Betting Talk

Directv Sunday Ticket

NemaNema Senior Member
edited September 2014 in Sports Betting
I don't know if I was just lucky or not but was able to secure a $200.00 discount yesterday. I used my standard line of I have been an 18 year subscriber and I would like to know what you can offer me? He initially said $80.00 off and I countered with a bullshit line of my buddy was able to get $150.00 off and he has only been with you 3 years. Put me on hold for an eternity and a supervisor came on and asked me what I felt was fair and I said Free would be fair but could we talk about $200.00 and after a pause they OK'd it. Each year I try this it has gotten harder but you have to work them.

Comments

• Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    I did alright myself this year but now with AT&T buying them out who knows moving forward. Directv has always treated me great.
  • jakenhljakenhl Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    Nema wrote: »
    I don't know if I was just lucky or not but was able to secure a $200.00 discount yesterday. I used my standard line of I have been an 18 year subscriber and I would like to know what you can offer me? He initially said $80.00 off and I countered with a bullshit line of my buddy was able to get $150.00 off and he has only been with you 3 years. Put me on hold for an eternity and a supervisor came on and asked me what I felt was fair and I said Free would be fair but could we talk about $200.00 and after a pause they OK'd it. Each year I try this it has gotten harder but you have to work them.

It's amazing how it works out for some people and not for others. I've been with them since 1994. I Have bought the NFL Sunday ticket, NBA league Pass, and both college basketball and football packages for the last 20 years as well. I'm running 11 fucking receivers and a genie. The best they will give me is $50 off on the Sunday ticket. They tell me because I got it for free last year that's the best they can do. Obviously I'm on the suckers list.
  • kcburghkcburgh Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    Called today they gave me 1/2 off the entire package..4 payments of 40ish.
  • stillcrazystillcrazy Junior Member
    edited August 2014
    I used their not carrying Pac 12 network and that I would switch to Comcast. $225 off.
  • jakenhljakenhl Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    stillcrazy wrote: »
    I used their not carrying Pac 12 network and that I would switch to Comcast. $225 off.
    Nice. I definitely am on the sucker's list. I actually do have the PAC 12 channel via Dish. Cost me an extra $60/mo. I have called them a couple times telling them exactly what you did and only $50 off.

Good luck.
    Eddie
    edited August 2014
    Jake,

You have to ask for the Retention Dept and they should at a min give you the 4 payments of $40 and then ask in addition what other promotions you have. I received another $10 for a year this way the NFL package is almost free. I didn't ask or push for anything else because I've been getting between $40-$70 a month off for just a little over a year and still have a few months to go. This will be the 2nd year out of the last 4 that I paid at a discount for the NFL the other 2 were free. I received this past NBA season free but it was in monthly installments of $15 a month for 15 months.

Like you I'm a long time customer and been doing this for years. We spend a lot of money with them and a little kickback is warranted.
    I'm sure you know all this and don't take this wrong because I used to tell all the people that worked for me that if your approach isn't working think about it maybe it's you and try a different way. Don't let them get under your skin, Schmooze"em. Don't even bother with the clerks they're very happy to not have to deal with you and turn you over to the retention dept who have much more leeway.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Jake,

You have to ask for the Retention Dept and they should at a min give you the 4 payments of $40 and then ask in addition what other promotions you have. I received another $10 for a year this way the NFL package is almost free. I didn't ask or push for anything else because I've been getting between $40-$70 a month off for just a little over a year and still have a few months to go. This will be the 2nd year out of the last 4 that I paid at a discount for the NFL the other 2 were free. I received this past NBA season free but it was in monthly installments of $15 a month for 15 months.

Like you I'm a long time customer and been doing this for years. We spend a lot of money with them and a little kickback is warranted.
    I'm sure you know all this and don't take this wrong because I used to tell all the people that worked for me that if your approach isn't working think about it maybe it's you and try a different way. Don't let them get under your skin, Schmooze"em. Don't even bother with the clerks they're very happy to not have to deal with you and turn you over to the retention dept who have much more leeway.

Hey OT--same dance--new year. I called yesterday and spoke to a friendly girl in the customer retention dept. This is my 20th year with DTV, and when I call, I don't threaten to leave, get loud, or confrontational. Because some of the breaks I got last year at this time ran for 15 mos., 18 mos., or even a couple for 24 mos. I wasn't expecting much this time around (especially with the early reports here and elsewhere). I was able to get the Sunday Ticket Max for 1/2 price, and some more breaks on other premium channel stuff, the ended up reducing my bill by about $45 a month for the next year. So approx. $540 off.
  • SunBelterSunBelter Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    I had to agree to a new 2 yr agreement, but I got the Sunday Ticket free, a $20 creidt off next months bill, and $5/mn for 6 mns off the Sports pack channels.
  • newcombenewcombe Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    i've been a lifelong cox cable guy and just bought a new home in which the cable w/in the home is awful (old coax) so after having them come out numerous times adding splitters and trying to ramp up the signal w/in the house - it still didn't work well. Made the call to Directv and loving every bit of it and the fact that I have everything wireless on the receivers in the home so I don't have to worry about the old shitty wiring; oh and of course the free NFL ticket is nice too. directv's technology and options are lovely. kept internet with cox but they didn't even try to refute me leaving this time as they knew how bad my situation was with them at the new house...

