Betting Talk

30 for 30

kanekane Senior Member
edited February 2016 in Sports Betting
Tuesday night ESPN is airing a new 30 for 30 doc on the BC point shaving scandal of the late seventies. Seeing as how all of these are very well done, I'm expecting this to be just as interesting. I'm too young to remember any of it, but I know there are guys here who do.

Comments

• RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    kane wrote: »
    I'm expecting this to be just as interesting. I'm too young to remember any of it, but I know there are guys here who do.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, maybe
  • buythehookbuythehook Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    I read the book " wiseguys" and the were involved in the BC point shaving scandal. I can't wait to watch it.
    edited October 2014
    I just watched and I thought it was great!!
  • blackbullblackbull Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    I find it very interesting that they decided to do a 30 for 30 on this at this particular time. I watched it, thought it was an interesting tale, but the closing remarks by that Assistant Coach were amazingly ignorant. Coaches make tons of money off of these kids and then they try to shift the spotlight on to a few isolated incidents of point-shaving. Give me a f'n break.
  • NemaNema Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Not to mention the assistant coach, Kevin Mackey, was found in a crack house while the coach at Cleveland State.
  • retrieverretriever Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Kevin Mackey certainly had his demons. And Tom Davis would NEVER talk about any of this when he coached at Iowa and Drake. But the real takeaway for me was what an incredible scumbag Henry Hill was!
  • TexasHookEmTexasHookEm Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    retriever wrote: »
    But the real takeaway for me was what an incredible scumbag Henry Hill was!

I though the no hard feelings, two old besties sitting around and having a friendly chat part at the end was incredibly lame.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    retriever wrote: »
    Kevin Mackey certainly had his demons. And Tom Davis would NEVER talk about any of this when he coached at Iowa and Drake. But the real takeaway for me was what an incredible scumbag Henry Hill was!

Not for nothing they murder people they're all scumbags that will give you up in a second.
    edited October 2014
    The deck was stacked against JB. The law had their ducks in a line making sure the Judge was a "Maximum John" better known as "Hammerin Hank". TPerla was a localBM in Pittsburgh. Not true his following statement. Paraphrasing Tony Perla, "We'd know the odds. They'd be out a few days before the game in Vegas." Not betting #'s. Sweeney? He played both ends agains the middle. Regarless of his Irish Catholic background, the BC Jesuits want no part of him. Cobb? You decide.
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    I like these films but I thought this one came up a bit short. They never interviewed or found anyone that took any bets on these games. They never mentioned if the lines moved significantly to tip anyone off that something may be happening.

Plus no one could decide how much they made? Hill said they made enough money to carry it out in wheelbarrows. One of the Perla's, I believe, said they made a little bit (less than $10,000).

Too much nonsense with very little matching up with anybody else. It was interesting but who the hell do you believe? They all seemed full of shit.

On another note. I know I was on the wrong side of the football point shaving incident in the mid 90's with BC. I think they were laying -5 at home vs Pitt, maybe, and I had BC. I thought it was a Thursday night game but I'll have to go back and check.
    edited October 2014
    ebemiss wrote: »
    I like these films but I thought this one came up a bit short. They never interviewed or found anyone that took any bets on these games. They never mentioned if the lines moved significantly to tip anyone off that something may be happening.

Plus no one could decide how much they made? Hill said they made enough money to carry it out in wheelbarrows. One of the Perla's, I believe, said they made a little bit (less than $10,000).

Too much nonsense with very little matching up with anybody else. It was interesting but who the hell do you believe? They all seemed full of shit.

On another note. I know I was on the wrong side of the football point shaving incident in the mid 90's with BC. I think they were laying -5 at home vs Pitt, maybe, and I had BC. I thought it was a Thursday night game but I'll have to go back and check.

I agree, Hill said he made a little over 400k and the older Perla (Looked like it anyway) said less then 10k. It was interesting but could have been done so much better. The players went from 2500 a game to 2k a game to split. That was never explained and one player (forgot his name) stiffed the other two giving them $500 each and the one player taking 1k.Yes Ron Jimmy the gent they him wanted bad.

