Betting Talk

Lester Scratched from Wednesday's start

Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
edited September 2014 in Sports Betting
Unless it's an extra day, What team do you think is getting him. Angels would be nice for me.

Comments

• kanekane Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't know where he's going, but if he ends up in Anaheim, they become my favorite to win the pennant. The pick up of Huston Street was huge for them and if they can add a starter the quality of Lester, wow.
  • DubbsDubbs Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    O's working on Lester, nothing final, but in the works.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    My ticket says Angels 27-1 to win it all. Where's my guy Tanaka I need another start.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Dubbs wrote: »

It would be very surprising if the Sox dealt within the division, unless the O's blow them away with their offer
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited July 2014
    Dubbs wrote: »

I'd rather not make the trade if it involves parting with Bundy.
  • MrAdvantageMrAdvantage Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    kane wrote: »
    It would be very surprising if the Sox dealt within the division, unless the O's blow them away with their offer

He is a free agent. Why would they not trade him in the division?
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    He is a free agent. Why would they not trade him in the division?

I forgot about that, so it makes a little more sense I guess. Knowing he's a two month rental, maybe the Sox will take the best offer regardless of which team makes it.
  • MrAdvantageMrAdvantage Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    St Louis most likely outa the hunt (J Masterson)
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    St Louis most likely outa the hunt (J Masterson)

I wouldn't count the Cards out. Masterson might be a nice addition, but he's not a difference maker like Lester is, and the Cards have a very deep farm system.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    There's not that many options for him. He's feeling guilty leaving Boston and added that he might resign with them next year. Yeah sure.
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    kane wrote: »
    I wouldn't count the Cards out. Masterson might be a nice addition, but he's not a difference maker like Lester is, and the Cards have a very deep farm system.

Agree. Red Sox want an outfield bat. Prospect Oscar Taveras and a young starter might get it done.

I thought if the Red Sox offer him 20 mil a year for 4/5 that would work. Maybe they did and he won't take it. The guy is good. Nobody is giving up what the Red Sox are asking unless they already have a deal with Lester going forward IMO. This isn't a rental.
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited July 2014
    Terrible trade IMO for As !
    Kane, seems we are always opposite, there is no trade that makes Angels favorite to win pennant. IMO
    A's easily the favorite and now more so, not sure who the big bat will be now, but we will try to win 1-0 all the time I guess.
    edited July 2014
    Sorry tried to add on but waited too long.
    The reason this trade cud be done is cuz of Stephen Vogt, absolutely can rake and they want him in line up everyday and with Reddick back they needed a place for him.
    Gomes shud be able to hit .125 in Oakland with lots of warning track power. Smh
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    BigKahuna wrote: »
    The reason this trade cud be done is cuz of Stephen Vogt, absolutely can rake and they want him in line up everyday and with Reddick back they needed a place for him.

As an a's fan u didn't like Gomes .299/413/561 line vs lhp in 2012?
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited July 2014

First off, I love this trade for Oakland. As much as I like Cespedes, the A's have enough offense to withstand losing his bat. Second, Jonny Gomes hits lefties at a pretty good clip and you're also getting a great teammate and leader, he'll fit in perfect in that clubhouse. Great move by Billy Beane.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Terrible trade IMO for As !
    Kane, seems we are always opposite, there is no trade that makes Angels favorite to win pennant. IMO
    A's easily the favorite and now more so, not sure who the big bat will be now, but we will try to win 1-0 all the time I guess.

BK, you think this is a terrible trade for the A's, but you also think this makes them the favorite even more. What am I missing here?
    edited July 2014
    Terrible trade in that I think they could have got more for Cespedes then rent an arm for 2 months. Or had him around for rest of year and made a better trade next year same time.

They are the favorites and perception of Lester now makes them even bigger favorites. I am pretty sure line will drop.
    edited July 2014
    worm33 wrote: »
    As an a's fan u didn't like Gomes .299/413/561 line vs lhp in 2012?

