Betting Talk

Fixing MLB's postseason

white broncowhite bronco Member
edited October 2014 in Sports Betting
Do you think MLB's playoff system is broken or too random? If yes, how would you fix it?

My suggestions:
  • Make every round Best of 7 (or first to win 4 if you prefer)
  • In each series, the team with the better record gets homefield, and must only win 3 games.
The Angels were the best team over a 162-game sample, and then they're out in three games. Any format that rewards regular-season performance more than the current system would be an upgrade, IMO.

Comments

• StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited October 2014
    Do you think MLB's playoff system is broken or too random? If yes, how would you fix it?

My suggestions:
    • In each series, the team with the better record gets homefield, and must only win 3 games.
    The Angels were the best team over a 162-game sample, and then they're out in three games. Any format that rewards regular-season performance more than the current system would be an upgrade, IMO.

It's baseball, just like hockey, the difference in teams are smaller than any other sport. That's why they have the best playoffs.
    I'd vote for best of 7 and dump the wildcard playoff but if they played best of 7 this round, Angels would have been out in 4, wouldn't have mattered. Nothing really needs to be changed. Just win.
  • BeardedTacoBeardedTaco Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    damn stevie I just realized DET/LAA ALCS would have been awesome for you, at least it was quick...
  • TexasHookEmTexasHookEm Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    [QUOTE=white bronco;856249
    [/QUOTE]

That's like saying they should change the NFL playoffs to a format where if the home team is winning or tied after 3 quarters, the game is over and they win. Is it safe to assume you are an angels fan?
    edited October 2014
    damn stevie I just realized DET/LAA ALCS would have been awesome for you, at least it was quick...

Only awesome if the Angels beat them, never been a Tigers fan. I never rooted against them(although I did root against them when they won the WS in 1984 :) ) but I'm surrounded by idiot Tiger fans, my mother in law being the biggest(idiot that is). I hope the next Tiger WS win is the year after she dies.

It's been good that the Angels have dominated the Tigers over the last few years so I never have to hear any shit. :)
  • white broncowhite bronco Member
    edited October 2014
    That's like saying they should change the NFL playoffs to a format where if the home team is winning or tied after 3 quarters, the game is over and they win. Is it safe to assume you are an angels fan?

Not an Angels fan. Just not a fan of being clobbered over the head with "It's a marathon, not a sprint" over the course of 162 games and a six-month season (seven if you count spring training), and then BAM, the season is over in four days.
    edited October 2014
    Not an Angels fan. Just not a fan of being clobbered over the head with "It's a marathon, not a sprint" over the course of 162 games and a six-month season (seven if you count spring training), and then BAM, the season is over in four days.

All they had to do is win a game. They were right in the first two, knew they were dead with Wilson in game 3. I'm an Angels fan but frankly they got what they deserved. When they went on their run at the end of the year, it was smoke and mirrors. They were scoring about a run a game higher than their expected numbers. Their bullpen was awesome this year. They won a lot of bullpen games. In this series, they got matched up with the best bullpen. Their pen did a great job, KC's did better. The Angels hit 4 homers in the series, all solo. The last month, it seemed like every homer they hit had guys on base. Welcome to the playoffs where you get pitched different and teams attack your holes religiously(why anyone throws Trout anything but a high fastball is beyond me).

What was hidden in their late season run and hopefully will be dealt with next spring training is their superstar regressing at a Josh Hamilton rate and he is only 23.
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    StevieY wrote: »
    Only awesome if the Angels beat them, never been a Tigers fan. I never rooted against them(although I did root against them when they won the WS in 1984 :) ) but I'm surrounded by idiot Tiger fans, my mother in law being the biggest(idiot that is). I hope the next Tiger WS win is the year after she dies.

It's been good that the Angels have dominated the Tigers over the last few years so I never have to hear any shit. :)

Hmmmm big fan of your mother in law I see