Betting Talk

? For NFL Sharps

RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
edited December 2014 in Sports Betting
Last night in GBay, coach McCarthy made a late game decision. RIGHT or WRONG?
Situation: GB up 40-30 with 4+ minutes left. 4th and short on ATL 35. He opts for a 53 yd field goal attempt in less than ideal conditions.

btw, Do you think Bill Parcells wudda made the same decision?

Comments

• kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Ron I'm gonna steal this & post it over at Peeps. Might get interesting over there.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    I would have gone for it. I can't recall how many yards they needed for a first, but I remember thinking I would trust Aaron Rodgers in this spot before I would trust a kicker attempting a long fg in cold weather, and if they score a td, the game is over, but even going up 13, with the way the falcons were moving the ball it left the door open for Atlanta to score twice and win, which might have happened if they recovered the onsides kick. I was surprised McCarthy opted for the fg attempt
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited December 2014
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Whatta u think Stevie?
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    ebemiss wrote: »

Fuck the bot, you have Aaron Rodgers at QB, you trust him to get the first down and eat more clock. The situation isn't the same for every team, if that was Geno Smith, Derek Carr, or Luke McCown last night, you kick the fg, but when you have a HOF QB and the guy who will probably be the MVP, you put the ball in his hands and take your chances. I can guarantee you guys Belichick would have gone for it
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited December 2014
    Weather was mild, no wind, strong legged kicker who is used to worse conditions, got no problem with the kick(Assuming Crosby told McCarthy he had no distance limitations after warmups). No problem if they went for it either, punting would have been the WTF move.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    StevieY wrote: »
    Weather was mild, no wind, strong legged kicker who is used to worse conditions, got no problem with the kick(Assuming Crosby told McCarthy he had no distance limitations after warmups). No problem if they went for it either, punting would have been the WTF move.
    ^^^^^^^ This
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Ron I'm gonna steal this & post it over at Peeps. Might get interesting over there.

Their answer is punt, always. 3rd and goal, punt.
  • nipsyhustlenipsyhustle Member
    edited December 2014
    StevieY wrote: »
    ....punting would have been the WTF move.

........+1
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    durito wrote: »
    Their answer is punt, always. 3rd and goal, punt.

Over there the answer would depend on what color the qb was
  • KashmirKashmir Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    If you guys don't mind, i'm going to wait until we hear from golfer to pass judgement.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    This decision ain't close to a toss-up.
    By adding 3 points in that situation amounts to reward(3pts) doesn' t come close to the risk/s.
    a. Blocked 'chipshot' 53 yd FG. What could that lead to? The kicking game already missed a P.A.T.
    b Missed FG= 1st Down ATL on 43yd line down 10 with 4+ minutes remaining. 3TOs and 2mw.
    c .Ryan scoring @will versus tired/ole d/line and secondary

Summing it up, Coach McCarthy relying on his 'gassed' defense instead of his MVP QB. Make sense?
  • procapprocap Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    I agree with Ron. I would have gone for it. In a game that high scoring the difference between being up 13 as opposed to 10 isn't worth the risk of giving the opposing team good field position if the field goal is missed. Atlanta would have been a few decent sized completions away from being in field goal range themselves. Crosby certainly has a great leg, but as mentioned, the conditions, although not terrible, weren't perfect. I'll take Rodgers and his weapons against a weak defense on 4th and short every time under the given circumstances.