Betting Talk

Bowl Games Discussion

StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
edited January 2015 in Sports Betting
Figured it may be a good idea to get a thread up about any and all bowl games people may want to share opinions or insight on. Cant hurt right?

Ill just throw out there the games Im looking at / have a lean on. Opinions may come across as over simplistic, fair warning!

TCU -3 - I posted this a couple days back in my cfb picks thread. Ive come to learn a few things about capping bowl games over the years (granted Im much younger than a lot of people here Im sure). One is obvious. Motivation. So many times in these bowls I see teams that are just plain flat while others come out with their hair on fire. IMO, TCU has a ton to prove in this game. I also believe they are the better team overall, especially with the injuries that Miss has suffered throughout the year. Also...I cant trust Bo. So i like the 3.

Mich St +3 - Im hoping this gets to 3.5. Baylor hasnt seen a defense like this since.....well....you tell me. I know this sort of goes against what I just said about motivation right? If TCU has something to prove shouldnt Baylor as well? Sure, however....and this is just my opinion and I may very well be wrong. I think Baylor has and will have the "we were robbed mentality". Esp with these kids hearing for a month that they were from their fans and media. I just have a feel Baylor wont be as up for this game as TCU will be for theirs. Again, its just a feel and I could be wrong. Also....and more importantly, gimme Dantonio and a month to prepare getting points against a team who never has to play against any real Ds. I have been super high on MSU all year and still believe they are one of the elite teams (yes, you can call me captain obvious if you want).

FLA St +9 / 9.5 - I posted at +8 and honestly have been surprised by the move up. Id love to see 10 or better, Id certainly be betting it again. I still think its going to close at less than 10. My opinion on this one is nothing close to rocket science. I think Oregon and FSU have some similar speed. Oregon wont be turning the corner on these guys and just running away from them like is the case so many times w/ Ore. If you have even close to equal speed and athleticism as Oregon you are better off than 99% of the rest of the country. Top that off with a team that somehow, some way NEVER loses and certainly wont shrink under the bright lights....AND I get more than a score....I cant pass that up.

ND +7.5 - Im torn on this one but leaning ND right now. LSU loves playing close games. Do they ever really blow out good (even above avg) teams? Tigers cant pass the ball and I like Brian Kelly with a month to get ready. Hell find ways for ND to score and be able to keep this a close game.

Miss St / GA Tech - Ive been on GT a bunch this yr and love me some Paul Johnson. HOWEVER....having just a week to prepare for his option is a HUGE difference than having a month. Miss St has the athleticism IMO, to keep the option in check...to an extent. Id love to hear other peoples opinions on this one. I lean GT with the current 7.5. But if it were to drop to less than 7, I may like Miss St.

East Carolina / FLA - Always weird dealing with a team who is undergoing a coaching change in these games. No clue how FLA will respond. Again, would love to hear some input on this one. We all know FLA has the D to stand up to most any O, and I am not real high on EC.

Wisky / Auburn - How does Wisky respond off that ass kicking they just got? I obviously love the Wisky running game, but a lack of a real QB is a concern in a game I could see Auburn turning into a track meet. Edge to AUB in the coaching dept IMO, which if you havent noticed I value very much in the bowls.

Mizzou -5.5 - small lean here for me. Im a big fan of what Minny has done this season, but I think Mizzou may just overpower them and wear them down as the game goes on.

K St / UCLA - I dont love the matchup for K St, but again....love the coaching edge they have in this one. One of the more interesting games of bowl season IMO.

WV / T A&M OVER 64.5 - ??

OK, well I think thats all I got for now. Interested to see what some of the bright minds around here think about all the games.

