Betting Talk

pelini gone...

newcombenewcombe Senior Member
edited December 2014 in Sports Betting
pretty surprised to see the timing of this.. who in the F will replace him is the thing.

Comments

• newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    would the vested man Tressel hop on board?
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    Mack Brown?
  • paid03paid03 Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    Hopefully Tim Miles just starts pulling a double shift.
    edited November 2014
    well said paid. well said. lol.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    As a Badger fan, I'm sad to see Pellini gone.
  • StackAttackStackAttack Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Matt Rhule is available
    edited December 2014
    Huskers are going to get the checkbook out so it's just a matter of seeing what the best option will be. Hopefully more than just 1 or 2 to choose from.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Here's my take, admittedly I'm not a Nebraska fan and I don't follow the program closely. Pelini has been there seven years, and in that time he's gone 66-27 which is a very good record, winning at least nine games a year. The problem is, he hasn't gotten them to a BCS bowl during his tenure. So the question for Nebraska fans is, are you satisfied with having a good program that goes to a decent bowl every year, or do you want/expect more? There are a lot of schools that would gladly take Nebraska's success, however given the history and tradition of Husker football, I think their fans expect more, and not playing in a major bowl for seven years is unacceptable. Pelini did a very credible job, but it wasn't good enough. They're looking for a coach who can take them to the next level, get them to a BCS bowl on a consistent basis and even challenge for a playoff spot. We won't know if firing Pelini was the right decision until the next couple of years play out, but the bottom line is, in Nebraska, being a good program just isn't good enough, they're striving for greatness and I commend the administration for that, after seven years it became obvious Pelini wasn't the guy to get them where they ultimately want to be. It will be interesting to see who gets the job.
  • paid03paid03 Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    I want Jim McElwain
  • srn828srn828 Member
    edited December 2014
    My local's hung up Tressel at +150, Frost +200, McElwain +300, Richt +400, Moglia +500, Bohl +600, Patterson +700, Kill, Fuente, and Calhoun all at +800...any +ev here, newcombe?
    edited December 2014
    kane wrote: »
    Here's my take, admittedly I'm not a Nebraska fan and I don't follow the program closely. Pelini has been there seven years, and in that time he's gone 66-27 which is a very good record, winning at least nine games a year. The problem is, he hasn't gotten them to a BCS bowl during his tenure. So the question for Nebraska fans is, are you satisfied with having a good program that goes to a decent bowl every year, or do you want/expect more? There are a lot of schools that would gladly take Nebraska's success, however given the history and tradition of Husker football, I think their fans expect more, and not playing in a major bowl for seven years is unacceptable. Pelini did a very credible job, but it wasn't good enough. They're looking for a coach who can take them to the next level, get them to a BCS bowl on a consistent basis and even challenge for a playoff spot. We won't know if firing Pelini was the right decision until the next couple of years play out, but the bottom line is, in Nebraska, being a good program just isn't good enough, they're striving for greatness and I commend the administration for that, after seven years it became obvious Pelini wasn't the guy to get them where they ultimately want to be. It will be interesting to see who gets the job.

I swear I heard this same rhetoric on a sportstalk radio station yesterday. Kane did you call in and voice this or r u a talk show host?
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Ronbets wrote: »
    I swear I heard this same rhetoric on a sportstalk radio station yesterday. Kane did you call in and voice this or r u a talk show host?

