach when his team failed to get into the "victory formation" and a subsequent fumble cost them the game? Don't get me wrong this guy was one HELLUVA coach. But as AD? Just wondering.....

Comments

• namathfannamathfan Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Bucky Badger is much closer to the program than I. However, that is kind of an odd quote, Barry does have an out-sized personality and perhaps that's a bit of ego talking.

Seems like we are going to hire Paul Chryst. Born in Madison, played for UW and coached for us.

I think for him personally this is a destination job, let's just hope he's up to it.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Have you ever considered why coaches that have following Barry Alvarez leave prematurely? I can't figure out this quote from Alvarez. "Every football coach that I hire just adds to my legacy."
    Wasn't Barry the coach when his team failed to get into the "victory formation" and a subsequent fumble cost them the game? Don't get me wrong this guy was one HELLUVA coach. But as AD? Just wondering.....
    Ron--IMHO Barry Alvarez is a very good AD--the building expansion and facilities upgrades that have taken place during his tenure are equal to or better than any other B1G school. As far as coaches leaving, probably an unfair characterization, to say they left because of Barry. He's hired 2 FB coaches. Bielema and Anderson. Bielema was here for 7 years and left to go to the SEC (and probably more so to save his marriage) And Andersen left to go to Oregon St because he was "told to go there" as he put it (I guess by some higher being). The Andersen, thing puzzles me some, as it has been reported that he was dissatisfied with his ability to get junior college transfers (which Andersen was himself) and other recruits into school at Wis because of the academic standards. I think he should have known that it was tough to get some kids into school here, before he ever took the job. I remember the first time I met Andersen, he said that he would be at UW "as long as they would have him". I guess, things change, but I don't believe he left because of Alvarez. The other major sport, men's basketball, has had Bo Ryan as its coach, during Alvarez's entire time as AD. Many other things involved here, Barry's dichotomatic personality, ego, aloofness, condescending attitude and other faults people find with him. To me, personally, he's always been engaging, open to questions and quite friendly. Anyway, we could discuss Alvarez ad nauseum but it would take up too much time and space. As for the "take a knee" game, as it was called, they could not have run out the clock by doing so, and he did hand off the ball to Ron Dayne who unfortunately fumbled, leading to the late Northwestern TD that won the game. As for hiring Paul Chryst. I love the hire. He's the right guy, at the right time, and I believe he will be here for as along as they'll have him.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Also Ron, that's the first time I have seen that Alvarez quote you referenced. I'm not saying he doesn't have a big ego and personality, but he's usually pretty careful about what he says for public consumption.
  • namathfannamathfan Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Interesting to hear your thoughts BB.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Bucky, what a about the revolving door issue for assistant coaches? Wisky by law or something else is onea the lowest paying salaries for assistants in the conference. That might have a little to do with it also. The Alvarez quote I cited? The source was ex-Wolverine Amanti Toomer on an NBC feed.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    As for the "take a knee" game, as it was called, they could not have run out the clock by doing so, and he did hand off the ball to Ron Dayne who unfortunately fumbled, leading to the late Northwestern TD that won the game. .
    I remember the game(18years ago) like it was yesterday. I could be wrong but don't think so. Here's a cut from the article. 10/21/96:

Instead of ordering quarterback Mike Samuel to take a knee and run down the clock, Wisconsin coach Barry Alvarez chose to put the game in the hands of freshman tailback Ron Dayne.
    http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1996/oct/21/wisconsin-badgered-alvarezs-controversial/
  • Chisox6Chisox6 Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Ron--IMHO Barry Alvarez is a very good AD--the building expansion and facilities upgrades that have taken place during his tenure are equal to or better than any other B1G school. As far as coaches leaving, probably an unfair characterization, to say they left because of Barry. He's hired 2 FB coaches. Bielema and Anderson. Bielema was here for 7 years and left to go to the SEC (and probably more so to save his marriage) And Andersen left to go to Oregon St because he was "told to go there" as he put it (I guess by some higher being). The Andersen, thing puzzles me some, as it has been reported that he was dissatisfied with his ability to get junior college transfers (which Andersen was himself) and other recruits into school at Wis because of the academic standards. I think he should have known that it was tough to get some kids into school here, before he ever took the job. I remember the first time I met Andersen, he said that he would be at UW "as long as they would have him". I guess, things change, but I don't believe he left because of Alvarez. The other major sport, men's basketball, has had Bo Ryan as its coach, during Alvarez's entire time as AD. Many other things involved here, Barry's dichotomatic personality, ego, aloofness, condescending attitude and other faults people find with him. To me, personally, he's always been engaging, open to questions and quite friendly. Anyway, we could discuss Alvarez ad nauseum but it would take up too much time and space. As for the "take a knee" game, as it was called, they could not have run out the clock by doing so, and he did hand off the ball to Ron Dayne who unfortunately fumbled, leading to the late Northwestern TD that won the game. As for hiring Paul Chryst. I love the hire. He's the right guy, at the right time, and I believe he will be here for as along as they'll have him.

Agree with most of the above, I will also add that the main reasons GA left include (high up on the list in my opinion) being uncomfortable at a program with a lot of media attention and scrutiny like UW. His handling of the McEvoy-Stave situation and also the mysterious 2nd half with MG3 during the LSU game was a complete disaster. I think he'll do OK at OSU and probably have several 8-4 type seasons and be able to recruit west coast kids there, including LDS kids and also JUCOS (whom he had a hard time getting admitted to UW). I'm not in love with the Chryst hire, but I agree right hire right time and I am very excited about getting back to a pro-style offense. I honestly think it will work out best for both UW and GA. I think BA's role as an AD played very little role.
  • Chisox6Chisox6 Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Bucky, what a about the revolving door issue for assistant coaches? Wisky by law or something else is onea the lowest paying salaries for assistants in the conference. That might have a little to do with it also. The Alvarez quote I cited? The source was ex-Wolverine Amanti Toomer on an NBC feed.

The asst coach pay is totally overblown IMO. Aranda and Ludwig were just below average for the conference, but got double what they were getting at Utah St and hadn't ever proved their worth in a power 5 conference. I doubt Aranda stays, but if he does, I would expect a small raise next year. Ludwig hasn't done anything to warrant more $ IMO. In the past, UW has paid asst coaches well if warranted (see Chryst when UW was trying to get him away from UW for offensive coordinator). Also, BB complained about asst coach pay and claimed it would be better at ARK, then he lost Ash the next season (to a lower paying job at Ohio ST).

As an alum I would like to see UW expand their recruiting budget a bit, that complaint has some validity.