Betting Talk

Wager question

cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
edited September 2014 in Sports Betting
Yesterday I had the following parlay placed at kickoff of the noon games.

Packers ML -125
Colts O45.5 -110
Stl Cards ML -160

$100--$458

News came out at 3:05 that Waino wouldn't need to start because of Pirates loss. I immediately logged in an placed the following parlay.

SF ML
Vikes +5.5
Diamondbacks +1.5 -120

$55-230 something.

I log back in after Cards win and I see a note (PCHG) next to first parlay and it's labeled s winner for a payout of +$725. i missing something or did they pay me out too much on the first one and not enough on 2nd. Also whats PCHG mean? Pitching change what?

Comments

• Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    It sounds like your first parlay had "Action" on the Cards so when there was a pitching change you got the adjusted price which most likely had the cards as a dog or a much smaller favorite and you were paid according. If you had listed pitchers it would have become a 2 team parlay with only the Pack and Colts.
  • cpech56cpech56 Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    It sounds like your first parlay had "Action" on the Cards so when there was a pitching change you got the adjusted price which most likely had the cards as a dog or a much smaller favorite and you were paid according. If you had listed pitchers it would have become a 2 team parlay with only the Pack and Colts.

So I'm assuming the 2nd parlay was dropped to a 2 teamer since AZ went from dog to favorite having a line on them at +1.5 wouldnt been cancelled?
    edited September 2014
    cpech56 wrote: »
    So I'm assuming the 2nd parlay was dropped to a 2 teamer since AZ went from dog to favorite having a line on them at +1.5 wouldnt been cancelled?

I could be wrong on this one don't play much run line stuff but i don't believe it would have any effect on the line change as long as the same pitchers started when u made the bet. That would be one reason to cancel a run line bet or if the game wasn't completed then u have no action on a run line bet. Once a run line is set it stays that way regardless on ML movement.
    Hope this helps.
    edited September 2014
    Thanks OT. Just wondering so I know whether its worth while to question that 2nd parlay. Theres no way a 3 teamer for $55 would only pay $100. Even with SF being decent favs. Just worried if I investigate too much they may look back at the first parlay.
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited September 2014
    cpech56 wrote: »
    Thanks OT. Just wondering so I know whether its worth while to question that 2nd parlay. Theres no way a 3 teamer for $55 would only pay $100. Even with SF being decent favs. Just worried if I investigate too much they may look back at the first parlay.

I don't bet runlines but I believe they are all listed pitchers(like totals) so your 3 teamer became a 2 teamer.
    edited September 2014
    Never looked at the baseball matchups over the weekend but I'm assuming now that the cards played Arizona and if thats the case a pitching change took place and all totals and run lines were no action.
  • groovinmahoovingroovinmahoovin Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    A lot of people don't understand how baseball bets work with pitching changes. When you bet action, you don't get automatic action on the line you bet. You get an adjusted line on the new matchup, and you're at the mercy of the book to pick what line they'll use with the new pitchers. So in the first parlay, they used a line of STL +140/ ARI -150, which is what a lot of books used. I heard of other books that used STL +100/ARI -110, so they were all over the map there.

You can be certain that many books use their exposure to decide which line they'll use for the adjusted bets. In this instance, I don't think any books even took bets on the new matchup, but even when they do take action, there's nothing preventing a book from saying "new line for adjusted MLs is +140/-150" and then immediately moving the line to whatever line at which they want to actually take more action on the game.

Runlines and totals are always listed pitchers, as was mentioned, but even if you'd bet ARI +140 or +150 with the ML, you wouldn't have gotten that line, you'd have gotten ARI -150.
    edited September 2014
    Just to close it out when betting baseball you should always bet listed pitchers.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    When you bet action, you don't get automatic action on the line you bet. You get an adjusted line on the new matchup, and you're at the mercy of the book to pick what line they'll use with the new pitchers.
    You can be certain that many books use their exposure to decide which line they'll use for the adjusted bets.

Exactly!! IOW, they freeroll you on the price.
    edited September 2014
    This is exactly why I love this place, I learn something new every day. Thanks gentlemen
  • groovinmahoovingroovinmahoovin Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Just to close it out when betting baseball you should always bet listed pitchers.

Yeah, I'm not sure I've ever bet action, aside from accidentally at one of the annoying books where you have to select the pitchers every single time you place a bet, rather than letting you default to listed pitchers. The only time I can think of betting "action" if I had something like a use it or lose it free play on a particular game (say a book gives a free play on game 1 of the World Series) and I wouldn't be around later to bet if there was a change in scheduled pitchers.

If you somehow find a book that does honor the old line, like maybe a really old school local or something, then yeah, ARI +140 or +150 would have been a great bet after the pitching change.
    edited September 2014
    Yeah, I'm not sure I've ever bet action, aside from accidentally at one of the annoying books where you have to select the pitchers every single time you place a bet, rather than letting you default to listed pitchers. The only time I can think of betting "action" if I had something like a use it or lose it free play on a particular game (say a book gives a free play on game 1 of the World Series) and I wouldn't be around later to bet if there was a change in scheduled pitchers.

If you somehow find a book that does honor the old line, like maybe a really old school local or something, then yeah, ARI +140 or +150 would have been a great bet after the pitching change.

That's exactly the way my book has it. It's annoying and now that I you guys have explained why a site prefers actions it makes sense as to why they have it set that way by default and make you change it.