Betting Talk

Lester for Cespedes

kdogkdog Senior Member
edited August 2014 in Sports Betting
Lester & Jonny Gomes to the A's for Cespedes is what's being reported. Even showing up on ESPN now.

Comments

• Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Great trade for Oakland.
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    If they can sign him. Lot to give up for a rental even if they win it all.
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited July 2014
    10-12 starts for real power threat.
    Not to mention , he is from the chicken and beer group of Lackey, Beckett , would not want him anywhere near A's young starters.
    Zero chances of resigning in Oakland. Bad trade for A's
  • procapprocap Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Lot to give up for a rental even if they win it all.

I have to disagree with this. Cespedes doesn't exactly fit the "money ball" prototype. Once you move past the hype the media has created around him, his numbers aren't anything spectacular. And not that 28 is old, but it's certainly not like he's a young prospect or anything. I'm sure Beane is thrilled to get Lester in return for him.
    edited July 2014
    procap wrote: »
    I have to disagree with this. Cespedes doesn't exactly fit the "money ball" prototype. Once you move past the hype the media has created around him, his numbers aren't anything spectacular. And not that 28 is old, but it's certainly not like he's a young prospect or anything. I'm sure Beane is thrilled to get Lester in return for him.

All of this, plus let's remember that Cespedes was gone from Oakland after next year anyways.
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Dr. H wrote: »
    All of this, plus let's remember that Cespedes was gone from Oakland after next year anyways.

I think its a great trade for Boston as well, assuming the Dodgers/Cards etc top prospects were not on the table.

But yes Oakland crushed it. Cespedes was gone next year. They have a stockpile of OF/DH types against RHP as it was. And Gomes can almost match Cespedes vs LHP.
    edited July 2014
    Agree, it was a good trade for both sides. Cespedes is far more replaceable for Oakland than most think.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    If they can sign him. Lot to give up for a rental even if they win it all.

I disagree with this. If you guaranteed the A's two things; first, Lester won't re-sign in Oakland past this year, and second, the A's win the WS, Billy Beane makes the trade every time. IMO any trade that results in winning a championship is a good one.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    I agree with kane. They aren't going to sign Lester and they weren't going to sign Cespedes next year so in my mind how can this be a bad trade for Oakland. I'm not saying it's a bad trade for Boston who will most likely sign Cespedes but for right now Oakland just got way stronger to win it all. The man is remarkable to be able to put a team as this on the field with the amount of money he spends.

EDIT: The Yankees really need to watch and learn.
  • TurnstoneTurnstone Member
    edited July 2014
    Dr. H wrote: »
    Agree, it was a good trade for both sides. Cespedes is far more replaceable for Oakland than most think.

Yep. As good as he is, adding Fuld and combining him with what they have now should platoon just fine.
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Turnstone wrote: »
    Yep. As good as he is, adding Fuld and combining him with what they have now should platoon just fine.

Fuld is a backup/crisp insurance for them. Might get DFA when gentry comes back if crisp is healthy.
  • CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    And then the Tigers trolled the A's, gotta love the trade deadline.
  • GooseSTLGooseSTL Senior Member
    edited August 2014
    worm33 wrote: »
    Cards etc top prospects were not on the table.

Actually, the Cards were going for Price and TB wanted too many prospects. I think they did well w/ the Lackey deal. Get rid of Craig's salary to free up some $$$ for offseason moves and Lackey only due $500K next season. We were really hoping for Stanton for another bat in the line-up, but they decided to try and win this thing with pitching.

And you know the crazy thing? Who would have thought the Cards 29th in HR's, 29th in offense, no Molina, no Wacha, and the middle of the line-up having their worst season of their careers (not Adams) and they are one game out of the division and have like the 6th best record in MLB. I don't get it, but I'll take it.