Betting Talk

This finishes -150 or better

Comments

• StevieYStevieY Senior Handicapper
    edited June 2014
    Ronbets wrote: »
    Nice job Jafar and SY.
    CChrome owner Steven Colborn hits the lotto with a 10k investment with his horse and rants on national tv today and also blasted CDowns after the Derby. This system has been around for over a century and he has the nerve to call some owners/trainers cowards. This man was on a soapbox speaking like he had the tenure of the late Woody Stephens. What a fuken farmer.

Oh, Bob Costas. I loved that data mining about the NY teams etc. GMAFB

He had every right to rip Churchill Downs. They have shit on everything that has to do with horse racing. By the way they are handling their other tracks, they are looking to get out of the race business, outside of the 1st Saturday in May, and into the slot business.
  • RonbetsRonbets Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    That is true about CD, but he's not the guy to blast them. How about addressing the rest of the post?
    edited June 2014
    StevieY wrote: »
    He had every right to rip Churchill Downs. They have shit on everything that has to do with horse racing. By the way they are handling their other tracks, they are looking to get out of the race business, outside of the 1st Saturday in May, and into the slot business.

Hey, he was bitching about the hospitality. IOW they didn't kiss his ass pre-Derby. Btw, the guy looks like a walking heart attack in jeans. He prolly has no clue about the raised % take-out across the board. Here's his comments:

"I've said this once, I've said it 50 times, Churchill Downs needs to call Maryland to get a lesson in hospitality," Coburn said. "Because these people right here(Pim), they've treated us like we're royalty, and I can't say thank you enough."
    The man is out of line in both interviews. A typical case of head gettting big too fast.

Now go ahead and defend this guy.
    edited June 2014
    That is true about CD, but he's not the guy to blast them. How about addressing the rest of the post?

He is as good a person as any. People sticking microphones in his face every day, getting national attention. They treated a co-owner like shit, pretty much par for the course for CD. Ron Turcotte mentioned it and I bet 90% of the people who tuned in to the Derby have no idea who he is or what he said.

If I disagreed with the rest, I would have said so. I understand his frustration but everyone knows the rules. There was a reason very few challenged Secretariat. They knew they were running for 2nd. Now a days, owners will take 2nd place money with huge upside because there hasn't been a truly dominate 3 year old in a long time and 2nd place money in the Belmont is better than 1st place money in a smaller stakes race. The object is to be so fucking good that it doesn't matter. If you have a problem with it though, say it before the race. The TC is supposed to be hard. One big problem is only one trainer/owner cares about the Preakness and that is the Derby winner. Why not rest up and go for the Belmont. If you could only win 1, I don't know anyone out there that would say "I'd rather win the Preakness". The only reasons to enter the Preakness part of the TC trail is if Pimlico is your home track or your horse is a future miler/sprinter who you know can't make the mile and a half.

They don't breed or train horses to run 3 major races in 5 weeks anymore. It's tough. I don't think Chrome shamed himself today in the least but there is a reason only the greats win all 3. There have been no Mine That Bird's on the TC list.
    edited June 2014
    Churchill issued a public apology to the crippled Turcotte.
    edited June 2014
    Hey, he was bitching about the hospitality. IOW they didn't kiss his ass pre-Derby. Btw, the guy looks like a walking heart attack in jeans. He prolly has no clue about the raised % take-out across the board. Here's his comments:

"I've said this once, I've said it 50 times, Churchill Downs needs to call Maryland to get a lesson in hospitality," Coburn said. "Because these people right here(Pim), they've treated us like we're royalty, and I can't say thank you enough."
    The man is out of line in both interviews. A typical case of head gettting big too fast.

Now go ahead and defend this guy.

Do you even know what happened? One of the co-owners is handicapped and they pretty much said get yourself around the 130K people in a wheel chair. Usually tracks will comp horse owners access to the track and if you need special assistance, will help you. Nope. Want to go to the handicapped area at CD, pay for it. Want a handicapped parking pass, $500 please. Ron Turcotte is in the Hall of Fame. His HOF pin is supposed to get him free access to any track in n America. CD? Nope. Doing a documentary at the track. Ok, we will give you access to the museum but you can't have access to the track for the Derby. Handicap parking pass, $500 please. Turcotte did lots of autograph sessions for CD. Can't give him a pass or honor his HOF pin?
    edited June 2014
    Churchill issued a public apology to the crippled Turcotte.

Canned apology. Oh, we didn't know. Bullshit.
    edited June 2014
    Bottomline:
    You don't go off on an event sponsor that just made your team millions and blast them on national tv. Privately would suffice. That would be the classy thing to do. However, the hick Coburn and class are not synonymous.
    edited June 2014
    Don't make it out like I am defending him. He was whining today. That's what most people do. Just because he was dead wrong today doesn't make his comments about CD wrong. He was dead on about CD. There's a reason CD's handle is down over 20%. Many people are boycotting them. They shit on everyone. Giving them publicity for their crap is never a bad thing.
  • JafarJafar Banned
    edited June 2014
    I'm in this for the money. You should be too. I'm apathetic to the track politics. Tonalist ran a great race.

Had a kickball game in Chicago during the day and after I convinced everyone to go to Joe's on Weed in Lincoln Park which has an OTB to watch the race. We won a combined 7k there after I got everyone to bet him with me.
    edited June 2014
    Is is simulcast in-track $$ or do they chop the prices off the top in Chi OTB?
    edited June 2014
    Jafar wrote: »
    I'm in this for the money. You should be too. I'm apathetic to the track politics. Tonalist ran a great race.

