Betting Talk

another banning

kanekane Senior Member
edited October 2014 in Sports Betting
First Golfer, now Kahuna. First off, let me be clear, I don't know what either one of them did to deserve banishment, and nobody owes me any explanation. That said, I don't see how this place is better without them. I could care less about Kahuna and Jeff constantly going at it, all I know is this was a better place with Kahuna then it will be without him. Again, I'm sure whatever they did was egregious enough to warrant a banning, my only comment is, this place won't be as good moving forward. This place is getting worse every day imo.

Comments

• newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    I wouldn't say worse everyday, maybe quieter. I agree though with BK, I have butted heads with him many times as he is beyond annoying sometimes but he provides in turn. don't feel sorry for golfer though.
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    There are posts from 2 weeks ago on the front page of this forum in the middle of football season. Soon there won't be anyone left.
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. And apprently mama aint happy
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Kane, What exactly are you missing with them being gone? Neither one of them are posting winning plays on a consistent basis. Both create more drama than profit by a thousand percent!

I read these forums to try and find every nugget to make myself a better handicapper. I try to find users posting picks that have a plan or a clue what’s going on. Guys that refuse to post the correct line on mostly losing bets or can’t make it through the 1st seven minutes of a sporting event without going on tilt doesn’t really help me.

If you like to read these forums for drama then the above mentioned posters will be missed. I have no interest in that. It’s less clutter for me to go through. I say good riddance.

Also, all forums like this are slowly dying (at least lacking of relevant content). Twitter and other instant information mediums of communication are much better for real time information.

Usually every post in the general sports discussion forum has been on twitter long before it reaches this place.

That being said there are still people that I check their picks and explanations if they share. I frequent a number of different forums during the day to read. Most are garbage filled with drama and not many relevant opinions. At least bettingtalk tries to keep the nonsense to a minimum.

I don’t know what people want from places online like this. Take it for what it is. Maybe make a few contacts that help you find a few more winners down the road. That’s all I care about.
  • DubbsDubbs Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    kane wrote: »
    First Golfer, now Kahuna. First off, let me be clear, I don't know what either one of them did to deserve banishment, and nobody owes me any explanation. That said, I don't see how this place is better without them. I could care less about Kahuna and Jeff constantly going at it, all I know is this was a better place with Kahuna then it will be without him. Again, I'm sure whatever they did was egregious enough to warrant a banning, my only comment is, this place won't be as good moving forward. This place is getting worse every day imo.

Couldn't care less
  • originalokieoriginalokie Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    I guess you don't argue with the anointed ones
    IMHO
    BEST
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    I agree with all the above. Somebody here has to lighten up a bit. I understand IMO that BT is a marketing tool but it's become a very different place over the past year or so. The Mods IMO are partly responsible because your always being asked to police yourself and by doing that it starts an argument. The Mods should be the only ones to correct a post about games or lines and maybe the arguments will stop. How about if you think a thread is going in the wrong direction just lock it up. I'll go on record as saying I didn't like the Golfer thread thinking it was childish and stupid and if he starts another whining thread and it gets legs just lock it up. BK speaks his mind but contributes more to this forum then most. There's a lot of strong personality's on this forum so once it a while let them go at it the argument will soon die.
    Banning BK that's funny regardless of what he said here's a guy who posts every day with picks and is always open for discussions and once in a while gets into it with another poster "Big Deal" let the argument go and it will die on it's own. It doesn't happen that often that it should be a concern.
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    this was a better place with Kahuna then it will be without him

How so?
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    ebemiss wrote: »
    Kane, What exactly are you missing with them being gone? Neither one of them are posting winning plays on a consistent basis. Both create more drama than profit by a thousand percent!

I read these forums to try and find every nugget to make myself a better handicapper. I try to find users posting picks that have a plan or a clue what’s going on. Guys that refuse to post the correct line on mostly losing bets or can’t make it through the 1st seven minutes of a sporting event without going on tilt doesn’t really help me.

