Betting Talk

Local Book Question...

DubbsDubbs Senior Member
edited October 2014 in Sports Betting
I'd like to get some feedback on how to play my local. I just opened an account this weekend with a book that heavily (1/2 - 1 1/2pts) shades favorites. It obviously pays off when taking dogs, (i.e. Iowa St +22, Memphis +22 this past weekend) but is difficult when I want the fave (i.e. Oklahoma -4.5, he still has OU -6 this weekend). For lack of a better term, do I just "auto" play these dogs? I don't cap my own games, I follow, and I shop. I also have a local whose site mirrors BM. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited September 2014
    Dubbs wrote: »
    I'd like to get some feedback on how to play my local. I just opened an account this weekend with a book that heavily (1/2 - 1 1/2pts) shades favorites. It obviously pays off when taking dogs, (i.e. Iowa St +22, Memphis +22 this past weekend) but is difficult when I want the fave (i.e. Oklahoma -4.5, he still has OU -6 this weekend). For lack of a better term, do I just "auto" play these dogs? I don't cap my own games, I follow, and I shop. I also have a local whose site mirrors BM. Thanks in advance!

Until someone sharper than me chimes in with a more helpful answer, I feel comfortable saying you can't just blindly play every good dog line in football if you're getting an extra 1/2-1 pt around non-key numbers. Getting +3.5 on a +2.5 dog or +7.5 on a +6.5 dog is of course another story, especially in the NFL.

Hopefully someone responds with a longer, more accurate answer, but I think that should get you started.
  • golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    Absolutely do not blindly bet every dog. If you have another out play the favs there, and play your dogs at this new place.
    But I think blindly betting dogs cause of a .5/1pt advantage is not smart. You could easily still lose your ass between now and rest of season if favs run well. I would look for another out to play the favs and play dogs at this place.
  • golfer1000golfer1000 Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    And if you were to blindly play the dogs, then you would want to wait till right before kick to make sure you are beating the WA closers.
  • DubbsDubbs Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    golfer1000 wrote: »
    And if you were to blindly play the dogs, then you would want to wait till right before kick to make sure you are beating the WA closers.

Thanks. I didn't necessarily mean "blindly" bet them. Just wanted to see if someone had a plan of attack. I understand Goats' advice. I've already had Cowboys +3.5, Chiefs +3 -110 at kickoff, UW +8, and took Stanford -4.5 second half. But USC -8, instead of the 7 or 7.5, to follow fishboom, scared me off.
    edited September 2014
    Examples this week; 303 FAU -7.5, 306 UH -3.5, 309 UL -3, 314 BYU -21.5, 328 ECU -43, 383 Bama -7, etc, etc
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    Dubbs wrote: »

If you have other outs & can shop why would you even think about playing favs there? As for blindly betting dogs no I wouldn't.
    Good question to ask StevieY though as I'm sure he has a breakdown on it.
  • chuckhchuckh Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    Are NFL lines shaded also? more value in NFL IMO
    also look at ML's may have a few scalps there
    edited September 2014
    chuckh wrote: »
    Are NFL lines shaded also? more value in NFL IMO
    also look at ML's may have a few scalps there

Yes.
  • TexasHookEmTexasHookEm Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Plan of attack: on games you are going to bet, bet the best line. Or the worst if you are looking for a real challenge.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Easy answer is to go to someplace like Pinny/5Dimes that offers alternate lines, click on the drop-down to see what price you'd pay on the opposite side of the game you're looking at, and go from there. If you could arb it, definitely make it a play. If you're beating the vig-free line at Pinny, then strongly consider it. But under no circumstances would I ever be playing a favorite with him at a point or 1.5 points worse than it can be had elsewhere.
    edited October 2014
    Plan of attack: on games you are going to bet, bet the best line. Or the worst if you are looking for a real challenge.

I appreciate you taking the time to write this. You have really opened my eyes to this situation.
  • hornsfanhornsfan Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    TommyL wrote: »
    Easy answer is to go to someplace like Pinny/5Dimes that offers alternate lines, click on the drop-down to see what price you'd pay on the opposite side of the game you're looking at, and go from there. If you could arb it, definitely make it a play. If you're beating the vig-free line at Pinny, then strongly consider it. But under no circumstances would I ever be playing a favorite with him at a point or 1.5 points worse than it can be had elsewhere.

this is what i did for years. different sports would require a different "hurdle" for the scalp to become an autoplay. i then weighted them as well...a 5 cent scalp in NFL was worth X while a 10 cent scalp was worth 1.5X. good luck...pretty easy money if you can figure out the hurdles that work/make sense in my opinion.
  • BeardedTacoBeardedTaco Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    I am no local book expert like you guys who get $2000 limits on RAS november CBB totals but isnt there something to be said for NOT max betting 30 of the 50 dogs on saturday to take advantage of the shade? That would seem like a good way to get the boot fast, just bet a handful of them for different amounts depending on ur "following/tailing" strategy and enjoy your +EV bets the rest of the football season.

As chuck mentioned the best blind bet candidates would be NFL spreads jump over key numbers (-2.5 vs -3.5, that's a small dunk +EV bet close to kickoff). NFL games will also have the most volume at ur book and if u happen to crush the bookie probably won't care too much.
  • jmjm Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Sounds like your local is Bovada
  • SenecaKrookkSenecaKrookk Junior Member
    edited October 2014
    jm wrote: »
    Sounds like your local is Bovada

My local uses bovada. Whats the best plan here?

I have come to the same conclusion as others and have tried to bet the games I could get the most value on which is the NFL. I have checked 5dimes alternative lines to see how much value I am getting on these games. I also check Pinny of course.

My question is if i am getting 20-30 cents of value from the 5dimes alternate lines near kickoff what would my EV be for the season? It would be a rather limited sample size as I am betting the games with the most value. So around 4 NFL games a week. Also usually put a 15-20% money line play
  • ericvandenericvanden Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    The more you win, the less likely you are to get any money out at Bovada. Can find a slew of off market numbers during CBB and 2nd Halves of virtually every sport.
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    ericvanden wrote: »
    The more you win, the less likely you are to get any money out at Bovada. Can find a slew of off market numbers during CBB and 2nd Halves of virtually every sport.

I used Bovada for quite a while and I agree. They started adjusting the lines a particular way after I was clearly tailing all sharp guys. I switched to 5dimes and love it. It'd still be nice to have a local as an option to shop lines but for now I make due. I'll never deposit another dime on Bovada. Worst customer service ever and too many late night poker tournaments for this guy
  • ericvandenericvanden Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Seneca. Just got online and to give you an example of Bovada in the NFL lines.....

Carolina +7 (-105) and Houston (+3.5) as of right now. Can't find those anywhere else. You can hammer lines like this all you want but it really doesn't matter if you hit 55% and don't get paid.....if your local uses Bovada lines and looks them up as you send them, then you may be able to get something for a short while depending on your relationship with your local.