Betting Talk

Direct TV - That time of year

Comments

• vegas dixvegas dix Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    bixler wrote: »
    It does seem expensive but 17 weeks for $179.94 (after the $20/6 mth discount) is only $10.58 per week....

I can drink more beer and eat more food than that every week....LOL
    not as fun
  • tiptontipton Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    Anyone able to get the Red Zone channel on Direct TV for free as a stand alone channel?

check the thread in the forums on slickdeals.net many people were able to add the red zone stand alone through retentions.
  • bixlerbixler Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    tipton wrote: »
    check the thread in the forums on slickdeals.net many people were able to add the red zone stand alone through retentions.

Yeah, I noticed that....I was asking more for the people in here.
  • bpd67bpd67 Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    I've called 2 times in the last month to try and get the sunday ticket\free 5 months of premier deal and they wouldn't budge. I already got the $20 a month credit on the sunday ticket so I'm alright with that.
  • SunBelterSunBelter Senior Member
    edited September 2010
    bpd67 wrote: »
    I've called 2 times in the last month to try and get the sunday ticket\free 5 months of premier deal and they wouldn't budge. I already got the $20 a month credit on the sunday ticket so I'm alright with that.

Same here. They say you have to be contacted randomly by a 3rd party vendor to get the deal.
    edited July 2011
    Watching the All-Star game last night and new subscribers are now getting NFL Sunday Ticket, including the To-Go package, free when they sign up with at least the Choice Xtra package which is only $34.99 for the first year ($65.99 after that). This used to be free only if you got the $83.99 (for 12 months) Premier package.

Pretty sweet deal for anyone looking to sign up and watch some NFL. And if they wouldn't play this year, you would get the 2012 season for free.

Time to call in and get my annual existing customer discount.......:thumbup:
  • TommyLTommyL Super Moderator
    edited July 2011
    They screwed me big time when I moved a few weeks ago, canceling two different appointments at the last minute since the tech didn't ahve the equipment that I needed for the upgrade I was requesting. Good news is that they gave me $270 worth of credits to make up for it. Bad news is that it'll probably be too soon to get anything else out of them for the Sunday Ticket.
    edited July 2011
    bixler, what kind of discounts are you getting? My contract is up so I can play the I'm leaving game this year, so just curious.
    edited July 2011
    bpd67 wrote: »
    bixler, what kind of discounts are you getting? My contract is up so I can play the I'm leaving game this year, so just curious.

I got a $150 credit for adding Sunday Ticket. Think I can do better than that but I'll wait a month or so to try again. I called in to find out what my ETF would be and she offered a one time $150 credit. I also have $10 off a month for the Sports Package. You should be able to get a few credits if you are out of contract. Just say cancel when you call in and you will get sent to retentions. Tell the CSR you have been getting offers from your local cable company and from Dish. Just be prepared to let them know how much cheaper you could switch....like by switching you would be saving $40 a month and you would get a $100 gift card or something. Maybe you can get a one time credit plus monthly credits.
  • kiphollykipholly Junior Member
    edited July 2011
    They offer SundayTicket for free if you sign up for new service.
    edited July 2011
    kipholly wrote: »
    They offer SundayTicket for free if you sign up for new service.

Post #37 above............
    edited July 2011
    Seeing various message boards with people being able to have just the RedZone channel added for free (I believe it is channel 703). Many people were able to have this added last year for free as well and it looks like it's continuing this year.
    edited July 2011
    Looks like a deal might be done tonight. Hall of Fame preseason game is canceled but that might be the only game missed.

Call in and get your deals!
  • milleroumillerou Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    I called in today and got a $175 credit making my total for the Sunday Ticket $149 and also another $7 a month credit for 12 months so basically I got the Ticket for $84 for this year. All I told them was that I travel a lot and wouldn't be able to use so I either needed a deal or I was going to drop it.
  • LUCKY777LUCKY777 Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    Looks like a deal might be done tonight. Hall of Fame preseason game is canceled but that might be the only game missed.

Call in and get your deals!
    They are showing all preseason games now to DIRECTV subscribers with NFL Sunday Ticket??
    edited July 2011
    I called and canceled my autobill for the ST, they didn't offer me anything. Got mad, called back and threatened to cancel service (i'm out of contract). They bumped me to Choice programming (i had select), gave me 3 months free starz, 3 months free showtime, I told them I wanted the Red Zone Channel (really all I watched on ST anyway). She gave me that too. I'm getting a $25 a month credit for the next 2 years to offset all the costs. My bill went down $4 a month. No new contract. I'm happy.
    edited July 2011
    LUCKY777 wrote: »
    They are showing all preseason games now to DIRECTV subscribers with NFL Sunday Ticket??

