Betting Talk

Legal Help

cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
edited October 2014 in Sports Betting
Hey Guys, I am in need of some help with a few questions I have regarding some legal issues. No, I'm not in any sort of trouble I just want to get your guys advice on whether or not I should take the next step or just let things go with the understanding I was lied to.

A year ago February I was working as a Tower Climber full time and a FedEx delivery driver part time. One of my goals from the time I started to turn my life around a few years ago was to become a high school football coach. I was determined to do whatever it took to accomplish that goal. One of my stops was at a warehouse for a school here and the gentleman that signed off for the packages and I got to talking and I explained to him that was one of my goals. Him and his father have 45+ years coaching wrestling and football at my school.

Roughly 2 weeks went by and the same guy pulled me into his office to explain to me that a 31 year old head of maint/cust at an elementary school here had been tragically killed in a car accident and he suggest I apply for the position. I loved the idea, finally a job that would allow me to be off everyday by 4pm for football practice. No more towers to climb or dogs chasing my white ass.

I applied and eventually landed the job. Shortly after landing the position I let the football coach know that I was interested in coaching. He explained that before I would be able to do that I would need to earn my Coaching Authorization Certificate. I spent the $600 needed and spent the 40 hours of classwork time to earn my certificate. The school I coach at is stacked with coaches. Former college and NFL players from back in the 70's and 80's, a special teams coach that has ties to many different current college programs as well as a national kicking camp.

Needless to say, it was going to be tough for them to get me a paid position my first year. The head coach explained to me that I would need to volunteer my time this year and that we would see how things worked out for next year. He felt bad that I wouldn't be a contracted or paid coach and explained that they would funnel money to me in other ways. Legal ways I must add. I was paid to work football camp in the beginning of the season for 2 weeks. I made $250 or roughly $25 a day for 10 days worth of camp. I would be paid $50 a varsity game to help out in the press box with filming and lastly I would be paid an hourly amount to supervise the weightroom over the winter and spring at the completion of football.

I was 100% fine with all of that. I needed to learn a lot and the staff was willing to teach me. They named me head defensive line coach of the Freshman team and asked that I worked the games with varsity as well. I volunteered roughly 30 hours a week coaching freshman football. We had a tremendous year finishing 9-0 and outscored our opponents 384-113. I had two defensive lineman of mine that were immediately asked to play varsity at the completion of our season last week.

Also, last week I got an email from the head coach saying I was not able to supervise the weightroom any longer this winter and spring. He explained that the athletic director had reached out to him and told him because I am an hourly employee with the district I am not eligible to be paid to work in there. He explained that they would have to pay me time and a half because of my current role with the district. I immediately felt like I had been been kicked in the dick by JJ Watt. All that time I put in only to have it taken away from me when I was finally able to start earning some money. As any of you know that have families and coach, it's not easy on your significant other. I was told by a very wise coach that behind every good man is an even better woman and that no matter what you're always loyal to your family first. How was this being loyal to my family when I had promised all this time spent would pay off financially by earning a role in the weight room and then a contracted coaching position next year.

I wasn't going to just accept his email so I asked him who I could talk to get a better understanding of why that was the case. He said I needed to contact the athletic director and that she could help me out. I reach out to her and get no calls or emails back for nearly 2 weeks. Finally she gets back to me and says pretty much the same thing the head coach said and that I would need to talk to head of HR for further explanation because she refused to risk saying something that may not be true. I reached out to the head of HR and 10 days go by, no word from her. By this time I am pretty darn upset. I reach out to a teacher at my school who's husband also coaches. She's irate after I explain the situation to her. I really am not one to brag but having come into our school at a rough time last year really earned me some stripes with the staff and students at my elementary. She vowed to have my back and do what she could to get to the bottom of it.

Finally yesterday a lady from HR called. She explained what I had heard so many times already. You're an hourly employee and you work 40 hours a week at your current position with the district, we cannot have you working in the weightroom or we'd have to pay you time and a half. There's not enough money in the budget for that, so on and so forth. On top of all that I asked her if that mean't that I would ever be able to get a paid coaching position with the district. She said no I would not because of the same circumstances. Now i really felt like I got kicked in the dick. All the time and effort I put in hoping that someday I would earn a paid coaching spot for nothing. She said if I ever wanted to coach for the district in a paid role that I would have to go find another job or go coach at a different school altogether in order to keep my full time job.

There are so many reasons this pisses me off I can't begin to type them all out. My question to you guys is, Do I just take it like a champ and understand that it's probably true and there's some law that they're going by because she repeatedly said something about a labor law and even mentioned the ACA. Or do I further investigate things by hiring a lawyer? It may not seem like a big deal to some of you guys but I put my heart on the line for these kids and school every day. And to feel discriminated against because I am an hourly employee of the district, I feel miserable.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and I apologize for such a long post.

Comments

• 2sportguy2sportguy Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    cpech56 wrote: »
    Hey Guys, I am in need of some help with a few questions I have regarding some legal issues. No, I'm not in any sort of trouble I just want to get your guys advice on whether or not I should take the next step or just let things go with the understanding I was lied to.

