Betting Talk

Massive online courses

duritodurito Senior Member
edited February 2015 in Sports Betting
Changing the subject around here. Anyone out there taking any of these classes (coursera, edx, udacity) ??. Been doing a bunch the last year. Lots of good programming/statistics/machine learning classes that are necessary in sports betting.

Just started this http://online.stanford.edu/course/statistical-learning-winter-2014 this week if anyone wants to join.

Comments

• mjc257mjc257 Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    heard these are good, have never taken any though. i'll try to check one out in the next round of courses.
  • groovinmahoovingroovinmahoovin Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Yeah, I've taken a few of those. U of Michigan has one called "Model Thinking" on Coursera that I found fairly interesting. There are a bunch of Game Theory and a few programming classes I'm going to take next.
  • baseRunnerbaseRunner Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Tibshirani and Hastie are gods in current day statistics. Rob gives very good talks that are easily accessible, even to lay audiences, so I imagine the material will be presented very well. Crucial material for any quantitative sports modeler, especially the cross validation and bootstrapping.
  • dtrain11dtrain11 Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Good stuff, I may join durito. I'll look it up over the weekend. Keep the recommendations coming, these could prove valuable
  • StJoes0610StJoes0610 Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    i clicked around on the site, does it cost money?
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    StJoes0610 wrote: »
    i clicked around on the site, does it cost money?

No, it's all free.
    edited January 2014
    durito wrote: »
    No, it's all free.

wow, thank you very much for this. i greatly appreciate the link i was looking for something like this on the tedtalks site.
    edited January 2014
    They are doing Harvard's introduction to computer science here: https://www.edx.org/course/harvardx/harvardx-cs50x-introduction-computer-1022 Have all year to finish. This is an excellent course IMO.
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited January 2014
    No, it's all free.

Wow, I thought that you were being sarcastic at first. This looks great. And here I thought that $20/year for Pomeroy's stuff was the best bargain out there...
  • Dr. HDr. H Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    I may have to join this. Thanks for posting.
  • KashmirKashmir Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    This is great. I've been very good but only in small markets and my limits are constantly being cut. I am trying to learn how to model with an eye to the big markets. I just picked up a book on building data models in Excel but any advice anyone has would be appreciated.
    edited January 2014
    TommyL wrote: »
    Wow, I thought that you were being sarcastic at first. This looks great. And here I thought that $20/year for Pomeroy's stuff was the best bargain out there...

Yea you can pretty much get a good college education for free. Not sure what the eventually business model of these places look like, they have attracted a ton of students (though only a small % actually finish classes), but eventually it will have to charge something. They are now offering verified certificates in some classes for like $50 where you have to verify your identity. There is a plan between Ga Tech and Udacity to offer an entire masters in Computer Science degree for only $5,000 starting next year I think, but you can do the classes for free still just won't get the degree.
    edited January 2014
    Kashmir wrote: »
    This is great. I've been very good but only in small markets and my limits are constantly being cut. I am trying to learn how to model with an eye to the big markets. I just picked up a book on building data models in Excel but any advice anyone has would be appreciated.

Learn to program and ditch excel. It will be more work at first but you will be grateful in the end.
    edited January 2014
    Learn to program and ditch excel. It will be more work at first but you will be grateful in the end.

Thanks. Any suggestions from you guys on what programs are best for modeling in your opinion?
    edited January 2014

i would love to learn more about programming. at the risk of bothering you further, do you think this would be a good place to start?

http://online.stanford.edu/course/programming-methodology

is there something else that you would recommend? thank you again for passing this along.
  • LowkeyLowkey Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Very general question so it may be tough to answer but how have you found the difficulty of these courses?
    edited January 2014
    Thanks. Any suggestions from you guys on what programs are best for modeling in your opinion?

Learn R.
    edited January 2014

I would learn Python and R. MIT's intro to programming is in Python, there is an edx version but only in the fall. You can do it all yourself basically at MIT open courseware http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-00sc-introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-spring-2011/

This course also gets good reviews though I know nothing about it: https://www.coursera.org/course/interactivepython looks like a session starting in March.