Not that I know of....did you hear that somewhere?
  • LUCKY777LUCKY777 Senior Member
    edited July 2011
    Didn't you say the Hall of Fame Game is canceled but that might be the only game missed?
    edited July 2011
    LUCKY777 wrote: »
    Didn't you say the Hall of Fame Game is canceled but that might be the only game missed?

Yes, on July 21 when the owners reached an agreement they said the HOF game was canceled. I said I thought that would be only game missed because I figured the players would agree before week 1 of the preseason was missed, which they did. I simply stated that because people were afraid to sign up fearing there would be missed regular season games. So, the HOF game is canceled and that is the only game that will be missed.
    edited August 2011
    Called on Sunday afternoon and got the Ticket free for this year plus $10 HD service credit for 6 months. Spoke to the retention department and mentioned all the ads I'm seeing on tv regarding free Sunday Ticket and if that is something they are offering existing long time customers. First offer was half price for the season and then I mentioned free again for new customers and the CSR said, I can do that for your account. BINGO. Didn't even ask for anything else, he just applied the HD service credit and I didn't even have to sign up for auto-pay.
  • MikeRASMikeRAS Senior Handicapper
    edited August 2011
    Is 1-800-824-9081 the number to attempt this. How long have you been a customer?
  • jak2403jak2403 Member
    edited August 2011
    Told me I had to get the premium package at $114 a month and keep for 6 months and I could get the NFL ticket for free. Works out to be almost the same price. Will have to try again.
  • MikeRASMikeRAS Senior Handicapper
    edited August 2011
    Under my most recent contract at my new house I have only been a customer since spring of 2009 and I had 8 months left on my contract since I got some box upgrades 16 months ago with 2 year agreements.

Called the regular DTV number and told the automated system I was interested in cancelling service. That gets you to the retention department where I said I was interested in what it would cost to buy my contract out because I have been receiving some great deals from Fios asking me to do their triple play and it was much easier to get the Red Zone package cheaper through them. With no haggling I got 24 months of a $15 Credit ($360), 24 months of free HD which equates to $10 Credit a month ($240) and half off Starz which equates to approx $6.50 off for 12 months. And got free Red Zone Channel for the year. For about 10 minutes of work highly worth it.
  • LatchdogLatchdog Member
    edited August 2011
    What is Fios for those of us not in the know? Appreciate it....
    edited August 2011
    MikeRAS wrote: »
    Under my most recent contract at my new house I have only been a customer since spring of 2009 and I had 8 months left on my contract since I got some box upgrades 16 months ago with 2 year agreements.

Called the regular DTV number and told the automated system I was interested in cancelling service. That gets you to the retention department where I said I was interested in what it would cost to buy my contract out because I have been receiving some great deals from Fios asking me to do their triple play and it was much easier to get the Red Zone package cheaper through them. With no haggling I got 24 months of a $15 Credit ($360), 24 months of free HD which equates to $10 Credit a month ($240) and half off Starz which equates to approx $6.50 off for 12 months. And got free Red Zone Channel for the year. For about 10 minutes of work highly worth it.

Sweet deal....and to answer your prior questions...yes I called 1-800-824-9081. Have been a customer since October 2008 but upgraded a receiver in Jan 2010 so I am still under contract until Jan 2012.
    edited August 2011
    Latchdog wrote: »
    What is Fios for those of us not in the know? Appreciate it....

It is Verizon's tv service......FIber Optic Services
    edited August 2011
    jak2403 wrote: »
    Told me I had to get the premium package at $114 a month and keep for 6 months and I could get the NFL ticket for free. Works out to be almost the same price. Will have to try again.

That's a decent deal if you like the premium movie channels. Basically you are paying for Sunday Ticket and getting the movie channels for free....or vice versa.

I'd go the route of MikeRAS and tell them you are thinking about canceling due to having getting better deals from your local cable provider and/or Dish Network. I'd also mention new customers are getting it for free and your with Direct TV for the Sunday Ticket package but you looking at switching because it's too expensive. Make sure you call 1-800-824-9081 and say 'cancel service' at the voice prompts....this will get you to retentions where you can get the deals.
  • worm33worm33 Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    Took me literaly 4 minutes, and I got $22 off for my basic programming for 12 months, and $20/month off sunday ticket. So about $400 in savings for the year. I just said cancel, cancel, and when I got to the retentions I said im thinking about cancelling service. That was about it.
    edited August 2011
    worm33 wrote: »
    Took me literaly 4 minutes, and I got $22 off for my basic programming for 12 months, and $20/month off sunday ticket. So about $400 in savings for the year. I just said cancel, cancel, and when I got to the retentions I said im thinking about cancelling service. That was about it.

Nice!
  • fratboyfratboy Senior Member
    edited August 2011
    Dealing with the DTV Rentention Department worked out pretty good for me also. Ended up with $40 off a month for the six months during the Sunday Ticket scheduled payment period and $20 off per month the next 6 months. Works out rather well with the refer a friend discount I already have in play.