If you like to read these forums for drama then the above mentioned posters will be missed. I have no interest in that. It’s less clutter for me to go through. I say good riddance.

Also, all forums like this are slowly dying (at least lacking of relevant content). Twitter and other instant information mediums of communication are much better for real time information.

Usually every post in the general sports discussion forum has been on twitter long before it reaches this place.

That being said there are still people that I check their picks and explanations if they share. I frequent a number of different forums during the day to read. Most are garbage filled with drama and not many relevant opinions. At least bettingtalk tries to keep the nonsense to a minimum.

I don’t know what people want from places online like this. Take it for what it is. Maybe make a few contacts that help you find a few more winners down the road. That’s all I care about.

Ebe, I'm sure everyone has different reasons as to why they check this place out. Personally, I couldn't care less (for you Dubbs) about anyone's pick thread. There isn't anyone posting plays here that I follow. Other than RAS, I play my own games, I'm not trying to become a better Capper by looking for nuggets as you put it, not that there's anything wrong with that, It's just not why I come here, sometimes I'll click on a few of the pick threads just to check them out, but never to play anyone else's picks. Also, what you call drama, I call a discussion, or a lot of times, a disagreement, no big deal. Of course disagreements can turn into name calling, insulting each other, etc. In that case, just lock the thread and move on. Besides, there's nothing wrong with a little drama every now and then. I don't know if you belong to RTP, but the best thread I ever read over there involved Edward and Groovin going at it, talk about drama! I used to enjoy the back and forth's between Jeff and Kahuna. You make a good point about forums slowly dying due to social media, and one day these places might cease to exist, who knows. My only point is I think BT is a better place with Kahuna than without him. This place is getting boring.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Dr. H wrote: »
    How so?

I liked him and thought he was a good poster, obviously you disagree. If you were the one that got banned, I would have started this same thread as I feel like you're a good poster. If you ever did get banned, there would be some on here who would be happy, but I would defend you the same as I defended Golfer, and Kahuna. We've had many disagreements on this forum, but it never got to the point of name calling or disrespect, I always respect your opinions even when we disagree. I recently had a disagreement with Kahuna over whether or not Eric Spoelstra is a good coach, and it was a good back and forth. I'm not "friends" with Kahuna per say, just that I think he was a good contributor here. Hey, I just realized, there a bunch of us actually having a discussion about something, whaddaya know.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    TOMMYL Edit - Removed quoted personal attack

This is a perfect example, Jake just insulted Goats, now Goats can ban him for saying what he did, but imo, Jake is a good poster and this place is better with him than without, and believe me, I don't agree with everything Jake says, but so what. Think how boring this whole world would be if everyone always agreed about everything all the time. I know most here didn't care for Contra/Jala, but this place was better with him than without him imo. Also, I know whatever Kahuna did, it wasn't the first time, so I understand Goats showed patience, but banning good posters isn't the way to keep this place as good as it can be, just my 2 cents.
  • bcl4bcl4 Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Bring back Contrarian!!
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited October 2014
    TOMMYL Edit - Removed quoted personal attack

This is a perfect example, Jake just insulted Goats, now Goats can ban him for saying what he did, but imo, Jake is a good poster and this place is better with him than without, and believe me, I don't agree with everything Jake says, but so what. Think how boring this whole world would be if everyone always agreed about everything all the time. I know most here didn't care for Contra/Jala, but this place was better with him than without him imo. Also, I know whatever Kahuna did, it wasn't the first time, so I understand Goats showed patience, but banning good posters isn't the way to keep this place as good as it can be, just my 2 cents.

I was going to just keep my mouth shut and let you guys vent (and let Ed or Goats address it if they wanted to), but here are some thoughts...

Goats doesn't ban people. He doesn't own the forum, and he's simply tasked with enforcing the rules (and I think he does a pretty good job of it). If you have an issue with someone being banned, he's not the man to take it up with.

