Betting Talk

You know you're old when

pettifoggerpettifogger Senior Member
edited December 2014 in Sports Betting
You remember faking sick to stay home from school to watch the 7th game of the World Series. :bye:

Comments

• Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    or going to school with your little transistor radio or if it was the 7th game the school put it on the loud speakers . Now that's old...
  • pettifoggerpettifogger Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    After Maz hit it over Yogi's head I really was sick.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    or going to school with your little transistor radio or if it was the 7th game the school put it on the loud speakers . Now that's old...

LOL. What school put it over the loudspeakers? The principal musta been betting.:shrr:
    I can relate to the transistor though. Ear plug cord up your arm with long sleeve shirt and resting your palm on your ear.
    edited December 2014
    After Maz hit it over Yogi's head I really was sick.

I got that picture hanging in my office. Maz swing...ball in flight....Yogi with hands on knees. Autographed by Yogi, Maz, Gil MacDougal and catcher Johnny Blanchard.
    edited December 2014
    Ronbets wrote: »
    I got that picture hanging in my office. Maz swing...ball in flight....Yogi with hands on knees. Autographed by Yogi, Maz, Gil MacDougal and catcher Johnny Blanchard.

That's a nice picture. Gil Macdougal I watched the game when he took one in the throat. Clete,Gil, Bobby and the Moose. I have Bobby Richardson's Rookie card and it's getting graded along with some other oldies but goodies as we speak.
    edited December 2014
    Nice collection. $$
    Oops, it was Tony Kubek that took the bad hop in the throat.
    edited December 2014
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Nice collection. $$
    Oops, it was Tony Kubek that took the bad hop in the throat.

Yes your right Macdougal was before Kubek Right? Sad getting old.
    edited December 2014
    Yeah a little before. Easily mistaken for each other 'cause they played a lot alike. Why did they fire Mel Allen? Ppl spread some rumors about his firing. Dunno if true or not.

Btw, did u ever drink that shit beer they use to advertise? Ballantine. U talk about transmission fluid.....whew
    edited December 2014
    I still know the Jiggle , Heyyy get your cold beer, heyyy get your Ballantine Heyy get your cold cold beer get your Ice Cold Ballantine beer. I'm not sure about Mel I mean he was the voice and a great voice and a great announcer. He replaced the great Red Barber and thencame Phil who was gone after the 6/7 innings. I don't thing he ever finished a game.

Edit: At least Harry finished them bombed but finished.
    edited December 2014
    50 cent bleacher seats just to get in give the guy $2 and he would take you all the way down take out his big wool glove and clean your seat for $2 bucks.
    If the people came he moved you and cleaned another seat No Charge! I would love to be 20 years old again but not in these times.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    You east coast guys had it made. I grew up out west when there were no teams west of St Louis. You just had to pick somebody to root for. I rooted for the White Sox since my Grandad took me to one of their doubleheaders once (young guys don't know what we are talking about-- 2 games back to back. Not one that starts at 8 AM and the other at 5 PM) Anyway, was living in Japan when they made the Series (and had to play in that cow pasture in LA) and remember getting up in middle of the night to listen on short wave radio. Was that the first year the Dodgers were in LA? Don't remember when they went West.
    edited December 2014
    You east coast guys had it made. I grew up out west when there were no teams west of St Louis. You just had to pick somebody to root for. I rooted for the White Sox since my Grandad took me to one of their doubleheaders once (young guys don't know what we are talking about-- 2 games back to back. Not one that starts at 8 AM and the other at 5 PM) Anyway, was living in Japan when they made the Series (and had to play in that cow pasture in LA) and remember getting up in middle of the night to listen on short wave radio. Was that the first year the Dodgers were in LA? Don't remember when they went West.

1959 WS if I remember correctly from that series the Dodgers lost the first game something like 11-0 or 11-1 and the Daily News the next day the headlines read "Still Da Bums" The Dodgers went on to win that series 4 games to 1 or 4 games to 2 mind you I'm doing this without Google so if my facts are a little off please understand. The White sox had one of the greatest Shortstops to ever play the game. The big hitter in the line escapes me gee I could see his face but can't remember his name right now. Baseball will be back before you know it and while your at it you can shit can this sport they call the NFL
    edited December 2014
    2nd baseman wasn't bad either. Was the hitter Minnie Minoso? I can't remember-- I forget everything when I sleep, and I've been to sleep a couple of times since then. And 1959 sounds right.
    edited December 2014
    Or Ted Kluszusky?
    edited December 2014
    Or Ted Kluszusky?

