Betting Talk

ESPN's Jeff Ma writes about tout industry

white broncowhite bronco Member
edited October 2014 in Sports Betting
Jeff Ma wrote about the tout industry for ESPN today. The article didn't do much for me. Was hoping for something more comprehensive.

Comments

• Obi OneObi One Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    While it won't do much for most BT-members, this is well-written for the general public. Most bettors who buy picks have no clue about most things he wrote about. It's actually very simple, if you apply the advice he gives, 99% of touts don't pass the test and should be avoided.
  • procapprocap Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Surprised to see him doing this... especially giving out picks
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    This part is especially great. What business ANYWHERE is going to give you information on how they do something or arrive at a conclusion/finished product? Should I expect the Colonel to pass me the fried chicken recipe, on a napkin, if I ever go to Kentucky Fried Chicken. GMAFB

Lesson 5: Understand the methodology

I do believe there are touts who do a lot of research and are good handicappers. But as I alluded to before, the only way to really know is if they provide an explanation for their picks. If you are paying someone for information, you should get full disclosure as to his/her methods, and touts simply saying that they have a model ignores that right. It's why it's critical to be process-driven, rather than results-driven. I would much rather back a money manager whose methods I understand and trust than one who is bragging about a couple good recent months.

I do enjoy reading the analysis of some of the more successful touts, as they often have useful information, but without a glimpse into their methods, you are robbed of that value.
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    ebemiss wrote: »
    What business ANYWHERE is going to give you information on how they do something or arrive at a conclusion/finished product? Should I expect the Colonel to pass me the fried chicken recipe, on a napkin, if I ever go to Kentucky Fried Chicken. GMAFB

Ain't this the truth.

Who on earth are these "more successful touts" he references that give out analysis?

You can buy my special sauce, but I sure as hell am not giving you the recipe.
  • white broncowhite bronco Member
    edited October 2014
    procap wrote: »
    Surprised to see him doing this... especially giving out picks

Is he technically a pick seller now?
  • blackbullblackbull Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    ebemiss wrote: »
    This part is especially great. What business ANYWHERE is going to give you information on how they do something or arrive at a conclusion/finished product? Should I expect the Colonel to pass me the fried chicken recipe, on a napkin, if I ever go to Kentucky Fried Chicken. GMAFB

Skimmed it real quick earlier today , saw that part of the article, decided not to read it.