I'm much more of a fan of quality than quantity. That post between grooving and Ed was a train wreck. Many of the other forums out there are train wrecks. If we allowed posters to attack each other, allowed more racism/homophobia/sexism, etc, then we'd certainly have more posts (and more posters). I would be very much against it, and so would Ed. I guess some people are entertained by posters attacking each other or posters bitching about the outcome of games. I'm not.

Continually attacking/mocking the moderators or other posters won't be tolerated. The rules are pretty simple. I checked and over the past year, there have been 4 people banned. The site isn't exactly wielding a huge ban-hammer these days.

Carry on...
    edited October 2014
    bcl4 wrote: »
    Bring back Contrarian!!
    It all went downhill after he got the axe.
    edited October 2014
    It all went downhill after he got the axe.

The site, or him?
    edited October 2014
    TommyL wrote: »
    The site, or him?

He's doing fine :)
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited October 2014
    I began composing this before I saw Tommy's post, so pardon any redundancy, but I want to say my piece and get on with my day.

Just a few quick points as I'm the last person who enjoys engaging in this sort of thing...

1. The very first posting rule is "Show respect for all members and users of this forum, past and present. Debates of opinion are welcome but must be carried out respectfully." The 2nd posting rule is "We require a basic level of professionalism and intelligence in all posts to the forum. Users with an abundance of senseless, negative, or otherwise undesirable posts in view of the moderators will be removed from the forum without warning."

These rules were established long before I ever visited BT. Some of you may disagree with them, but they are the rules of the forum and the moderators are tasked with enforcing them. Some of you may also disagree with the way in which the moderators perform that duty, which is perfectly fine, but does not make it acceptable to violate those same rules when voicing your disagreement.

2. I am not the only moderator/administrator here. Not every deleted post is my doing.

3. I do not have the power to ban anyone without approval.

I encourage everyone to move on, but if you see fit to respond to this thread, please do so in a respectful manner.
    edited October 2014
    He's doing fine :)

I'm glad to hear it (honestly).

I wasn't sure if you were referring to the fact that he used to be a solid contributor that would inject a lot of worthwhile stuff, and now over 90% of the posts (and that's being conservative) that I see from him in forumville are attacking BG, Edward, me, okie, jets, etc.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    TommyL wrote: »
    I was going to just keep my mouth shut and let you guys vent (and let Ed or Goats address it if they wanted to), but here are some thoughts...

Goats doesn't ban people. He doesn't own the forum, and he's simply tasked with enforcing the rules (and I think he does a pretty good job of it). If you have an issue with someone being banned, he's not the man to take it up with.

I'm much more of a fan of quality than quantity. That post between grooving and Ed was a train wreck. Many of the other forums out there are train wrecks. If we allowed posters to attack each other, allowed more racism/homophobia/sexism, etc, then we'd certainly have more posts (and more posters). I would be very much against it, and so would Ed. I guess some people are entertained by posters attacking each other or posters bitching about the outcome of games. I'm not.

Continually attacking/mocking the moderators or other posters won't be tolerated. The rules are pretty simple. I checked and over the past year, there have been 4 people banned. The site isn't exactly wielding a huge ban-hammer these days.

Carry on...

Tommy, this I agree with. The problem is, posts get deleted, so no one knows what's said. Since whatever Kahuna posted was deleted, no one knows how bad it was. Absolutely, if he crossed a line by making racial or homophobic remarks, his banning is understandable. The thing is, none of us know what he said except for the mods. If he did cross a line, and gave you guys no choice, then I understand his banning. Let's see, Rip, Teddy KGB, Kahuna, Golfer, and Contra/Jala. That's five that I can think of, unless you count Contra twice, which would make six.
    edited October 2014
    Let's see, Rip, Teddy KGB, Kahuna, Golfer, and Contra/Jala. That's five that I can think of, unless you count Contra twice, which would make six.