rained like mad last night and the signal held strong which was nice to see as well...
  • jmjm Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    My contract was up and I got $30 off my monthly bill plus Sunday tic for free if I renew my contract for a yr
  • calzonesayscalzonesays Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    all free for us DTV employees MMMMMM

little tip...if you have a spouse or a significant other, just have them sign up after your 2 year agreement is up and they can get new customer perks

or call up the Retention Group and threaten to go to DISH :sleepy:
  • calzonesayscalzonesays Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    newcombe wrote: »
    i've been a lifelong cox cable guy and just bought a new home in which the cable w/in the home is awful (old coax) so after having them come out numerous times adding splitters and trying to ramp up the signal w/in the house - it still didn't work well. Made the call to Directv and loving every bit of it and the fact that I have everything wireless on the receivers in the home so I don't have to worry about the old shitty wiring; oh and of course the free NFL ticket is nice too. directv's technology and options are lovely. kept internet with cox but they didn't even try to refute me leaving this time as they knew how bad my situation was with them at the new house...

rained like mad last night and the signal held strong which was nice to see as well...

the newer satelite dishes are awesome, rarely lose signal now
  • pettifoggerpettifogger Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    Got Sunday Ticket free since Retention gave me a $480 discount at $40 a month. I've only been with DTV for 2 years.
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    just got off the phone, did really well last year not so much this year,
    5 bucks off showtime and hbo a month for a year, 20 off my total bill each month for a year, but because they gave me the ticket free last year they said they couldn't do it this year....but they cut it in half ...4 payments of 40 and that's for the max. The guy was in the navy like me and we talked for at least a half hour, he said they will make a big push right before the season and to call back that they might just give the rest of it to me for nothing.
    Illl call back next week.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited August 2014
    jets96 wrote: »
    just got off the phone, did really well last year not so much this year,
    5 bucks off showtime and hbo a month for a year, 20 off my total bill each month for a year, but because they gave me the ticket free last year they said they couldn't do it this year....but they cut it in half ...4 payments of 40 and that's for the max. The guy was in the navy like me and we talked for at least a half hour, he said they will make a big push right before the season and to call back that they might just give the rest of it to me for nothing.
    Illl call back next week.

That doesn't sound too bad to me. $300 in bill credits and half off the ticket works out to what, something like 500 for the year? I'll be happy to get that when I call in next week.
  • jets96jets96 Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    you know , I guess it isn't that bad , am going by last year , am hoping when I call next week they give me the whole ticket free, but your right I can't complain.....have been with dt since 2000
  • ugadawgs7769ugadawgs7769 Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    I've had an issue that Directv has had to send someone out to my house four times (and of course Ive had to be here for 4 hour window to meet them). Problem has happened again, should I wait until a resolution of this issue before making my Sunday Ticket call or should I call now and act like I want it for being so upset at this longstanding problem we are having. Problem is related to me having too many TVs in my house for whatever SWM they are putting downstairs.
    edited August 2014
    I've had an issue that Directv has had to send someone out to my house four times (and of course Ive had to be here for 4 hour window to meet them). Problem has happened again, should I wait until a resolution of this issue before making my Sunday Ticket call or should I call now and act like I want it for being so upset at this longstanding problem we are having. Problem is related to me having too many TVs in my house for whatever SWM they are putting downstairs.

I'd definitely call now and tell them that you're so frustrated that you want to cancel. Having an actual legit reason to back it up should only help you with your case.
  • lumpy19lumpy19 Senior Member
    edited August 2014

How many TV's? I've had 10 hooked up for a few years with no problems. It's a wiring nightmare in my basement but they've always worked.
  • rock2rock2 Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    I call them every yr around this time n tell them i am calling to cancel of course they ask why i tell them well dish or u verse is cheaper n offering great deals n each time they ask what can we do to keep ya boom rNFL TICKET i always my wife will kill me but i will deal with her i tell them i took last yr off cause i knew they were coming out with the GEINE which i heard was cool n i give them the Uline how is it fair 4 new costmers to get that free n what bout your
    long time guys n i guess i must get lucky cause it has work for 5yrs other then last yr when i did not try anyhow try it b nice n if u do not like what u hearing hang up n call back to get a nicer rep......GL
    GETER DONE PEACE
  • ugadawgs7769ugadawgs7769 Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    lumpy19 wrote: »
    How many TV's? I've had 10 hooked up for a few years with no problems. It's a wiring nightmare in my basement but they've always worked.

