edited September 2009
    yeah....it's time to short
  • ShacroShacro Senior Member
    edited September 2009
    Any help with 'ONTY'?

Check out the ticker.
  • acetotenacetoten Senior Member
    edited September 2009
    a friend of mine talked me into buying some stocks, which i did, i figure what the hell.....
    was just wondering if any of you may know anything about these stocks....
    i bought them a couple months ago or so

i bought rvs.v a gold mining stock out of canada

and rptn .ob a technology stock having to deal with high speed switches and all...

i bought them at .18 and .19 respectively

he says they have a good chance at going to a couple dollars in a year or so...

has anyone had any luck with penny stocks like these???

i find the mining stock very interesting..an article came out a month or so about how they found over a million ounces of gold somewhere in africa... my source says the company will eventually sale this company to a bigger company that can actually go in and set up a large mining company and get the gold out....

any info is appreciated
    thanx
  • CoopsCoops Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    TheReb -

Lets just start this thread up, I dont think Ed, Goats, Tommy mind.

If Im wrong, please let me know Mods, if not, we can use this thread to share opinions/tips/etc.
  • TheRebTheReb Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    Shacro wrote: »
    Any help with 'ONTY'?

Check out the ticker.

Owned this before, spec on cancer immunotherapy (see Dendreon), this is thought to be the new way of attacking cancer with your own immune system. My son is actually in this area of study (third year med. school) and he is the one that turned me on to DNDN before it went through the roof. They (Dendreon) were the pioneers of getting an FDA approval for the first cancer "vaccine". This is where ONTY is in trials for non small cell lung cancer. Spec. but if positive results in their phase III trials then has great upside.

Coops, I don't mind if they don't but have a feeling it will dominate discussion at times and could cause a clutter, guess we'll see how it goes.
  • eug44eug44 Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    Do everything you can to avoid penny stocks. Avoid Canadian companies (especially mining companies at all costs). I think like 95% of stocks under $1 go bust within 18 months, it’s a horrible gamble and Canadian companies are known to be fraudulent. I work in the industry and have never met anyone that was able to invest or gamble even remotely by buying penny stocks. My two cents (no pun intended).

I'll look into ONTY
  • rhinocerosrhinoceros Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    acetoten wrote: »
    a friend of mine talked me into buying some stocks, which i did, i figure what the hell.....

and rptn .ob a technology stock having to deal with high speed switches and all...

i find the mining stock very interesting..an article came out a month or so about how they found over a million ounces of gold somewhere in africa... my source says the company will eventually sale this company to a bigger company that can actually go in and set up a large mining company and get the gold out....

any info is appreciated
    thanx

rvs looks more like a stock scam than a real company. A gold mining stock listed in Vancouver? Smells awful. 3mm cash, 2mm working capital, $80mm mkt cap. Wow. I see you have a nice profit nonetheless. Take the money and run.

I can't even find rptn.

How good a friend is this "friend?" He is either naive or dishonest. Stay away from penny stocks unless you are very knowledgeable and very experienced.
  • GoatsGoats Head Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Coops wrote: »

Lets just start this thread up, I dont think Ed, Goats, Tommy mind.

If Im wrong, please let me know Mods, if not, we can use this thread to share opinions/tips/etc.

We allow stuff far more off-topic than the stock market. Have at it!
  • Old-TimerOld-Timer Senior Member
    edited December 2012

any info is appreciated

thanx

Dude Pump and Dump unless you have an in with the right people your just making other people money. Beware of the dreaded reverse split..
  • DubbsDubbs Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    Not sure if anyone's heard, or paid attention to 3D Printing, but apparently the technology is insane! I picked up DDD a few months ago, a day before a quarterly report (on a hunch) at $38/share. It went up $5 the next day, and is currently at $52. On the lower end, and to piggy-back off of 3D Printing, ONVO reproduces human organs through 3D printers. It trades around $2/share but if this technology ever becomes acknowledged/approved, it could skyrocket.

Just a couple thoughts, but I would enjoy some Stock threads.
    edited December 2012
    Dubbs wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone's heard, or paid attention to 3D Printing, but apparently the technology is insane! I picked up DDD a few months ago, a day before a quarterly report (on a hunch) at $38/share. It went up $5 the next day, and is currently at $52. On the lower end, and to piggy-back off of 3D Printing, ONVO reproduces human organs through 3D printers. It trades around $2/share but if this technology ever becomes acknowledged/approved, it could skyrocket.

Just a couple thoughts, but I would enjoy some Stock threads.

Funny you mention ONVO, I picked up 2k shares today (spec play) as you mentioned, they are doing a deal with Autodesk on the printing end Had it on my radar and decided to partake today.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/organovo-partners-autodesk-research-develop-132500125.html

You own some Dubbs?
  • DubbsDubbs Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    TheReb wrote: »
    Funny you mention ONVO, I picked up 2k shares today (spec play) as you mentioned, they are doing a deal with Autodesk on the printing end Had it on my radar and decided to partake today.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/organovo-partners-autodesk-research-develop-132500125.html

You own some Dubbs?