Had a kickball game in Chicago during the day and after I convinced everyone to go to Joe's on Weed in Lincoln Park which has an OTB to watch the race. We won a combined 7k there after I got everyone to bet him with me.

Oh, I'm in it for the money, I just make sure anything i bet at CD doesn't get into their pools. :)
  • JafarJafar Banned
    edited June 2014
    Is is simulcast in-track $$ or do they chop the prices off the top in Chi OTB?

Honestly, I have no idea where the money goes.

347uvbr.jpg
  • spiderman77spiderman77 Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    Regarding Coburn's rant, is this a recent trend (the Belmont field not running the prior races) or has it been that way since the previous trio of TC winners? I.e, how many in today's field ran all three races and how many ran all three when Secretariat, Affirmed, and Seattle Slew won?

Note, I know almost nothing about horse racing.
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    640 to win not bad Jafar.. I needed medal count so bad to run 2nd, I would of gotten launched.
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    Jafar wrote: »
    Honestly, I have no idea where the money goes.

347uvbr.jpg

Nice hands, inviting her to the Cayman's
  • JafarJafar Banned
    edited June 2014
    Old-Timer wrote: »
    Nice hands, inviting her to the Cayman's

She is actually a PI lawyer and is now obsessed with me. I asked her how many ambulances my ticket was worth. She ain't coming.
    edited June 2014
    I asked her how many ambulances my ticket was worth.

LOL you shouldn't be saying these things on here. Golfer might get some ideas
  • babaorileybabaoriley Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    underwraps wrote: »
    Man was I rooting for that # 1 medal count to finish second. Oh well at least Tonalist won, so not a bad day.

RIGHT there with you. I played this a lot of different ways but one was a Tri: Tonalist/Medal Count, Samraat/(Field) so Commissioner crashed that party. My day would have been a loss had my very lovely wife not weighed in and told me she liked Commissioner, leading me to bet him across the board. File this under "endearing things that women do": she picked Commissioner because she saw his jockey's last name (Castellano) and thought of a character from a damn sitcom (The Mindy Project). It seemed JUST absurd enough for me to give it a run.
    edited June 2014
    babaoriley wrote: »
    RIGHT there with you. I played this a lot of different ways but one was a Tri: Tonalist/Medal Count, Samraat/(Field) so Commissioner crashed that party. My day would have been a loss had my very lovely wife not weighed in and told me she liked Commissioner, leading me to bet him across the board. File this under "endearing things that women do": she picked Commissioner because she saw his jockey's last name (Castellano) and thought of a character from a damn sitcom (The Mindy Project). It seemed JUST absurd enough for me to give it a run.

Oh Yes, women they have a strange way of picking horses and I've experienced it quite often taking my GF to the track.

Do you think we can ever convince HOMER he made a -EV bet from the start?
    edited June 2014
    Oh Yes, women they have a strange way of picking horses and I've experienced it quite often taking my GF to the track.

Regarding the second question, my 1-word answer: "nofuckingway".

But hey, I'm honestly glad he cashed. I'd still play it the same way I played it with several exotics and a handful of horses eliminated beforehand. I just wish Commissioner wasn't one of those I threw out! And yeah, if only Medal Count would have just managed to sneak in second...
    edited June 2014
    Me too, I'm glad he cashed.
    Medal count had such an awesome rail trip and he looked loaded top of the stretch, until Albarado tipped him out and then he kind of hung.
    I hear you on Commissioner. I always have a hard time gauging Pletcher's horses.
    edited June 2014
    I was the opposite. Commissioner was a definite keep in for me, I threw out Medal Count. Oh well, time for Hong Kong racing until 4 am. :)
    edited June 2014
    Oh well, time for Hong Kong racing until 4 am.
    Good Luck!!! I'm raced out for today.
  • homerplayerhomerplayer Senior Member
    edited June 2014

So a bet that close -150 that i got at -130 was still -EV? (actually don't know if it got higher, checked it 6 and it was up to -150).

You know I love you Wraps, but please elaborate so I can avoid future winners. My evidence would be history, 38 years and counting, and the math provided by five-thirty eight.

So now you stack your data (other than the opinions on here) against mine and we will see which makes more sense.

Only on BT could someone post a pick at -130 that closes -150, wins, and still receive criticism. Wow.
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    I don't know shit about horses, but it seems to me that OP's bet was +ev, but not as +ev as if he had played it other ways like you guys are saying. Yes/no?
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited June 2014

Quick Story, At Del-Mar sitting in the clubhouse first day of 5 and first race has a horse with name I use for non-legal things anyway she said we have to bet this horse I said honey it's a pig not at horse she said "I want to bet it" I said alright give me the money and I'll bet it for you. Well she had it to win and with two other horse's for two straight exacta's. The Horse doesn't get a call and I'm watching and it looks like he's out for workout until the top of the stretch and wins by a neck pays $28 and the exacta comes back $110
    So she starts the day around $400 up and I'm tearing tickets. We should listen on occasion.
    edited June 2014
    Dr. H wrote: »
    I don't know shit about horses, but it seems to me that OP's bet was +ev, but not as +ev as if he had played it other ways like you guys are saying. Yes/no?

Yes Doc, that is what I meant to tell homer.
    edited June 2014
    Dr. H wrote: »

That's a much better way of saying it, yes. And I'm glad he cashed.
    edited June 2014
    You know I love you Wraps, but please elaborate so I can avoid future winners. My evidence would be history, 38 years and counting, and the math provided by five-thirty eight.

Homer, Love you to buddy, and I'm glad you cashed, because if you didn't none of us here would of either. I just seen better ways like most Pro Horse players to spread that $130 against Cali chrome and get a better return than $100 on a $130 investment.