Only 7 but thats the excuse they give me every time as being the basis of my problem.
    edited August 2014
    Only 7 but thats the excuse they give me every time as being the basis of my problem.

When I get a chance I'll take a pic of the splitter, see if it helps u at all.
    edited September 2014
    I made the annual call today. Same as always, "too expensive", "wife wants me to save $ and is giving me crap about how expensive it is when we always get better offers in the mail from Dish or Comcast", "I'd love to keep it since I want the Sunday Ticket, but can't justify the cost any more", "please cancel".

Right off the bat, she offered me free red zone channel, $10/month off for 12 months, and another $10/month off for 6 months. Also told me that I'm still locked into a contract for 12 more months (I took a 24 month contract to get the genie for free last year) and that I'd have to pay $240 early term fee ($20/month) if I want to cancel now. I said that I really didn't want to cancel, but the other deals are just so good that if that's all they can do for me, I'll suck it up and pay the $240 to get out. She asked what would make me reconsider, and I told her doing something to help with the Sunday Ticket. Put me on hold to talk to a supervisor.

Came back with a deal that if I was willing to upgrade my package for at least 3 months, they'd give me the ticket max for free. Bill will be about $10/month more over these 3 months (as they gave a couple of other incentives to lower it but not enough to completely offset it), but I can call and switch back to my current package on 12/9 and still keep the ticket for free. So I took it. So this new package gives me about 15 random channels (mostly movies), Cinemax, HBO, and Showtime until I cancel it on 12/9.

So all told, I'll pay about $10/month more for free months, but it'll give me those movie channels and Sunday ticket. Plus the $20 off for 6 months, and $10 off for 6 more months after that. And a year from now, I won't have a contract so I'm sure I'll be back to my "full" negotiating power. I'm shocked that they even did this much for me once I heard that I was in a contract and would have to spend $240 to get out of it (which I never would have done).

As always, it was more than worth it for the 10-15 minutes that I spent on the phone with them. If you're paying full price every year, you're really wasting money.
    edited September 2014
    When I get a chance I'll take a pic of the splitter, see if it helps u at all.

you should look at switching to their wireless setup. not sure how many tvs can be setup wireless but I have 3 now and it avoided my wire mess I had as well. its lovely.
  • Joe DogsJoe Dogs Member
    edited September 2014
    I've been a Direct TV subscriber For years......And let me tell you "The squeaky wheel gets the grease".You have to call and them and give them the old "What have you done for me lately routine".Im not saying to call and act like a raving, idiot....Just call and politely state your case..."I've been a subscriber for many years and ,I've heard about all these great deals the new Subscribers are getting,and I was wondering If I qualify".....I've gotten everything from $$$$ off my cable bill for months at a time,to free premium channels for months on end....The key here is to call them,If you don't ask,you shall not receive.
    edited September 2014
    Well said Dogs, A few years ago (long time sub and call all the time) I opened up with I'm tired of seeing Dion Sanders flying around giving the NFL package away to new Subs for free. Very nicely of course and then we talked and Got it free + other stuff. The key is always ask for the retention Dept and be polite and know when to stop pushing.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    I take it you guys have many TVs and a fairly large bill. I've got 1 TV and it took 3 calls this year to get anything out of them. My first call was amazing-- said I couldn't afford the Game Plan as it was $30 extra a month for 4 months-- she said they could bill it in a 1 time fee-- as if that would fix things. Finally on third call I got enough off to cover the Game Plan-- but nothing extra.

As an aside-- this may be the last year I get the Game Plan. With all the conferences getting their own networks there are less and less decent games on it. Last couple of years it was a lot of WAC and Sun Belt-- and with the WAC dead there won't be much on it anymore.
  • speculatorspeculator Senior Member
    edited September 2014
    Good information to know; I just cancelled the Sunday nfl because it was too expensive....
    edited September 2014
    newcombe wrote: »
    you should look at switching to their wireless setup. not sure how many tvs can be setup wireless but I have 3 now and it avoided my wire mess I had as well. its lovely.

I have my house wired so all the receivers are in one location in the basement. The wireless would save me if I added a new TV but that's about it. It could be neat and clean but i'm lazy and everything works so i don't touch it.
    edited September 2014
    I have my house wired so all the receivers are in one location in the basement. The wireless would save me if I added a new TV but that's about it. It could be neat and clean but i'm lazy and everything works so i don't touch it.

cool. For any others that may have issues with their current wiring then the wireless route is the way to go vs. having the home rewired with more current coax.