Comments

• BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited December 2014
  • StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    not a lot of interest in this I see.....I tried!
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    I don't think Wisconsin shows up for their bowl. Gordon is leaving, their coach is leaving, and there's a rumor that Stave will transfer, not to mention getting raped by OSU, it makes you wonder where that team is mentally right now. Maybe someone who follows them could expand on this, but it looks to me like the Badgers could be a no show against Auburn
    edited December 2014
    kane wrote: »
    I don't think Wisconsin shows up for their bowl. Gordon is leaving, their coach is leaving, and there's a rumor that Stave will transfer, not to mention getting raped by OSU, it makes you wonder where that team is mentally right now. Maybe someone who follows them could expand on this, but it looks to me like the Badgers could be a no show against Auburn

Andersen leaving is a HUGE surprise to me. I see that as a downward step. Not even close to a lateral move. Weird to me.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Andersen leaving is a HUGE surprise to me. I see that as a downward step. Not even close to a lateral move. Weird to me.

I posted the same thing, on the surface this move doesn't make sense
  • helmuthelmut Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    I like the Air Force/WMU game over. Air Force defense was not that good against the pass and WMU defense statistically was Ok against the run but when they played teams that could run the ball it was not that good. The big teams like Purdue and Virginia Tech just killed them on the ground. I think they may have some problems against the Falcon option.
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    "FLA St +9 / 9.5 - I posted at +8 and honestly have been surprised by the move up. Id love to see 10 or better, Id certainly be betting it again. I still think its going to close at less than 10. My opinion on this one is nothing close to rocket science. I think Oregon and FSU have some similar speed. Oregon wont be turning the corner on these guys and just running away from them like is the case so many times w/ Ore. If you have even close to equal speed and athleticism as Oregon you are better off than 99% of the rest of the country. Top that off with a team that somehow, some way NEVER loses and certainly wont shrink under the bright lights....AND I get more than a score....I cant pass that up."I will be taking the 'Noles ML on this fwiw, have you ever seen a duck egg? Jameis will be second in the media to his new Heisman brother ;)
  • helmuthelmut Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    TheReb wrote: »
    "FLA St +9 / 9.5 - I posted at +8 and honestly have been surprised by the move up. Id love to see 10 or better, Id certainly be betting it again. I still think its going to close at less than 10. My opinion on this one is nothing close to rocket science. I think Oregon and FSU have some similar speed. Oregon wont be turning the corner on these guys and just running away from them like is the case so many times w/ Ore. If you have even close to equal speed and athleticism as Oregon you are better off than 99% of the rest of the country. Top that off with a team that somehow, some way NEVER loses and certainly wont shrink under the bright lights....AND I get more than a score....I cant pass that up."I will be taking the 'Noles ML on this fwiw, have you ever seen a duck egg? Jameis will be second in the media to his new Heisman brother ;)

Scary when you watch GT run the ball at will on them when they knew it was coming. Oregon can probably run it just as well plus they have a QB that can pass. Even when GT had the ball on their own three yard line they carved up FSU defense with an inept passing game like a hot knife through butter. I see no way Oregon doesn't score at least 90 here.
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    helmut wrote: »
    Scary when you watch GT run the ball at will on them when they knew it was coming. Oregon can probably run it just as well plus they have a QB that can pass. Even when GT had the ball on their own three yard line they carved up FSU defense with an inept passing game like a hot knife through butter. I see no way Oregon doesn't score at least 90 here.
    You must be expecting Oregon to force a lot of 3 and outs either way if they do score 90 then I guess I'm expecting Jameis to get them to 91 because he just seems to refuse to lose even when it comes to possible sexual assault cases.
    edited December 2014
    In case some havent heard.....

According to a report from Yahoo's Rand Getlin, Oregon cornerback Ifo Ekpre-Olomu suffered a "serious knee injury" in practice on Tuesday. The school fears it could be a torn ACL.

If it is a torn ACL it's obviously terrible news for both Oregon and Ekpre-Olomu.

