Betting Talk

Massive online courses

Comments

• eug44eug44 Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    You are think C or C++ this is totally different
  • duritodurito Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Any of the C languages is going to be much faster than Python, so hedge funds surely will be programming speed sensitive things there, but programmer time is going to be way worse.

For most sports betting applications (scraping/parsing/extracting data) it would be a pain in the ass. You can also call C from python if you need speed for simulations or whatever.
    edited January 2014
    eug44 wrote: »
    You are think C or C++ this is totally different

No, really I'm not.
  • ebemissebemiss Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    baseRunner wrote: »
    ebe- I'd love to work together on some international bball stuff if you're interested. Let me know.

A lot of leagues and a bunch of opportunities. I'd be interested. The hardest part, after back-testing a league, for me is keeping everything updated after I'm comfortable with each league. Too much time being wasted and other leagues which may be profitable never getting done or even started. Get my email from the administrators
  • baseRunnerbaseRunner Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    eug44 wrote: »
    All the advanced quant shops on wall street are slowly moving away from python and beginning to utilize a language called c# (pronounced c sharp). Apparently its much better for quantitative analysis and data "massaging." To give you a sports handicapping example this is what Voulgaris uses for his models.

Not sure I'd try to copy Voulgaris's approach unless you're also running a simulation based model though. I find it baffling that he can get quants to join his team- his programmers are likely way smarter than him, and could make way more money than him if they put their minds to it. Listening to him talk last year at the Sloan was painful. At one point he actually contends that books should not move their lines in response to the action that comes in, claiming that 10 cents on either side is such a huge advantage that they should just release openers and keep them fixed. Mind boggling.
    edited January 2014
    Not sure I'd try to copy Voulgaris's approach unless you're also running a simulation based model though. I find it baffling that he can get quants to join his team- his programmers are likely way smarter than him, and could make way more money than him if they put their minds to it. Listening to him talk last year at the Sloan was painful. At one point he actually contends that books should not move their lines in response to the action that comes in, claiming that 10 cents on either side is such a huge advantage that they should just release openers and keep them fixed. Mind boggling.

get my email too from info@bettingtalk.com
  • bkszebksze Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    This is really great stuff. Good direction to take me to the next level.

Have any of you guys heard of MatLab? I live in Alberta, and most of the oil companies use mat lab simulations to interpret seismic data. My buddy and I are currently using that platform to model with limited success. We tried doing the CFL and NFL with TSN/ESPN stats and we weren't getting a big enough sample size to determine EV. Seriously contemplating picking up Kostats to take it to the next level but like some of the other guys, finding time to commit is the problem.

I'd be happy to share some work and collaborate with you guys if you see value in my experience. I'm afraid I don't know much about python or R. If you're looking for an additional member, feel free to get my email from BT as well. I do have access to some grunts that can organise work sheets and data entry.
    edited January 2014
    I've not used matlab, it of course has a great reputation, just way too pricey for me when R etc is free.
  • procapprocap Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Badass thread. If the three of you (Ed, durito, bR) decide to start modeling together for any major markets I'd certainly like to get my hands on the end result. All three of you have key atributes to winning long-term in this business. The main reason I decided to start posting plays publicly was to network and see if I can make handicapping my profession. I think my handicapping coupled with your modeling could be very dangerous. Keep me posted on what you guys end up doing.
  • KashmirKashmir Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Outstanding thread. Next week I plan on trying some of this stuff out. Thanks.
  • blackbullblackbull Senior Member
    edited January 2014

Could not agree more with this. Almost said the same thing and then just decided to let it be.
  • gui_m_pgui_m_p Member
    edited January 2014
    There is a Harvard statistic course on probability (34 Lectures):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbB0FjPg0mw&list=PL8UMALp-aNMzR5ab30wOQe4ESjoIElteN
  • underwrapsunderwraps Senior Member
    edited January 2014

Sorry but hes right
    edited January 2014
    underwraps wrote: »
    Sorry but hes right

I just want to clarify my response to baseRunner because I now see it may have been confusing as to my position on the matter. I agree w/ baserunner.

