Betting Talk

Lock up the American league West

Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
edited July 2014 in Sports Betting
WASHINGTON — The Cubs are making a Fourth of July blockbuster.

The Cubs traded Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel to the Oakland A’s, according to sources familiar with the situation, giving the team that already has the best record in baseball two starters who have been pitching at an All-Star level.

An industry source described shortstop Addison Russell and outfielder Billy McKinney — Oakland’s first-round picks in 2012 and 2013 — as centerpieces to the deal. The Cubs are also said to be getting Dan Straily, a 25-year-old right-hander who went 10-8 with a 3.96 ERA in 27 starts for the A’s last season.

Baseball America ranked Russell and McKinney as the top two prospects in Oakland’s farm system heading into this season. The Cubs will add them to a deep pool of position players — headlined by Kris Bryant and Javier Baez — already performing in the minor leagues.

[MORE CUBS: Frustrated Jason Hammel calls out Cubs over pitch-count limits]

While the sell-off had been anticipated for months, the Cubs acted quickly and decisively before the July 31 deadline.

Samardzija was the longest-tenured player on the team, a Chicago guy who had been on the 2008 team that won 97 games and seen the franchise’s boom-and-bust periods. The two sides found no common ground in more than two years of discussions about a long-term contract extension.

After trying to win a World Series for Billy Beane’s A’s, Samardzija can become a free agent following the 2015 season, intending to test the market and get paid like a frontline starter.

Samardzija had been scheduled to face the Washington Nationals on Saturday, while Hammel complained about getting pulled in the seventh inning of Friday’s 7-2 victory at Nationals Park, exposing some of the tension between the clubhouse and Theo Epstein’s front office.

Comments

• RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Good for both clubs. Oakland right now and Cubs future. I don't know about locking the AL West yet. LAA has 3 consecutive guys no pitcher wants to face.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    It's going to come down to pitching like usual and a lot will depend on Weaver and Wilson But the A's have the bullpen. True it's still somewhat early but it looks done to me. Look at the starting 5 now and the bullpen and with enough hitting and defense. This team will should win the West.
  • BigKahunaBigKahuna Banned
    edited July 2014
    I will take it a step further -A's +500 to win it all.
    Unbelievable trade- 5 of the top 25 pitchers now their rotation. fabulous bullpen and best closer.
    Come on A's!
  • StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited July 2014
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    It's going to come down to pitching like usual and a lot will depend on Weaver and Wilson But the A's have the bullpen. True it's still somewhat early but it looks done to me. Look at the starting 5 now and the bullpen and with enough hitting and defense. This team will should win the West.

We will see how long it takes for the Angels to figure out what Wilson is doing to tip his pitches.

Think the A's had the division anyway but don't think this trade is a blockbuster.

I like Hammel, he cut his teeth in the AL and has shown he can compete. He wasn't great in the AL but I think a 1.20ish whip and mid-upper 3 ERA is what he will bring them and fill in the middle/back of their rotation. Samardjiza on the other hand, has been awful in his interleague games. It's a different style and many career NL pitchers have struggled when going to the AL. His home park should help. Everyone seems to love him. I'm neutral. He has good stuff but people act like he is Wainwright. I remember his start last year against the Angels. He fooled no one, pretty much like all his starts vs the AL(well except Houston).
  • blueblue Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    I think this is a decent trade for the Cubs. Hammel only has a 1 year contract. Samardzija wants $20M a year and while under contract for 1 more year, it will be interesting to see what he eventually gets. Straily will do well in the NL. Not sure how Reed fits in with Baez and Castro, but they will figure it out.
  • kanekane Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    BigKahuna wrote: »
    I will take it a step further -A's +500 to win it all.
    Unbelievable trade- 5 of the top 25 pitchers now their rotation. fabulous bullpen and best closer.
    Come on A's!

Every year when Oakland has a very good team, they always fizzle out in the playoffs, even going back to the Mulder-Hudson-Zito days. They have had some realy good teams, but for whatever reason their regular season success hasn't translated to the post-season. Maybe this year will be different, we'll see.
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    StevieY wrote: »
    We will see how long it takes for the Angels to figure out what Wilson is doing to tip his pitches.

Think the A's had the division anyway but don't think this trade is a blockbuster.

I like Hammel, he cut his teeth in the AL and has shown he can compete. He wasn't great in the AL but I think a 1.20ish whip and mid-upper 3 ERA is what he will bring them and fill in the middle/back of their rotation. Samardjiza on the other hand, has been awful in his interleague games. It's a different style and many career NL pitchers have struggled when going to the AL. His home park should help. Everyone seems to love him. I'm neutral. He has good stuff but people act like he is Wainwright. I remember his start last year against the Angels. He fooled no one, pretty much like all his starts vs the AL(well except Houston).

Pretty much agree with all of this. Assume this sends Chavez to the bullpen which means hammell is taking his spot. Not a huge upgrade there if any similar pitchers. I think Oakland with a bad farm system and so many of their players becoming expensive/free agents in 2-3 years know this is their shot and they were going to be awful in 2017 anyway. Amazing trade for the cubs.
    edited July 2014
    worm33 wrote: »
    Pretty much agree with all of this. Assume this sends Chavez to the bullpen which means hammell is taking his spot. Not a huge upgrade there if any similar pitchers. I think Oakland with a bad farm system and so many of their players becoming expensive/free agents in 2-3 years know this is their shot and they were going to be awful in 2017 anyway. Amazing trade for the cubs.

Actually Tommy Malone got sent down. I know some on here thought he was equal to our #1. Not so much.