Sports talk radio host would be my dream job
  • nuttinbutfunnuttinbutfun Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Prolly looking for ole Houston Nutt they offered once lol
    edited December 2014
    I'm not hearing much of anything at this point. Checking with any and all of former player contacts and sources that are connected to program but again I haven't heard anything worth some merit. On the edge of my seat a bit and I can't see them firing bo like they did and then going asfter frost. They are going to write a monster check to someone with proven ability.
  • namathfannamathfan Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    I think Frost has a great shot with him getting some great experience out in Oregon these past few years.
    edited December 2014
    Frost would be a fan fav for sure too amongst a lot of the husker nation BUT my whole thing is firing Bo when they did was a strong statement in which I am still hoping they did so with someone already damn near lined up for the job which of course we aren't hearing about yet. Only time will tell but the huskers need a recruiter for sure. Can't win championships without quality kids coming on board. I don't expect top 10 classes nor expect to win natl championships solely bc of top 10 recruiting classes but top 20 atleast is necessary to truly compete.
    edited December 2014
    Need to get back to recruiting in our own home too. We let quality kids slip away all of the time who arent 4 star guys but are talented and will prove it for their home team.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Mike Riley, didn't see that coming, seems like a decent hire I guess
    edited December 2014
    no one saw this coming. we'll see i guess. the guy has proven he can win at times in a tough place with Oregon right down the street. who knows and honestly they weren't going to get a HUGE name hire anyhow so it is what it is. Of course the general public fan base is going to say "we just fired a winning coach for a 5-7 coach"???? like i said, who knows and hopefully they have some quality coordinators around b/c if this doesn't turn out well after what Eichorst (AD) came out saying that we are an 'elite' program which requires 'elite' results then his head will be on platter real quic.
    edited December 2014
    can he recruit? i certainly hope so... Lincoln is a far cry from an amazing place to be BUT its certainly more attractive then Corvallis
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    newcombe wrote: »
    Lincoln is a far cry from an amazing place to be BUT its certainly more attractive then Corvallis

Newc, no offense but I think I'd rather be in Corvallis, maybe I'm a bit ignorant to Lincoln but being about an hour in change from Portland and some really nice beaches sure seems a bit more attractive than corn silo's for as far as the eye can see ;)

Where is Corvallis and INTO OSU located?

Corvallis is just 90 minutes (135 km) away by car from Portland, Oregon's largest city and cultural center.
    Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles and other US West Coast destinations are easily accessible by plane, train or car.
    Portland International Airport offers nonstop service to cities across the US, including major international gateways such as Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Denver, Chicago and Washington D.C., plus nonstop service to Tokyo and Amsterdam.
    Read more information about traveling to Corvallis and INTO OSU »

Corvallis, Oregon: a true American university town

Corvallis is a vibrant college community that has been nationally recognized for the talent and creativity of its people. You'll feel that as you work with professors and fellow students in and out of the classroom.

Corvallis consistently earns high rankings in Sperling's Best Places' Most Secure Places to Live.
    Ranked Top 5 Smartest Cities in America by Forbes.
    Ranked #1 Green Power Community by the US Environmental Protection Agency in 2009.
    Named #5 Best College Towns by Business Insider
    edited December 2014
    i appreciate the geo lesson :). what i meant was the fact that corvallis is next door to Eugene so any quality players interested in that area are shooting to make there way to Eugene and more importantly the facilities/culture/etc. in the corn silo town of Lincoln should be a much easier place to recruit - FOR FOOTBALL PURPOSES AND NOT TRIPS TO THE BEACH :).
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Eichorst worked for Barry Alvarez at Wis. Barry was always a big Mike Riley fan and was rumored to have considered Riley for the Badger job when Bielema left for Ark.
    edited December 2014
    Bielema gave Nebraska the big NO as they went to him 1st. i don't blame him. he has a great thing going down their in Ark.
    edited December 2014
    Orgeron would be a nice addition so the huskers need to lock that up if possible. maybe frost as well. this could turn out to be something special (hope it all works out the way we want it to).
    edited December 2014
    Just heard interview on CBS feed with Riley. When pressed on offensive style to be stressed he was noncomittal. He issued the proper wait and see answer by saying he would first evaluate the athletes. They first referenced Calahan and the w/coast offense. Basically said he would go with a qbs strength.
    edited December 2014
    yeah i was listening to SVP on espn news over lunch earlier today and heard an interview. i liked that he said he will have to be adaptive to what he has to work with and not just say that he will come in and instill his plan and his plan only. versatile he'll need to be.
    edited December 2014
    He did say what made sense was that 7-4 for the Beavers was acceptable and 9-2 for the Huskers wasn't. Tradition, etc. OSU went 28 consecutive years with a losing record. Starting somewhere in the 70s.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited December 2014
    Riley has always run a pro style offense and I have to think once he gets his own recruits in there, that's the offense he'll run in Nebraska, right now he has to play the hand he was dealt
    edited December 2014
    home sweet home for Bo... he made off with some good coin and should enjoy his trip back home to coach in all honesty.