Betting Talk

This finishes -150 or better

13»

Comments

• babaorileybabaoriley Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    On another note: anyone with thoughts about Coburn's continued rant this AM to various media outlets? And I quote: "That would be like me at 6-2 playing basketball with a kid in a wheelchair." I'd think that this negative publicity surrounding the entire group right now is, at the very least, damaging PR for "the people's horse" and his future earning potential via stud fees.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    He makes valid points but this will remain in the minds of the public as sour grapes. I don't understand your reasoning for future stud fees.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    TommyL question for you.

From '97 to 2005 VISA offered a 5 million dollar bonus for a Triple Crown winner. Obviously they didn't have to pay it. They did however insure the bonus. As a person familiar in the actuary field what do you suppose their annual premium was to cover the 5mil?
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited June 2014
    Ronbets wrote: »
    TommyL question for you.

From '97 to 2005 VISA offered a 5 million dollar bonus for a Triple Crown winner. Obviously they didn't have to pay it. They did however insure the bonus. As a person familiar in the actuary field what do you suppose their annual premium was to cover the 5mil?

Honestly, I'd be really surprised if they insured something like this. It seems to me like the type of deal where they'd just attach it to their advertising budget, and should there have been a Triple Crown winner, they figure that the added exposure is worth a good chunk of that 5 million.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    "And it never needed to cram $5 million in small bills into saddlebags to pay a Triple Crown winner. That was covered by insurance premiums that would have paid the bonus.".....NYTimes 6/4/14

I'm guessing the premium would be 500K
  • homerplayerhomerplayer Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    underwraps wrote: »
    Homer, Love you to buddy, and I'm glad you cashed, because if you didn't none of us here would of either. I just seen better ways like most Pro Horse players to spread that $130 against Cali chrome and get a better return than $100 on a $130 investment.

I see, thanks Wraps for that. Next year you will need to advise me on the best strategies should we face this scenario again. Looking back it was even worse than that had Chrome won, but now at 0-13, never gonna see a triple crown winner again. The owners and trainers recognize it, 5 weeks too brutal. Horses that skip one or both have better shot to win.

So confident in that prop that I played a ton of exotics, mostly tris and supers, figuring they were free plays (terrible I know since they all lost). Had a fuckton of 11/9/1 combos in there. Boy that Commander F-ed me out of a huge payday. I even had some tris with Chrome on top just in case. But majority of them started with the 11, the 9 or the 1. Fuck you Commander. Still turned a small profit. Viewed it as a rare opportunity, one available every other year at best. So figured swing for the fences and look to cash some large exotics. We were close. No damage. Plenty of upside.
  • JafarJafar Banned
    edited July 2014
    Jafar wrote: »
    FWIW I'm on Tonalist.

Didn't feel like starting a new thread. I bet on Wildcat Red in the Haskell. Zero value on Untapable.