Yes sir, I picked it up same time as DDD. I look at it as hopeful/possible big reward with little risk.
  • BetThemDogsBetThemDogs Senior Member
    edited December 2012

any info is appreciated
    thanx

I've played penny stocks for years, and made a bunch of money. Of course, you usually can't buy a lot of $$ worth without chasing the price up. Nothing wrong with Vancouver-- you've just got to understand that 90% of these little companies either go broke, or keep selling stock to raise money until you're diluted out of them (reverse splits are the bane of penny stocks). Check out the officers-- some are out-and-out scam artists.

Just remember the Golden Rule--- ALWAYS take a profit on a quick rise. And don't believe everything the company says.

I'm currently in several Australian companies who are drilling for oil here in the States. Check them out.

LVLEF-- Lynden Energy (Canadian)-- .88
    AZZEF-- Antares Energy-- .56
    MLOOF-- Molopo Energy-- .44

And the star of the bunch ( I'm looking at the $3-4 dollar range for this one)-- SDCJF-- Sundance Energy-- .85

If anyone's interested, I can give you a number of stocks under $5 drilling in the Bakken in North Dakota and the Eagle Ford in Texas-- as well as the Permian Basin in Texas.

You your own due diligence.
    edited December 2012
    Will have more to write tomorrow, recently been focused on closed end funds that pay nice dividends. Best I've found is USA, mirrors the S&P basically and pays quarterly dividend, forget the amount but its good and reliable.
  • homerplayerhomerplayer Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    Without getting into too much detail, and open myself to risk, i work in...let's call it the financial field. i never knew what a huge scam the stock market was until now. by the time a company goes public, it is too late to make real money. the majority of them will lose money or be gone in a few years. everyone can name apple and google because they are glaring exceptions.

handling some of the shit for FB...holy fucking shit is the fix in!!!!

don't know how much i should divulge so you guys know i ain't bullshitting, without getting myself terminated.

being on the other side of the curtain now...it is just like what we do with the same success rate.

sorry for the downer, but reality sucks...
    edited December 2012
    Homer player - I have to disagree, I have numerous +even methods that always gain money. Also, with spy options you can also make a killing, I was long Monday and Today and make a giant profit. I don't mess with the designer stocks and that may be what you are talking about? Also, I agree best to get in early, before IPO, and that's easy enough these days. When/If Spotify ever goes public I hope to make a fortune.
  • homerplayerhomerplayer Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    i'm talking little known ones as well, like EVER.

your example does sound like what successful bettors have: money, time, strong work ethic and tons of research. and if there is money to be made, it also suggests you are going to face more and more competition.

but the average investor is fucked before even getting in the game.
  • buythehookbuythehook Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    Without getting into too much detail, and open myself to risk, i work in...let's call it the financial field. i never knew what a huge scam the stock market was until now. by the time a company goes public, it is too late to make real money. the majority of them will lose money or be gone in a few years. everyone can name apple and google because they are glaring exceptions.

handling some of the shit for FB...holy fucking shit is the fix in!!!!

don't know how much i should divulge so you guys know i ain't bullshitting, without getting myself terminated.

being on the other side of the curtain now...it is just like what we do with the same success rate.

sorry for the downer, but reality sucks...

With all due respect, I have disagree with your opinion. I have many ppl come into my office and say the stock market is gambling or it is a fraud. I guess it all depends on what part of the market ur talking about. You mentioned penny stocks or even Facebook... Those are individual stocks or a particular sector of the market.

I mainly deal in municipal bonds, unit investment trusts, mutual funds, exchange traded funds and annuities. I have made a lot of money for the clients that have listened to my advice.

Like gambling, investing in the stock market take money management. Most investors can't invest their own money, because " money equals emotions" and they make too many mistakes.

Most ppl are buying when they should be selling and selling when they should be buying. Always chasing!! Never sticking to their investment plan. That's why I cant stand Suzie Orman. Anyone can buy a mutual fund, but when ur 50k goes to 30k, most ppl get emotional and sell out of the market. They need guidance and someone to protect them from themselves.

Even in 2008-2009, all my clients lost some money on " paper ", but the ones that listened to me and made some small adjustments made all there money back and then some. The really smart ones added money when the market was 50% and made a killing!! The media never talks about that.... Only negative shit.

