Betting Talk

The Shift

Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
edited July 2014 in Sports Betting
I would like to hear some opinions on the Baseball shift that's being played by all teams. Run production this year is down almost a full run. It was always said at least to my knowledge that if a team scored 5 runs it was a huge favorite to win that game and it seems even more so now. But, with less runs scored the game becomes a little boring even for your baseball fan that likes good pitched low scoring games as myself the game can lose fan support.

We know that most shifts are played against pull hitters (Duh) that are paid to drive in runs via extra base hits or the big fly.
So them slapping the ball to the empty side of the infield isn't going to happen.
IMO it's another check mark for the pitchers. One last thing that's a given and that's the reduced use of juice and I say reduced use. But if this continues and run scoring continues to decline it will eventually have a negative effect on baseball. That's MO anyway and it could be off base but it really bothers when I see 3/4 of the infield on one side.

Comments

• pettifoggerpettifogger Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    I feel your pain on this topic. If I was a Democrat I would suggest that MLB put restrictions on the shift maybe limiting a team to only being able to shift against one opposing player each game. If I was a Republican I would suggest that a batter simply walk off the field if a shift was deployed against him. Since I have a libertarian bent I expect these "sluggers" to get off their dead whiny asses and lace one to the opposite field often enough to cause the dugout defensive geniuses to have second thoughts about their strategy. In other words "Mix in a professional approach every once in a while."
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    The way mlb pitchers are being used have given them a decided edge. This run scoring lull is similar but not as drastic as the late 60's. That's when they were forced to lower the mound elevation. It would be kinda scarely batting right handed versus a mean assed Gibson throwing BBs at you from a hilltop.
    Today's high-tech info gives the defense plenty of pre-pitch preparation. Starters go approx 6, mid relief 2, and then closer. This middle guys are not just filling innings. All-in for 3-6 outs. The batters need more Ernesto Frieri's.
    Solution? If trend continues, lower the mound elevation again and restrict exaggerated shifts.

For those that wanna ruin the game for the sake of run production? Givem aluminum bats:scare:
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Aluminum bats lol we would have one dead closer for Cincinnati so far this year. they're talking about lowering the mound and how serious they're remains to be seen. They need to do something for pitcher injuries also.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    OT, the way sports and litigation are going hand and hand, it wouldn't surprise me that they'd consider putting pitchers on a limit....similar to Little League. Hey look at the NFL. Next thing you know they might have flags on their waistlines. Now the NFL Rules Committee is considering tightening up the illegal contact by defenders on receivers.