A year ago February I was working as a Tower Climber full time and a FedEx delivery driver part time. One of my goals from the time I started to turn my life around a few years ago was to become a high school football coach. I was determined to do whatever it took to accomplish that goal. One of my stops was at a warehouse for a school here and the gentleman that signed off for the packages and I got to talking and I explained to him that was one of my goals. Him and his father have 45+ years coaching wrestling and football at my school.

Roughly 2 weeks went by and the same guy pulled me into his office to explain to me that a 31 year old head of maint/cust at an elementary school here had been tragically killed in a car accident and he suggest I apply for the position. I loved the idea, finally a job that would allow me to be off everyday by 4pm for football practice. No more towers to climb or dogs chasing my white ass.

I applied and eventually landed the job. Shortly after landing the position I let the football coach know that I was interested in coaching. He explained that before I would be able to do that I would need to earn my Coaching Authorization Certificate. I spent the $600 needed and spent the 40 hours of classwork time to earn my certificate. The school I coach at is stacked with coaches. Former college and NFL players from back in the 70's and 80's, a special teams coach that has ties to many different current college programs as well as a national kicking camp.

Needless to say, it was going to be tough for them to get me a paid position my first year. The head coach explained to me that I would need to volunteer my time this year and that we would see how things worked out for next year. He felt bad that I wouldn't be a contracted or paid coach and explained that they would funnel money to me in other ways. Legal ways I must add. I was paid to work football camp in the beginning of the season for 2 weeks. I made $250 or roughly $25 a day for 10 days worth of camp. I would be paid $50 a varsity game to help out in the press box with filming and lastly I would be paid an hourly amount to supervise the weightroom over the winter and spring at the completion of football.

I was 100% fine with all of that. I needed to learn a lot and the staff was willing to teach me. They named me head defensive line coach of the Freshman team and asked that I worked the games with varsity as well. I volunteered roughly 30 hours a week coaching freshman football. We had a tremendous year finishing 9-0 and outscored our opponents 384-113. I had two defensive lineman of mine that were immediately asked to play varsity at the completion of our season last week.

Also, last week I got an email from the head coach saying I was not able to supervise the weightroom any longer this winter and spring. He explained that the athletic director had reached out to him and told him because I am an hourly employee with the district I am not eligible to be paid to work in there. He explained that they would have to pay me time and a half because of my current role with the district. I immediately felt like I had been been kicked in the dick by JJ Watt. All that time I put in only to have it taken away from me when I was finally able to start earning some money. As any of you know that have families and coach, it's not easy on your significant other. I was told by a very wise coach that behind every good man is an even better woman and that no matter what you're always loyal to your family first. How was this being loyal to my family when I had promised all this time spent would pay off financially by earning a role in the weight room and then a contracted coaching position next year.

I wasn't going to just accept his email so I asked him who I could talk to get a better understanding of why that was the case. He said I needed to contact the athletic director and that she could help me out. I reach out to her and get no calls or emails back for nearly 2 weeks. Finally she gets back to me and says pretty much the same thing the head coach said and that I would need to talk to head of HR for further explanation because she refused to risk saying something that may not be true. I reached out to the head of HR and 10 days go by, no word from her. By this time I am pretty darn upset. I reach out to a teacher at my school who's husband also coaches. She's irate after I explain the situation to her. I really am not one to brag but having come into our school at a rough time last year really earned me some stripes with the staff and students at my elementary. She vowed to have my back and do what she could to get to the bottom of it.

Finally yesterday a lady from HR called. She explained what I had heard so many times already. You're an hourly employee and you work 40 hours a week at your current position with the district, we cannot have you working in the weightroom or we'd have to pay you time and a half. There's not enough money in the budget for that, so on and so forth. On top of all that I asked her if that mean't that I would ever be able to get a paid coaching position with the district. She said no I would not because of the same circumstances. Now i really felt like I got kicked in the dick. All the time and effort I put in hoping that someday I would earn a paid coaching spot for nothing. She said if I ever wanted to coach for the district in a paid role that I would have to go find another job or go coach at a different school altogether in order to keep my full time job.

There are so many reasons this pisses me off I can't begin to type them all out. My question to you guys is, Do I just take it like a champ and understand that it's probably true and there's some law that they're going by because she repeatedly said something about a labor law and even mentioned the ACA. Or do I further investigate things by hiring a lawyer? It may not seem like a big deal to some of you guys but I put my heart on the line for these kids and school every day. And to feel discriminated against because I am an hourly employee of the district, I feel miserable.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated and I apologize for such a long post.

What could possibly be the best outcome if you hire a lawyer ?

Even if you " win " it wont look good on your resume going forward.

Seems like they just dont have enough money in the budget to pay you time and a half..............could be true, could not. In any case you will never know.

I understand your frustration but hang in there , take it like a champ and actively look a similar position elsewhere.

Good luck.
  • white broncowhite bronco Member
    edited October 2014
    You went into this coaching gig knowing full well it was a long shot, that there would be adversity, that it would be a process for you to get to where you want to go. Now, because of lack of budget or otherwise, the school isn't able to provide you with the ideal opportunity.