I'm thinking somebody else then. Sad getting old. Sometimes I 'm talking and I completely got off the topic and don't realize it until I see the other person's face trying to keep up lol .
    edited December 2014
    Still have a half-functioning brain--

Chicago White Sox (1959–1960)

On August 25, 1959, his trade for two players gave Al Lopez's first place White Sox team the much needed additional home run power to help win the American League Pennant. The White Sox faced the Los Angeles Dodgers in the World Series. In the first game at Chicago's Comiskey Park, Kluszewski, who had grown up in the Chicago area, hit two home runs and drove in five in an 11–0 rout of the Dodgers. However, the Dodgers would win the next four out of five games to win the series with pitching that neutralized the White Sox, except for Kluszewski, who hit .391 with three home runs and 10 runs batted in.

Automobile mogul Jim Moran offered a free car to any White Sox player who hit a home run in that World Series. As he recalled in an Oct. 21, 2005 interview with Mike Downey of the Chicago Tribune, Moran ended up giving Kluszewski three original 1960 Ford Falcons.
    edited December 2014
    1959 was Bums' 2nd year in LA. Reliever Larry Sherry was WS MVP. Remember the photo of the fan's beer falling in Minoso's face ?
    edited December 2014
    1960 Series. Mantle saves the 9th inning rally by dodging around the tag at 1st base. Yanks outscore Pirates by about 30 runs and lose the series. F**kin' Ralph Terry.
    edited December 2014
    Remember the days(not centuries ago either) when the hometeam announcer would share the booth with the regulars during the WS? We'd get a break from McCarver or the other fixture. Oh, and day games when salaries were so low that the fringe players might need a second job.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    1959 WS if I remember correctly from that series the Dodgers lost the first game something like 11-0 or 11-1 and the Daily News the next day the headlines read "Still Da Bums" The Dodgers went on to win that series 4 games to 1 or 4 games to 2 mind you I'm doing this without Google so if my facts are a little off please understand. The White sox had one of the greatest Shortstops to ever play the game. The big hitter in the line escapes me gee I could see his face but can't remember his name right now. Baseball will be back before you know it and while your at it you can shit can this sport they call the NFL

Those were the go-go Sox weren't they? Don't remember them having an actual big middle of the lineup guy although they did have some decent hitters. Shortstop was Aparicio OT, second baseman was Nellie Fox. One of the few double play combinations where both guys made the Hall of Fame.
    edited December 2014
    I was thinking of Dick Allen but he played for the White Sox's in the early 70's and started with the Phillies in 63. I was way off. Nellie Fox big ball of Chew in his mouth and choked up on the bat but they were something up the middle.
    edited December 2014
    Nellie, Luis, Klu, Sherm Lollar, Jim Landis, Minnie, Jungle Jim Rivera, Earl Torgeson, Bob Shaw, Early Wynn all managed by Al Lopez. Good pitching, great defense, and tons of singles. Only AL team of the '50's to win without the longball.
  • namathfannamathfan Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Anyone remember the SI cover with Dick Allen on it? Juggling some baseballs while smoking a cigarette.
    edited December 2014
    When Allen was a rookie he went by Richie.
  • namathfannamathfan Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    He absolutely did.
    edited December 2014
    namathfan wrote: »
    Anyone remember the SI cover with Dick Allen on it? Juggling some baseballs while smoking a cigarette.

Yes #12, I sure do. I also recall in that era ex-ABA'er turned NBA'er George McGinnis hadda pack-a-day habit during playing days.

Yes Petti, Dick(Don't call me Richie) Allen started with Phils and later joined his psycho buddy Jimmy Piersall in Chi. Either JP was an announcer or just retired.
    edited December 2014
    Wow Jimmy Piersall climbing the center field fall. Crazy but sad story.
    edited December 2014
    Sure was OT. I think he(JP) partnered up with Harry Caray for a year or 2 broadcasting the ChiSox. That was right after the Cardinals canned him(HC).