Betting Talk

what I've been seeing in CFB

Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
edited October 2014 in Sports Betting
I seen this at least 3x's Saturday. A team down 17 or more with about 3 minutes left and all there time outs not using them and just letting the other team run the clock. Has anyone never seen a 17 point come back with 3 minutes left. Sends a white flag message to your team. I understand it's highly unlikely that your coming back but in does happen and your sending a we quit message to your team that may stay with them through other games. Just for the record I was happy to see it on one of my games knowing I wasn't getting back doored.

Comments

• white broncowhite bronco Member
    edited September 2014
    Bobby Hauck wanted a late TD so bad he was sweating through his shirt.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    This has been a trend in both baskets and fb for many years. I think the coach rationale is "why risk injuries in an improbable win situation". Dean Smith never subscribed to the "give up". Too bad he can't recall it.
    Pre-Jordan era, you'd hardly see an NBA team being allowed to dribble out the clock. "Victory Formation" aka taking a knee, hasn't always been a part of both pro and college fb.
    Bottomline OT? Coaches are thinking longevity for their pocket and secondly their team.
  • MrAdvantageMrAdvantage Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    Not all coaches. I saw Drew Brees take a pretty good shot with 2:27 left, no to's, down 21 last night. I think Payton is an absolute idiot still having him sling in that situation.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    I seen this at least 3x's Saturday. A team down 17 or more with about 3 minutes left and all there time outs not using them and just letting the other team run the clock. Has anyone never seen a 17 point come back with 3 minutes left. Sends a white flag message to your team. I understand it's highly unlikely that your coming back but in does happen and your sending a we quit message to your team that may stay with them through other games. Just for the record I was happy to see it on one of my games knowing I wasn't getting back doored.

I agree, you see it all the time. On the other hand, if they ARE trying to come back, you see them not rushing to the line, wasting time looking at the sidelines for the play, changing the play while seconds run off, not running out of bounds, not throwing the ball away but instead trying to scramble, and on and on. Not to mention the stupid using up timeouts early because they're confused-- take the delay penalty-- the timeouts are more important. And, don't get me started on nobody calling 2 plays when they are 3rd and 2 so they can go quickly if they don't make it.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    And, don't get me started on nobody calling 2 plays when they are 3rd and 2 so they can go quickly if they don't make it.

BTD, I think u r asking a little too much from some of these "Rhodes Scholars". If necessary, play #2 is an odds-on choice to commit a false start.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited October 2014
    Ronbets wrote: »
    BTD, I think u r asking a little too much from some of these "Rhodes Scholars". If necessary, play #2 is an odds-on choice to commit a false start.

Yeah, I forgot to bitch about false starts and taking sacks. But, I thought it was "Road Scholars"---- as in "if you don't make it in football, you'll have to hit the road, dumbass."