But they're still providing an opportunity, no?

Which is all you asked for when you started?

Based on your explanation, you haven't been discriminated against. If anything, you've been treated fairly, and have been given an opportunity and a foot in the door that you probably didn't deserve, at least not yet. If you're serious about coaching in the future, you should continue in your current role (provided you can swing it financially), build up a few more years of experience, add it to your resume, and then pursue a better job at a different school. If you prove to be super talented, and your colleagues recognize that, then they'll likely fight to keep you. If you're a horrid coach, then they won't.

But please, gain some self awareness and realize what you are and what you're not, at least in this profession. You are basically a ball boy or an equipment manager or the guy who sets up cones. You aren't - and won't - be calling plays anytime soon, and you won't be wearing a Bose headset, either. That's for the big boys. You aren't there yet. That's OK.

One more thing. You mentioned that the head coach sent you an email to inform you that you won't be able to supervise the weight room any longer. If this job is/was as important to you as you're suggesting, you'd think the coach would know that, and perhaps break the news to your face? He then told you to contact the AD because "she could help you out." You waited and waited and waited to get a reply. Was the coach unwilling to help speed up the process? Also, the AD did NOT help you out. Did you tell the coach that, and did he offer to go to bat for you in any capacity?

if he said "ah, shucks," and basically didn't care, at least you know where you stand.

Good luck.
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    I'm slowly realizing what both of you have pointed out.

Bronco, You're correct man they still provided me with an opportunity and I am very grateful for that opportunity. Having this all happen in the course of about the last 2-3 weeks I am realizing I just haven't cooled down and taken a deep breathe and realize what they did do for me. When you say gain some self awareness that's exactly what I need to do. One year doesn't make me or entitle me to anything really.

I've always struggled with being impatient and sometimes it gets the best of me. I am hot headed and quickly jump to conclusions. It's good to hear others point out these flaws in me because deep down I know these are things I need to work on.

When you asked about the coach knowing how important this job is to me and not breaking the news to my face I should tell you that his email suggest I call him so he could tell me over the phone. We're in the heart of the our playoffs right now and I did not want to be a distraction of any kind to our program right now so I let things go pretty quickly with him. He knows and the other coaches know how important this job and learning experience is to me. The coach repeatedly asked the AD why she hadn't gotten back to me and her reply was that she refused to tell me something that wasn't true and jeopardize anything.

I appreciate both of your guys views on the situation. This is exactly why I posted something like this because typically outsiders looking in with no dog in the fight have the best vantage point and offer up the best advice. Thanks guys
  • white broncowhite bronco Member
    edited October 2014
    There is nothing more frustrating than sending an email and not getting a reply, and if not a reply, at least a confirmation that the email was read and that a reply is forthcoming. That said, the AD was likely busy crushing the dreams of other lowly assistants who monitor weight rooms for teams in other sports, so perhaps she deserves a pass for the delay.
  • MikeRASMikeRAS Senior Handicapper
    edited October 2014
    This sucks.

The rules are probably in place to protect people from having to work 100 hour weeks at the same hourly rate, but in this case it is hurting you because you want to work in these additional roles.
  • rookrook Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    I had similar issues because I was working at a school and also wanted to teach part-time. The problem was there were a bunch of people in other parts of my state who had done that, and then after a bunch of years, they cashed in on free money by taking legal action and claiming their time and a half overtime pay. I don't even know if they succeeded or not, but certainly they must have caused enough headaches to make it hard for others to do that same kind of double duty. I don't think it is a law, though. If you could convince the right person that you would never turn around and demand the time-and-a-half, maybe you could keep both jobs. I don't know what would be tougher - finding the right person, or convincing them...
    edited October 2014
    MikeRAS wrote: »
    This sucks.

The rules are probably in place to protect people from having to work 100 hour weeks at the same hourly rate, but in this case it is hurting you because you want to work in these additional roles.

It does suck. I honestly give everything I have to my school and my team. More so at school because I constantly am preaching the first word of student athlete is student. The frustrating part is that the coaches that don't work for the district are suppose to clock in and out before and after practice so they can compare time worked to amount made on their coaching contracts. Very few of them actually do this and it's swept under the rug.

And Rook, I tried telling them I would happily sign off on an agreement stating exactly what you eluded to and they didnt like the idea. Also talked to my boss and asked if my pay could be changed to salary not hourly and he said unfortunately not. Just a bummer all around and now I gotta start looking for something to keep me busy at night making me some money.
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    No way to switch your job to salary? I suppose that's probably far more complicated than it needs to be.
    edited October 2014
    durito wrote: »
    No way to switch your job to salary? I suppose that's probably far more complicated than it needs to be.

For a school district, yes it's far too difficult.
  • JafarJafar Banned
    edited October 2014
    I can think of a million other things I'd rather be doing than monitoring a high school weight room. But if it's that high of a priority, go to another school district or get a different job. Then you can spot these youngsters doing the bench press till the cows come home.