Betting Talk

TommyL's College Hoops Discussion

TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
edited March 2015 in Sports Betting
Here is the link to my picks this season if you're interested -> http://www.bettingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php/177728-TommyL-s-2014-2015-NCAA-Basketball-Picks

I'll use this thread to discuss games, my picks, the Nittany Lions resurgent basketball program, the Big 5, the Big 10, the bubble, Binghamton and the America East Conference, and anything else that we want to talk about. Feel free to ask questions, jump in with comments, etc.

Comments

• GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Best of luck this season and go Quakers!
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    Good Luck this year Tommy. Watch out for the Iowa State Cyclones, we're Indianapolis bound!
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Goats wrote: »
    Best of luck this season and go Quakers!

Thanks. It'll be another rough season for them, but regardless of the team on the court, they'll still have the best home venue in basketball.
    edited November 2014
    cpech56 wrote: »
    Good Luck this year Tommy. Watch out for the Iowa State Cyclones, we're Indianapolis bound!

If they could pull it off this season, they might have to start calling Hoiberg "The Governor".
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    I was thinking of piggy backing you on the boise play....s.d even though money as a home dog last year my ratings have boise as a 6 pt favorite today... does mark not in lineup matter ?
  • crashcrash Member
    edited November 2014
    Jets or Tommy, Do you have info on Marks? I read an article that Marks will be out for either the Friday or Saturday game while Trent will be out for the other one (stagger the suspensions). Since Trent is a minor player and Marks is their star, I'd love to know for sure which is which.
    edited November 2014
    all I know is marks was sup...I seen something about being back on nov 22nd....am not playing the game to early ...am sure tommy knows he bet it
    edited November 2014
    crash wrote: »
    Jets or Tommy, Do you have info on Marks? I read an article that Marks will be out for either the Friday or Saturday game while Trent will be out for the other one (stagger the suspensions). Since Trent is a minor player and Marks is their star, I'd love to know for sure which is which.

That's exactly what I found after extensive digging yesterday. Seems to be a coinflip as to which one misses tonight.
    edited November 2014
    Big props to Tom Izzo and MSU for making the trip to Annapolis tonight. Luckily for Izzo, Ed DeChellis doesn't have Talor Battle available to rain 26-foot jumpers on him.
    edited November 2014
    I might need the puke icon for that IUPUI debacle.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    :thumbup2:
  • golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    If you had to give a percentage of your handicapping styles, what pct do you think is from watching games, and what pct is from modeling/systems? Thank you
    edited November 2014
    golfer1000 wrote: »
    If you had to give a percentage of your handicapping styles, what pct do you think is from watching games, and what pct is from modeling/systems? Thank you

Probably about 5% (if that) comes from watching games, and most of that 5% would really be from listening more than watching (ie picking up any info that I might not have known about a team). Mostly, I'm making plays from modeling/power ratings and reading/researching.
    edited November 2014
    temple ..you know i was thinking about this but am going to take tech or nothing...29 win team with most everyone back.
    not sure what you make of that temple vs american game...slow pace and they sitll couldnt shoot the ball , no way they are are going to trade pts with tech, dont hold me to this but i think all all those starters are sr as well , and they did well as a rd favorite last year.

good luck great start
  • originalokieoriginalokie Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for your plays
    Been selective
    Between some of yours and mine Sunday, had a rare 15-4 day
    Thanks
    edited November 2014
    jets96 wrote: »
    temple ..you know i was thinking about this but am going to take tech or nothing...29 win team with most everyone back.
    not sure what you make of that temple vs american game...slow pace and they sitll couldnt shoot the ball , no way they are are going to trade pts with tech, dont hold me to this but i think all all those starters are sr as well , and they did well as a rd favorite last year.