Kane, yeah just hasn't translated in the playoffs. Maybe this is the year.

Lastly glad to hear Verlander thinks so highly of himself and his team that he thinks the trade was made for the Tigers. He should worry more about his era then the A's transactions. (yes I know he owns the A's)

Late add, so what do the Cubs do with Castro now that they have the best SS prospect ?
    edited July 2014
    Actually Tommy Malone got sent down. I know some on here thought he was equal to our #1. Not so much.

Kane, yeah just hasn't translated in the playoffs. Maybe this is the year.

Lastly glad to hear Verlander thinks so highly of himself and his team that he thinks the trade was made for the Tigers. He should worry more about his era then the A's transactions. (yes I know he owns the A's)

Late add, so what do the Cubs do with Castro now that they have the best SS prospect ?

Yeh was surprised to see it was milone considering their recent body of work and the fact that Chavez has already thrown more inning this year then has in in his last 8 years of pro ball.
    edited July 2014
    I'm I wrong but don't they have to sent another pitcher down when Hammel arrives today.
    edited July 2014
    I'm I wrong but don't they have to sent another pitcher down when Hammel arrives today.

Brad mills
    edited July 2014
    The interesting part of this is Samardjiza is a rest of the year purchase, something the A's rarely ever do, cuz they will not give him the 20m per he is looking for .
    Hopefully Parker and Griffin come back next year.
    Speaking of the A's , watch for this guy Stephen Vogt, man he can rake and play multiple position including catcher, future looks pretty good.
    edited July 2014
    I thought he was under contract through 2015 and Hammel is the free agent after this year.

I can't stand these A's announcers. Man they're terrible.
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    I thought he was under contract through 2015 and Hammel is the free agent after this year.

Correct.
    edited July 2014

I think Ken Kurach was an announcer here for the LV AAA team. Not a Scully for sure.
    edited July 2014
    Ronbets wrote: »
    I think Ken Kurach was an announcer here for the LV AAA team. Not a Scully for sure.

I don't mind the Play by Play guy much. But the other guy doesn't shut up for second and says some stupid shit.
    edited July 2014

Maybe I had the contract backwards.
    Not great announcers but no where as bad as the Yankees announcers, I was traveling and had to listen to sterling and the lady, omg that might be the worst in the history of man kind.
    edited July 2014
    Sterling and Waldman are very hard to listen to objectively. I couldn't stand Sterling when he was a Braves announcer way back. Check out this call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIBLI7jepwE
    edited July 2014
    Are you guys trying to say you don't like Susan?
    edited July 2014
    Before she had this women's lib gig, she had her own show on the WFAN. Just horrible. Notice did u hear her trying to cover for JS. They tried to reconstruct another Mel Allen, but he was a tough act to fill. Speaking of the late Phil...................canoli's, birthdays and a forever held grudge against Eddie Stanky.

edit: let me try to find the tape when he inferred to Bill White that all blacks look alike. He gotta mulligan on it.
    edited July 2014
    I grew up with Mel Allen. He was up there with the best of them. Shame where losing them all.
    edited July 2014
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Sterling and Waldman are very hard to listen to objectively. I couldn't stand Sterling when he was a Braves announcer way back. Check out this call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIBLI7jepwE
    Oh man that was funny. He did something similar when I was listening , and she is just as bad with her useless comments.

OT bill king and Lon Simmons best I ever heard. IMO
    edited July 2014
    My Top Three

Mel Allen
    Ernie Harwell
    Harry Kalas

That's just three and tell me who's going to replace these guys? Hasn't happen yet.
    I use to listen to these guys on my short wave radio static and all picking up the Phillys and Tiger games sweating a bet.
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    As a very long time Brewer fan I've come to appreciate and genuinely like Bob Uecker. But he's cutting back on some road games, and will be missed when he finally hangs it up.
    edited July 2014
    These are off the top of my head.

Jack Buck (SLou)
    Bob Prince (Pit) more of a homer character
    By Saum (Phl) low dramatic voice. Mighta preceded Kalas who I agree was a-1. "This might leave the ballpark"
    Lyndsay Nelson NYM and Bob Murphy NYM. Jack Murphy stadium named after his war hero bro.
    Chuck Thompson (BLT)
    Joe Tate(CLV) was best noted Cav's announcer.
    Ueke ( Mil) agree BB
    Milo Hamilton ATL not @ Houston
    Ned Martin (BOS)

Yes OT, the old breed is tough to replace. Nobody has to mention Vin Scully.
    edited July 2014
    Since we are talking announcers, see what you guys think.
    Hawk Hurrelson (white sox) love him when I have a bet on Sox, can't stand him otherwise. Lol
  • kdogkdog Senior Member
    edited July 2014
    Hawk Hurrelson (white sox) love him when I have a bet on Sox, can't stand him otherwise. Lol

Can't stand him even with a bet on the White Sox. He's at the top of my hate to listen to list with John Sterling 2nd and McCarver 3rd.
    edited July 2014
    McCarver I thought was the worst but Sterling may have taken the lead, since I have worn out the Mute button with McCarver and Buck over the past decade. BTW Buck should not be allowed to do Cardinal games IMO.
    edited July 2014
    kdog wrote: »
    Can't stand him even with a bet on the White Sox. He's at the top of my hate to listen to list with John Sterling 2nd and McCarver 3rd.

/\
    This exactly
  • BuckyBadgerBuckyBadger Senior Member
    edited July 2014

I'm with kdog and OT on this one