The Teddy KGB experiment ended in the summer of 2013. And really, the actual posters were irrelevant to what I was saying, I was just trying to pass along the message that BT isn't pretty conservative when it comes to banning posters (and that's not even mentioning the fact that Jalapanose was allowed to post here when everyone knew that it was Contrarian since he was being respectful and following the rules for a while).

And to BK's defense, I don't believe that he ever made a post that was homophobic or racist. Just didn't want anyone to think that it was being insinuated that he did.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Contra/Jala is an intelligent guy that calls out B.S. when he sees it. He's not always right, but who is ? I also enjoy listening to Bob Seger's "Against The Wind".
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Adding to the Seger reference:thumbup: The real college bb coaching genius?.....Princeton's Pete Carrill's favorite song was "Night Moves". Agree.

source. Sport's Illustrated
  • RightAngleRightAngle Admin
    edited October 2014
    We may not all agree (even mods & I) exactly where to draw the line, but I think we all agree that a line needs to be drawn at some point. As has been mentioned very few posters get banned here, when they do it is usually the result of multiple offenses, and even then opportunities to return are often given.
  • JafarJafar Banned
    edited October 2014
    I guess I was just poking the bear, LOL.

At the old beyond capping, I used the hammer quite liberally. I used to love tilting Burger and his multiple handles with very quick bans whenever he said something retarded.
  • JafarJafar Banned
    edited October 2014
    The best was when the BC forum folded and Baker went underground, I still had full moderator status. Members (Loyd Winston) contacted me and offered payment if I deleted the entire forum and sent him the full email list of all the members. I deleted EVERY SINGLE THREAD EVER MADE AT THE FORUM and left up one post that said we have moved to sportsforumworld.com.

Guess what, that fuckwad never paid. And guess what else? That forum does not exist today and you never see him post anymore....
  • JafarJafar Banned
    edited October 2014
    I even have a cease and desist letter from his attorney that I took a shit with and his best buddy Krackman set me up at Planet Hollywood and wore a wire to talk about the things I did to the site. All the while, THESE MOTHERFUCKERS OWE ME MONEY. LOL, you cannot make shit this up.

A few short months later I sent that fat fuck to jail for the night. They needed two sets of handcuffs so they would reach around his back! I actually ran into him at the WPT Borgata last summer and sat down with him to talk about things. Still nothing but lies out of his mouth, he will never admit to shit. I took a picture of him though. I should post that cease and desist letter. Hilarious stuff.
  • JafarJafar Banned
    edited October 2014
    I'll get this forum back alive just yet. Here's another funny short story.

Spring/Summer of 2010 Stanford Wong put SSB up for sale, which we all know Ed bought. What he doesn't know is he should have had it for like 1500 bucks but I was emailing Wong under an alias with offers. I would add another 500 to the bid. Then Ed would add another 500 (I didn't know it was Ed on the other end but obviously I had no intention of buying the thing). It got up to 4500 and I quit. I was laughing my ass of when I saw it was Ed who bought it. Sorry Ed, you paid like 3k too much. LOL
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Jafar wrote: »

Spring/Summer of 2010 Stanford Wong put SSB up for sale, which we all know Ed bought. What he doesn't know is he should have had it for like 1500 bucks but I was emailing Wong under an alias with offers. I would add another 500 to the bid. Then Ed would add another 500 (I didn't know it was Ed on the other end but obviously I had no intention of buying the thing). It got up to 4500 and I quit. I was laughing my ass of when I saw it was Ed who bought it. Sorry Ed, you paid like 3k too much. LOL

Another example of poking the bear? Love the stories, keep 'em coming. I always wondered whatever happened to Members, SFW just disappeared one day.
  • namathfannamathfan Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Baker stories would make for interesting reading.
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited October 2014
    Jafar wrote: »

He offered it to me before putting it up for sale for $1.