good luck great start

Even though that Temple-American game looks bad in hindsight for Temple, they pretty much led it wire to wire and gave up a late run to let American make it close. American plays at a crawl, and Temple really clamped down on them (only allowed 11 first half points) and killed them on the boards. It'll be an interesting matchup tonight with the contrast of styles. Seems like the type of game that's right up Dunphy's alley. I actually might be heading over to it depending on how the day goes today (I'm off tomorrow for the hoops marathon, so have a bunch that I need to get done today and probably won't be able to swing it).
    edited November 2014
    Forgot to mention, and this is a good time since we were talking about American...Not a bad start for the Patriot League. Holy Cross knocking off Harvard, Navy taking Michigan St to the wire (and also hanging with Notre Dame for a half), Lehigh gave Villanova all they could handle, and Army winning their little tournament. They're not going to be a threat to get an at-large bid or anything, but it looks like several teams in that league are improving.
    edited November 2014
    Tomorrow morning is one of my favorite angles that I love playing every year. The under in the really early east coast game of the college hoops tipoff. They've done some rearranging this season so it's actually a 7am tip instead of the 6am that we've seen in many years past, but I still think that everything applies (plus I don't think the line, or at least the opener at 5Dimes is adjusted for the different starting time since it's pretty much where I'd have the game under "normal" circumstances).

http://www.bettingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php/170817-College-Hoops-Question-Thought
    edited November 2014
    didnt check out boxscore for that temple game to just now , did you go ? temple went to the line 49 times scored 22 more pt at the line them tech...
    temple plays duke on friday .
    edited November 2014
    jets96 wrote: »
    didnt check out boxscore for that temple game to just now , did you go ? temple went to the line 49 times scored 22 more pt at the line them tech...
    temple plays duke on friday .

I bailed, just didn't have the time last night. I usually make it to a couple of Temple games a year, but wanted to go last night since La Tech is a team that I would have liked to see.
    edited November 2014
    Curious about your thoughts on Nichols state tomorrow? And is ucla better or worse than last year? Thanks
    edited November 2014
    golfer1000 wrote: »
    Curious about your thoughts on Nichols state tomorrow? And is ucla better or worse than last year? Thanks

UCLA should turn out to be pretty good if everyone develops, but they're only playing 2 upper-classmen in their 9 man rotation. We'll find out pretty soon how good they are, as they've got a really solid non-conference schedule (Kentucky, Gonzaga, Oklahoma, and at Alabama).
  • buck4493buck4493 Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    Tommy keep your eye on Indiana, play SMU tonight. IU was looked at as a potential disaster here locally. Watched first games, while inferior opponents i couldnt believe the talent they had on the floor. Excellent PG and a stud freshman with shooters everywhere. Catching 3 at home seems like a damn good play

any thought on the Hoosiers
    edited November 2014
    buck4493 wrote: »
    Tommy keep your eye on Indiana, play SMU tonight. IU was looked at as a potential disaster here locally. Watched first games, while inferior opponents i couldnt believe the talent they had on the floor. Excellent PG and a stud freshman with shooters everywhere. Catching 3 at home seems like a damn good play

The verdict is still out for me on both SMU and Indiana. I thought that SMU was a little disappointing in their game at Gonzaga, but after watching Gonzaga again last night, they might really be for real and it wasn't that bad of an effort. I'm really not sure where to fall on Indiana. Watched a bit of the Miss Valley St game and they just ran them out of the gym, so will be interesting to see how they look tonight with the level of competition taken up a few notches. FWIW, I had tonight's game lined at Indiana -1.
  • buck4493buck4493 Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    Thanks pal,
    edited November 2014
    buck4493 wrote: »

Good call
  • StJoes0610StJoes0610 Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    really like USC as well. sorry my hawks let you down a few nights ago, that was ugly.
    edited November 2014
    StJoes0610 wrote: »
    really like USC as well. sorry my hawks let you down a few nights ago, that was ugly.

Not a good 1st half for USC, but I'd hope that they can wear down this Drexel team as the game goes along.

That St Joe's game was brutal. I assume that you watched it. If so, my favorite part was Jon Crispin commenting at one point that you have to give Phil Martelli credit that his kids aren't quitting and are still playing hard. I looked down at the score and it was 51-10. What the hell would it have looked like if they weren't "playing hard". I think Jon was looking for any compliment that he could find at that point.
    edited November 2014
    StJoes0610 wrote: »

I leaned that way too. Team is so bad though, I'm done with them
  • StJoes0610StJoes0610 Senior Member
    edited November 2014
    yea, that zone to start didnt work as planned. drexel shooting will come back to earth, i liked the way we played second half of 1H. i took them -3 2H too, well see if i live to regret that one.

haha i actually watched most of it and heard that, was up anyway and morbidly curious how bad it would get. youre 100% right, i guess in games like that its miserable for the announcers too. i have my issues with martelli but i wont bore you with them here. good luck to us in the second half, i still think we have a shot and dont care if someone throws this back in my face.

forgot to add, losing martin sucks