Betting Talk

Can Daily Fantasy Sports be +EV?

pufferfishpufferfish Senior Member
edited June 2014 in Sports Betting
I've toyed around with some daily fantasy sports sites in the past, but it's been awhile. Has anyone found they can be +EV with their rake structures?

Any sites that seem to have more fish than others or any other general advice anyone cares to share?

Thanks.

Comments

• RightAngleRightAngle Admin
    edited September 2013
    I haven't spent much time on these sites, but I would imagine there would be plenty of +EV opportunities, you just might have issues getting desired stakes and volume.
  • Casper WareCasper Ware Senior Member
    edited September 2013
    Google some of the stiff jobs in these fantasy leauges, one site ran off with a million
  • mjc257mjc257 Senior Member
    edited September 2013
    I did very well in baseball at draftstreet for a few weeks (and very poorly in golf), but I couldn't get enough volume to make it worth my time personally. I think it can be +EV, but I think it's tougher to overcome to the entry fees than people think. A $55 head to head league at draftstreet is equivalent to laying -122 on a sports bet. So regardless of how good you are or how square the competition is, needing to hit 55% to break even doesn't leave a ton of room for profit.
  • SenecaKrookkSenecaKrookk Junior Member
    edited September 2013
    On Millman's podcast earlier this year he talked about Daily Fantasy and its growing market. The podcast mentioned +EV situations if I recall correctly and talked about how some guys are making a killing with daily fantasy. Furthermore, Millman detailed the parallels between daily fantasy market and the sports betting market. The podcast was titled "Is daily fantasy sports a form of gambling" released on 3/12 of this year. It is worth a listen in my opinion
  • baseRunnerbaseRunner Senior Member
    edited September 2013
    One thing you might want to look into is playing the larger tourneys- most players have no real grasp of how to play, and so the rake structure for those is actually a little easier to beat, given that the competition is less skilled, overall. Even the smaller 10 person leagues will generally have 4+ players who choose pretty poor lineups. Of course, to get a larger volume in play you generally have to play lots of heads up matches. And if you are interested in playing higher limits, it's tougher to find enough mediocre opponents to make those worth your while. However, there's likely to be a large influx of casual players over the next few years, so if you hone your strategy now, it might pay off in spades in the future.
  • nuddernudder Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    baseRunner wrote: »
    However, there's likely to be a large influx of casual players over the next few years, so if you hone your strategy now, it might pay off in spades in the future.

Exactly why i'm trying to get in now. I hope more and more people flock over from season-long leagues. (I for one like daily MLB much more than season-long MLB, but still like season-long NFL more than weekly NFL.) I know for certain this can be +EV, just a matter of "honing my strategy" before the boom.
  • Bad ScooterBad Scooter Junior Member
    edited June 2014
    Ok. I give in. I'm not sure what I'm doing, but I'm going to try out daily MLB.