Ppl come in my office looking to hit a homerun on penny stocks all the time.... Very hard and difficult.
    edited December 2012
    The thing is the average investor does not realize everything that is available to them. Most are not educated in the market enough to take advantage of the opportunities that level the playing field ie., selling options to take advantage of premium or for proper hedging purposes etc. A great example would be my in laws who like a lot of elderly that have large retirement portfolio's when the crisis hit they get like a deer in the headlights and freeze up. They are with an ultra conservative firm like Edward Jones which does not allow them to partake in options (which for the most part I understand why) but they should allow them to sell covered calls or buy cheap out of the money index puts to hedge in downturns, etc. Instead they get the typical advice of "your long term so you should not worry about these short term corrections etc." so they typically lose sleep at night when they could be resting a lot easier if they were making money on the downturns or at least limiting the losses having sold premiums etc. As Coops and BTH stated it is usually the ones that have gotten buried from bad advice or looking for the quick 10x bagger that give the market a bad wrap, similar to sour sports bettors that say "you can't win long term betting sports" but the ones that understand money mgmt. and where the +EV is in all situations such as a Goats, Stevie, etc. can come out ahead and do very well in the long run. I'm glad we started this thread as it may open up some eyes and ideas and help some make a bit of extra cash or better yet save some from losing $$$ frivolously. I believe there are some very well market educated people on here that can help others just like experienced bettors/cappers etc. Homer don't close your mind to what +EV opportunities are still available out there. -R
  • BookbrakerBookbraker Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    edited December 2012
    Bookbraker wrote: »

For today Im buying Dec '22 calls @ 145 on SPY trading around .75 cents. Think its another up day so will ride the wave.
    edited December 2012
    Bookbraker wrote: »

I had mentioned OPK as a spec play as the main man inside has been buying up stock almost on a daily basis, he has a solid track record and made quite a bit on two previous companies he was involved with. They have a good deal of potential when looking at their pipeline. I spec in mainly biotech's and some financials, most are long term (not daily trades) although I will sometimes trade a certain percentage of the holdings as it meets technical targets. Will post others as they come down the road. Currently holding SNFCA, bought that in Aug. avg. 2.3 has had an unbelievable (believable if you looked at their earnings) run the past 5 mos. trading over 10+ today, have lightened position over 70% will buy on any significant dips. We discussed a little bit on ONVO another very speculative play that could have great upside.
    edited December 2012
    For today Im buying Dec '22 calls @ 145 on SPY trading around .75 cents. Think its another up day so will ride the wave.

Think you need to stress that these expire in 72 hrs. so the time element/premium will evaporate fairly quickly ;-)
    edited December 2012
    Think you need to stress that these expire in 72 hrs. so the time element/premium will evaporate fairly quickly ;-)

yea, i trade these daily, been doing it for years. always do the weeklys, and buy/sell swtiching sides throughout the day. If/When they reach a resolution for the debt ceiling these could easily sky rocket, so Ive been longer recently in hopes something gets announced and market takes off.
    edited December 2012
    Believe me, I understand but can't assume everyone is on same page and it's kind of like getting a bad number in sports if they just blindly chase if you know what I mean...having said that I will mention one more, SQNM just got some news today that their pre natal diagnostic is necessary according to Wellpoint. You can pick up some cheap Jan 5 calls for a quick play.
  • nvralocknvralock Senior Member
    edited December 2012
    Owned this before, spec on cancer immunotherapy (see Dendreon), this is thought to be the new way of attacking cancer with your own immune system. My son is actually in this area of study (third year med. school) and he is the one that turned me on to DNDN before it went through the roof. They (Dendreon) were the pioneers of getting an FDA approval for the first cancer "vaccine". This is where ONTY is in trials for non small cell lung cancer. Spec. but if positive results in their phase III trials then has great upside.

Coops, I don't mind if they don't but have a feeling it will dominate discussion at times and could cause a clutter, guess we'll see how it goes.

Bad press release stock was hammered at the opening today
    edited December 2012
    nvralock wrote: »
    Bad press release stock was hammered at the opening today

Ouch, that's why they're called specs, if those phase III trials go the wrong way (which happens more often than not) the bottom falls out. The sadder news is for those that have the disease, as losing a few bucks pales in comparison to losing hope for extending life with a successful drug.
    edited December 2012
    This is what I have for longer term:

• Long SX5E Feb. 3000 calls
    • Long FTSE Dec. 2013 5700 straddles
    • Long SX5E/FTSE Dec. 2016-Dec. 2013 varswap spread
    • Short NKY/FTSE Dec. 13 varswap spread
    edited December 2012

12:52 Update: Executed this @ .65 cents, trading at .64 cents now... Choppy day with low volume. Only bought 10 contracts so letting it roll. The last two weeks of December usually suck for options do to low volume, but fiscal cliff is giant unknown, makes these options pricded low IMO
    edited December 2012

Have a trigger in for the following @ 20 to open @ .70, gives an extra week (although holidays in there) but if you look at the open interest in the ones you were buying today it's the largest open interest for the strike so given that the market tries to exude the most pain come expiration figured it will settle pretty close to 1450 come friday...thus taking the extra few days for a hopeful annual holiday pop in thin trading ;-)

Contract Expiration Dec 28, 2012 Days to Expiration 9
    Bid 0.79 B/A size 1142X10
    Ask 0.80 Last size 1
    Last 0.77 Last trade Wed Dec 19 2012 15:00:43
    Change -0.31 Open 1.18
    Change % -28.70% Close 1.08
    Volume 15,820 High 1.18
    Open interest 27,200 Low 0.73