There are also a bunch of courses the use R, like the one I linked in the first post.
    edited January 2014
    I would learn Python and R. MIT's intro to programming is in Python, there is an edx version but only in the fall. You can do it all yourself basically at MIT open courseware http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-00sc-introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-spring-2011/

This course also gets good reviews though I know nothing about it: https://www.coursera.org/course/interactivepython looks like a session starting in March.

There are also a bunch of courses the use R, like the one I linked in the first post.

Thanks a bunch.
    edited January 2014
    i would love to learn more about programming. at the risk of bothering you further, do you think this would be a good place to start?

is there something else that you would recommend? thank you again for passing this along.

Don't know anything about it. Personally I did the MIT opencourseware in Python first a couple of years ago. The cs50 edx Harvard class I mentioned above is really good, but it may be a difficult one to start with. It starts off in C which you probably won't ever use again. My guess would be something like that Rice class I mention would be the best place to start as Python is much easier to pick up.
    edited January 2014
    Lowkey wrote: »
    Very general question so it may be tough to answer but how have you found the difficulty of these courses?

Most of these classes mirror exactly the class at the given university. So even the intro courses at places like Harvard/MIT can be very difficult. However, you can pick and chose what parts you want to do or not.
    edited January 2014

This would not be worthwhile; it is geared toward software engineers and object oriented programmers. Stick with stuff you can run on an interpreter- R is easiest to learn, and will do anything you want as far as statistical analysis. Just install R on your machine, google "Intro to R" and you'll find dozens of university lecture slides that will have you programming in minutes.
    edited January 2014
    baseRunner wrote: »
    This would not be worthwhile; it is geared toward software engineers and object oriented programmers. Stick with stuff you can run on an interpreter- R is easiest to learn, and will do anything you want as far as statistical analysis. Just install R on your machine, google "Intro to R" and you'll find dozens of university lecture slides that will have you programming in minutes.

thank you BR, i have no idea where to start as you can see so this is very helpful. i wish i could provide something of value back to you/durito/others as well.
    edited January 2014
    Not being lazy is a gift in itself. And learning to program is not easy, so good on you for doing it. If you get stuck you can always find help by googling whatever it is you're trying to accomplish. Almost every question you can think of has already been asked and answered.
  • blackbullblackbull Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Cool stuff my man. Some great offerings nowadays online for free. I did a bunch that MIT offered a while back (so not sure if they stiff offer them, but I would think they do) and they were very good. This is what it's all about = continued learning/perpetual adaptation
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Any of you guys that program want to help me make some of my calculations/rankings easier to update? Either partnering up in some fashion or working for cash. I'm wasting too much time manually updating things in excel and then uploading it to a database online. I'd love to learn to program but I'm not going to even pretend right now that I have the time to learn it (online or anywhere else).

I have "models" for everything. Some really good. Some need work/data/backtesting. I need to automate things soon or it's going to be time to pull the plug. As I can't rationalize the amount of time I'm spending just updating rankings.
    edited January 2014
    ebemiss wrote: »
    Any of you guys that program want to help me make some of my calculations/rankings easier to update? Either partnering up in some fashion or working for cash. I'm wasting too much time manually updating things in excel and then uploading it to a database online. I'd love to learn to program but I'm not going to even pretend right now that I have the time to learn it (online or anywhere else).

I have "models" for everything. Some really good. Some need work/data/backtesting. I need to automate things soon or it's going to be time to pull the plug. As I can't rationalize the amount of time I'm spending just updating rankings.

I will contact you.
    edited January 2014
    ebemiss wrote: »

ebe- I'd love to work together on some international bball stuff if you're interested. Let me know.
  • eug44eug44 Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    All the advanced quant shops on wall street are slowly moving away from python and beginning to utilize a language called c# (pronounced c sharp). Apparently its much better for quantitative analysis and data "massaging." To give you a sports handicapping example this is what Voulgaris uses for his models.
    edited January 2014
    eug44 wrote: »
    All the advanced quant shops on wall street are slowly moving away from python and beginning to utilize a language called c# (pronounced c sharp). Apparently its much better for quantitative analysis and data "massaging." To give you a sports handicapping example this is what Voulgaris uses for his models.

lol what. C# been around a lot longer than Python. If anything people are moving in the other direction.