Betting Talk

NBA ROY

kanekane Senior Member
edited October 2014 in Sports Betting
I'm looking for a ROY candidate who isn't named Wiggins or Parker, someone who offers some value. There are two guys I'm thinking about. The first is Julius Randle, playing on a bad team means I'm expecting him to get a lot of playing time, and the opportunity to put up big numbers should be there, the other is Marcus Smart, I'm real high on this kid, I think he has a chance to be very good. With Rondo being hurt to start the season, Smart should see a lot of playing time, and by the Celtics drafting him, I think Rondo's days in Boston are numbered. If they trade him during the season, Smart becomes the starting PG. I know PG is the toughest position for a rookie, but I think he has a high ceiling. I would love to hear any feedback from the NBA guys.

Comments

• cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Dougie Fresh
  • eug44eug44 Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    I was looking at the same thing...Wiggins has to be a huge favorite his team sucks, he is going to get a ton of minutes as the number one option. I liked noel but the price on him is horrible, agree with u on smart as I am fan of his as well just dont see him winning. Also think Kyle Anderson has an outside chance having a great pre season. Napier has a chance imo
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    cpech56 wrote: »
    Dougie Fresh

I was thinking about him. The positive is, even though he's a rookie, he's probably the Bulls best outside shooter, and playing on a team that's starving for offense, there's reason to think he'll be a contributor. The negative is, even though the kid can stroke it, if you don't defend, you don't play for Tibs, just ask Carlos Boozer . My concern with him is, if he has trouble learning the Bulls defensive system, he might not get many minutes.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    eug44 wrote: »
    I was looking at the same thing...Wiggins has to be a huge favorite his team sucks, he is going to get a ton of minutes as the number one option. I liked noel but the price on him is horrible, agree with u on smart as I am fan of his as well just dont see him winning. Also think Kyle Anderson has an outside chance having a great pre season. Napier has a chance imo

The problem with Anderson is, even though you say he's playing well in the pre-season, once the games start counting, I don't know how much playing time he'll get. Playing on a Spurs team that's so deep, and a team obviously looking to win a title, my concern is he'll only be in during garbage time, if he's not part of the rotation, his minutes will be limited. Napier is intriguing, with the Heat not having much of a chance this year, he might get some run, especially considering their other two PG's are Chalmers and Cole, not exactly all-stars. Napier struggled with his shot during summer league play, but he's a good prospect, and after Wade and Bosh, they don't have many scoring options, so if he can knock down some shots on any kind of consistent basis, he might be a sleeper.
  • buckeyesbuckeyes Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    KJ McDaniels is a solid pick but his team's performance could hold him back from consideration.
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Nerlens Noel
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    newcombe wrote: »
    Nerlens Noel

I think Noel's got a chance to be very good, but his odds are too short, I'm looking for more of a long shot. Thanks for the reply though.
  • jammerjammer Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Smart should get a lot of PT, but until he gets his jumper straightened out, you're looking at most likely a high 30's to low 40's field goal %
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    jammer wrote: »
    Smart should get a lot of PT, but until he gets his jumper straightened out, you're looking at most likely a high 30's to low 40's field goal %

The strength of Smart's game isn't his jumper, which I think will eventually be fine. His strength is being aggresive in the paint, he's a physical player and smaller PG's will have trouble with him, he's also going to be a good defender, I'm a Celtic fan and I loved the pick. He'll be starting before the season ends, Rondo's gone.
  • talkingpracticetalkingpractice Junior Member
    edited October 2014
    the correlation between PPG and ROY voting is intense. find the guy who will score a lot (jabari) and youve likely found the ROY. even if noel is much better than the other rookies (likely), its very hard to win ROY if you dont score a lot. this is why a guy like smart (who i love on defense already) or kyle anderson is not likely to win.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    So after some thinking I decided to make two plays. I went with Jabari Parker even with short odds since he's the guy I think will win it, but I also wanted to take a longer shot, so I also went with Julius Randle, and last night he breaks his leg, wonderful.