Huh ? 2012 stats - that's what you are hoping for ?
    But to answer you, NO .
    He is 33, average declining , power almost non existent, and all of things will get further diminished in Oakland (home of acres of foul area).
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited July 2014
    AL playoffs should be interesting.

Detroit - Thank you for the new format so we don't have to play Anaheim in the 1st round. Oakland? Yawn, we own them, we own Lester, thank God they didn't get Price.

Oakland - Fucking new format. Why couldn't Anaheim take out Detroit for us.

Anaheim - Fucking new format. Why couldn't we play Detroit 1st, we own them. Oakland owns us. If we don't make a move in the next 3 hours(David Price, we will meet you in TB tomorrow and leave Matt Shoemaker behind), we will stay where we are now.

AL East - Remember us, we used to be the SEC of MLB. Our wild card team will take down Anaheim(I'm preparing myself for the letdown), and at the least scare Oakland because no one remembers we are still in the AL.
    edited July 2014
    Huh ? 2012 stats - that's what you are hoping for ?
    But to answer you, NO .
    He is 33, average declining , power almost non existent, and all of things will get further diminished in Oakland (home of acres of foul area).

So u did not like Gomes in 2012. Interesting.

The only thing relevent about Gomes is if he can hit LHP. This year he is hitting ..302 vs LHP. I know you really value batting average so I bolded that for you.
    edited July 2014
    So u did not like Gomes in 2012. Interesting.

The only thing relevent about Gomes is if he can hit LHP. This year he is hitting ..302 vs LHP. I know you really value batting average so I bolded that for you.

Oh I didn't know that in trades you could specify which years talent you will receive. Sounds good 2012 Gomes , great but no on the 2014 Gomes.

Thanks, I didn't know trades could be done like that.

Shouldn't someone trade for the 2006 Ryan Howard, I think he was good.

SMH a 2012 discussion. OMG

Just curious when you wager with your book, do you list the year /player you are betting on ?
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    A baseball team consists of 25 players in which some are role players and without them it's really hard to win with the grind of a baseball season.
    I'll take Gomes on my bench every day of the week knowing I have a strong left-handed bat. I don't understand your argument against a very good platoon player that's very much needed.
    edited July 2014
    Your definition of "very good" and mine differ, I guess.
    edited July 2014
    Oh I didn't know that in trades you could specify which years talent you will receive. Sounds good 2012 Gomes , great but no on the 2014 Gomes.

Thanks, I didn't know trades could be done like that.

Shouldn't someone trade for the 2006 Ryan Howard, I think he was good.

SMH a 2012 discussion. OMG

Just curious when you wager with your book, do you list the year /player you are betting on ?

So against LHP this year (which will consist of ~90% of his ab's in Oakland) he is hitting .302/400/431 vs LHP. Cespedes against LHP this year is hitting .232
    edited July 2014
    So against LHP this year (which will consist of ~90% of his ab's in Oakland) he is hitting .302/400/431 vs LHP. Cespedes against LHP this year is hitting .232

90% - ok !
    I am sure he will continue his .302 average in Oakland.

Interesting insight, hope you are correct.
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Gomes career vs LHP has a 279/379/495 triple slash.
    Cespedes career vs LHP has a 275/348/496 triple slash.

Cespedes career vs RHP has a 257/306/459 triple slash.

So they add Lester and they have to somehow replace a measly 760 OPS? Absolute no brainer.
    edited July 2014
    Tigers land the guy who dominates them. :)
    edited July 2014
    22 million for a #4 starter in Verlander.

:laugh:

Detroit starters more then entire payroll of A's. (A's released highest paid player Johnson)
    edited July 2014
    22 million for a #4 starter in Verlander.

:laugh:

Detroit starters more then entire payroll of A's. (A's released highest paid player Johnson)

If you put the numbers up for their 5 starters without names, Verlander would be in the bullpen come playoff time, :)
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    StevieY wrote: »
    If you put the numbers up for their 5 starters without names, Verlander would be in the bullpen come playoff time, :)

Ausmus won't have the balls, but he definitely should be.