My position: The old model will EVENTUALLY become a dinosaur (still going to take quite a lot of time to reach that extinction, however, which is only slowed by the U.S. situation) and move to the exchange model. It is inevitable. Voulgaris suggesting the opposite direction as baseRunner put it nicely was: "Mind boggling." I would use less kind words.
    edited January 2014
    Bull, All models eventually become dinosaurs. I spoke with a modeler that worked for him that was an ex employee at barclays.
    He told me the eye that Voulgaris has for the Game it self is beyond anything he's ever seen before. So when the model spits out
    the results he's able to re adjust the final # with ease.
    As far as the books leaving the lines the same as the openers, he has every right to say this because he knows most syndicates that are moving those lines
    are complete fools and have no knowledge of the Game at all. I think they call it Irrational Exuberance
    edited January 2014
    lol..
    edited January 2014
    Your wasting your time if you think that a model alone will be successful to make you money in the NBA
    But hey when your done put your money in escrow and I'll be more than happy to take it from you
    edited January 2014
    Bull, All models eventually become dinosaurs. I spoke with a modeler that worked for him that was an ex employee at barclays.
    He told me the eye that Voulgaris has for the Game it self is beyond anything he's ever seen before. So when the model spits out
    the results he's able to re adjust the final # with ease.
    As far as the books leaving the lines the same as the openers, he has every right to say this because he knows most syndicates that are moving those lines
    are complete fools and have no knowledge of the Game at all. I think they call it Irrational Exuberance

My friend, I do not hold Voulgaris in as high esteem as you do.
  • baseRunnerbaseRunner Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Your wasting your time if you think that a model alone will be successful to make you money in the NBA
    But hey when your done put your money in escrow and I'll be more than happy to take it from you

And when you decide to open a shop with static lines, let me know an me and my friends will be happy to do business with you.
    edited January 2014
    baserunner: I never said anything about booking on static lines. I said Voulgaris has every right to say it.
  • lakemonsterlakemonster Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    i had access to all of Bob's plays last year, and he was a significant loser
    edited January 2014
    I'm out here... sorry I intruded bye
    edited January 2014
    Oh I remember now you are guys that have access to all of bobs accounts and see is 70k pin bets, lol.

That was a good thread http://www.bettingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php/173736-2-free-bets-on-spurs-to-win-it-all
  • Fat PolamaluFat Polamalu Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    Durito, are you scraping PGA tour stats from their site?
    edited January 2014
    Durito, are you scraping PGA tour stats from their site?

No, their site is a pain in the ass.
  • mrwanker2umrwanker2u Member
    edited January 2014
    I've taken about half dozen Coursera courses. I highly recommend to this group, computational investing from Georgia tech. Great course. He uses Python, and I think the course would be a stretch if you didn't already know Python.
  • Fat PolamaluFat Polamalu Senior Member
    edited January 2014
    durito wrote: »
    No, their site is a pain in the ass.

Okay, good. :laugh:

I spent a couple months before last season putting together a db/php scraping web app to do what I wanted with their stats. The week I start to put it into action, they change their stats to this new way of feeding the pages. FML.

I believe its using something like JSON now, but I haven't been able to find the feed URL, and ones that I have, it seems they have blocked access. Bastards.
  • KashmirKashmir Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    If someone has no experience in programming, would you recommend learning Python before R? If the goal is to get proficient in R, I didn't want to waste my time with Python. But it sounds like it would be easier to learn. If anyone has any input, I would love to hear it.
    Thanks
  • groovinmahoovingroovinmahoovin Senior Member
    edited February 2014
    I can't really "help" but I can say that I'm going to be doing the same thing in the next couple months. (Learning Python and then moving onto R.) If I can think of anything useful I'll revisit this thread, will also mention some other free online courses I discover.
  • shackfu99shackfu99 Junior Member
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, I've taken a few of those. U of Michigan has one called "Model Thinking" on Coursera that I found fairly interesting. There are a bunch of Game Theory and a few programming classes I'm going to take next.

Was it this one. I also found 1 from Stanford. has anyone taken the Stanford course?
    https://www.coursera.org/course/modelthinking