Wrong side of the fix, I hate when that happens :)
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Yeah, it wasn't one of the better ones, I had more questions after seeing it than I had beforehand. However, considering the garbage that's on TV nowadays, I'll take it. Still not sure who or what to believe. It's hard to believe Sweeney was as innocent as he represented himself, but then again we're talking about a college kid mixed up with some unsavory characters, so maybe he was as na?ve as it appears
    edited October 2014
    Here's a yarn told by the elder Perla(Book):

Mazzei flew into Vegas to bet 50k against BC. HELLO!!This is the late 70's. He couldn't get that much down, especially near post even if he layed 6/5. Oh, Mazzei called Perla just prior to game time and said he got stuck in a traffic jam and couldn't get down. These guys were lost without NY assistance.
    edited October 2014
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Here's a yarn told by the elder Perla(Book):

Mazzei flew into Vegas to bet 50k against BC. HELLO!!This is the late 70's. He couldn't get that much down, especially near post even if he layed 6/5. Oh, Mazzei called Perla just prior to game time and said he got stuck in a traffic jam and couldn't get down. These guys were lost without NY assistance.

I'm sure you and old timer have a ton stories about this. I thought it was interesting until Henry hill said he didn't know it was against the law to fix a game. I think that was bullshit. He had to know it was a big deal.
    edited October 2014
    BTH, the fabrications in this fiasco are endless.
    What I saw at the end of the story was sickening. The 2 old geezers meet up and Mazzei embraces him like a long lost relative. The POS Hill even insists that Mazzei was a stool pidgeon like himself. Not true.
  • JafarJafar Banned
    edited October 2014
    I know a FG kicker from a Pac-10 school in the early 90s, degenerate gambler, who claimed to have fixed games. He said to me drunk once, after the QB who do you go to when you want to shave points?

I dunno if he was fucking with me or not, but in all my years doing this, I have met very few with the true degenerate tendencies as this guy. I've seen him go from a million to broke to a million again all gambling 3 different times. I actually believe him.
  • JafarJafar Banned
    edited October 2014
    Another short story-

I was visiting friends in Boulder after I had been in Vegas for a few years. The field goal kicker was at the bar and I bought him a few shots and everyone he was with. We got to talking and he asked what I did and I told him sports betting. I even brought up the amount it would take him for a couple kicks to sail wide right. His name was Aric Goodman if anyone wants to look up his stats. He was fucking garbage. But he definitely had a price. If he were good and I could get down an amount that would make it worth it, I would choose a tightly lined game where it might come down to the kicker and have him have an awful day. He definitely would have done it. Probably for around 5 dimes.
    edited October 2014
    Hey kane didn't want to start a new thread and I know your high on North Caroline and +17 -115 are starting to pop up and I'm a believer and taking a ride with you. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad. Good Luck
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Hey kane didn't want to start a new thread and I know your high on North Caroline and +17 -115 are starting to pop up and I'm a believer and taking a ride with you. I don't know if that's a good thing or bad. Good Luck

I took them +17 (-10), I'm betting on the Irish sleepwalking through this one, obviously if they "show up", we're in some trouble. I've been doing well in the colleges, so hopefully that continues.
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Looking forward to the next 30 for 30 Boston betting scandal with this years Harvard hoop squad. Good god. I know they are no where near as good as their last couple of years teams but this team has a knack for finding a way to not cover or just lose outright. Would be the perfect under the radar situation. Anyone else notice anything with them this year that seems funky? Luckily I haven't been on them but I kick myself for not putting more down on some of the action bets I've played against them since the 1st of the year.
  • jammerjammer Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    ebemiss wrote: »
    Looking forward to the next 30 for 30 Boston betting scandal with this years Harvard hoop squad. Good god. I know they are no where near as good as their last couple of years teams but this team has a knack for finding a way to not cover or just lose outright. Would be the perfect under the radar situation. Anyone else notice anything with them this year that seems funky? Luckily I haven't been on them but I kick myself for not putting more down on some of the action bets I've played against them since the 1st of the year.

They are the worst free throw shooting team in the nation at 56.8%
    edited February 2016
    Bookmaking then was different than today with some exceptions. A "suspected" game would be taken off the board by 'connected' outs. The mom and pop/independant BMs would take the brunt of the larceny.