Ekpre-Olomu is Oregon's best cover corner, and he was one of three finalists for this year's Jim Thorpe Award, given to the best defensive back in the nation. Not having Ekpre-Olomu available for the Ducks playoff game against Florida State in the Rose Bowl is a huge blow to the defense.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited December 2014

Surprised most Badger fans too. Reports from good sources, that he was simply in over his head. His interactions with the media made him often seem "doltish" The reports that he left because he couldn't get JC transfers and other players, less focused academically seem disingenuous to me because, he knew what he was getting into (academically) when he came here. Lots of excitement over the Chryst hiring, esp with the anticipated staff of Rudolph, Aranda, Bostad, House, Brown and others. I wouldn't bet on the Badgers in the bowl game, not because they won't be ready (Alvarez is ostensibly coaching the team) but because I believe them to be out-talented
    edited December 2014
    Any chance Bucky you could go into more detail (if you know) about the "in over his head" talk from sources? Are we talking just media attention / fan attention or are we talking recruiting at a higher level? Im just wondering
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Any chance Bucky you could go into more detail (if you know) about the "in over his head" talk from sources? Are we talking just media attention / fan attention or are we talking recruiting at a higher level? Im just wondering

I think the main reason he left was because he never felt "comfortable" or "at home" here. He was great with the players and was purportably a "players' coach" He never got comfortable with the media, boosters, fans, or parents, and you could see it with his interactions with any of those groups. He didn't like the party atmosphere (although he isn't a Mormon, he was in that culture for a long time before coming to Madison) that seems to prevail in Mad-Town. Things like the student sections yelling "EAT SHIT and FUCK YOU" back and forth at one another during every home game bothered both he and his wife. A coach at Wisconsin is expected to interact with and support the Wisconsin High School Football Coaches Assn. and he never did that. Alvarez and Bielema had good relationships with that group and it helped to build the proverbial recruiting wall around the state. The first time I met Gary, he said that Wisconsin was a "destination" job for him and he would be here as long as Wis would have him. Oh how things changed in two short years. I believe he had already made his decision to take the Oreg St job before the Badgers played in the B1G Ten championship, and to some extent, it showed. I do think he was a pretty good recruiter and opened some new doors, but again I think the main reason he left was that the just never felt like he "fit-in" here and when the opportunity came to head back west, for him and his family, he jumped at it. Because he is a good, loyal and morale person, I imagine it was a tough decision to leave after he had promised to stay here. Many other "little " things that I did not mention, but IMHO this is the jist of it.
    edited December 2014
    Just saw this......

When Fresno State takes the field this postseason, it’ll do so without a veteran piece of its defensive secondary puzzle.

According to the Fresno Bee, Curtis Riley will not play in Wednesday night’s Hawaii Bowl vs. Rice
    because of a sprained foot. The cornerback sustained the injury in the Mountain West Conference championship game loss to Boise State a week and a half ago.
  • rcmoneyrcmoney Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Thanks for the info that may explain rice minus 2 1/2 now
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Clint Trickett is out for WVU
    edited December 2014
    Clint Trickett is out for WVU

Total drop makes sense now. Thanks Kane
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Total drop makes sense now. Thanks Kane

Total and line, the game is now a pick at most places, and Cris just went A&M -1, if there's anyone here who follows WVU and knows anything about their backup, please post whatever info you've got on the guy
    edited December 2014
    Sucks for Trickett. Apparently hes had 5 concussions in 14 months, hid two from trainers. Done playing.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Sucks for Trickett. Apparently hes had 5 concussions in 14 months, hid two from trainers. Done playing.

I don't think he had a future beyond college anyway, but that many concussions in that short of a time is pretty scary, at this point hopefully for him there aren't any long term issues, and he can live a normal healthy life
    edited December 2014
    I don't think he had a future beyond college anyway, but that many concussions in that short of a time is pretty scary, at this point hopefully for him there aren't any long term issues, and he can live a normal healthy life

http://espn.go.com/college-football/bowls14/story/_/id/12081388/clint-trickett-west-virginia-mountaineers-stop-playing-football-concussions

here is the ESPN link
    edited December 2014
    Sounds like Ty Montgomery WONT play for Stanford Vs Mary.
  • BigPermBigPerm Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Wish I knew more about the ND QB situatuon. I know who's starting, but what % will he and EG split?
  • MrAdvantageMrAdvantage Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    BigPerm wrote: »
    Wish I knew more about the ND QB situatuon. I know who's starting, but what % will he and EG split?

seems like splitting the duty never works out in these big games. kids play too tentative and fail
    edited January 2015
    Pitt has moved from 3 1/2 to 6 at BM in the last 3 hours - Not sure it means anything especially with the way the dogs have been barking ....